I do NOT want to be cured for Autism Spectrum Disorder!

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 2:49 pm

Life with ASD can be (and certainly is) hard, especially when it comes to social relations and stuff like that.

But the last thing in this world I would want, is a cure for my ASD. It is who I am. ASD is a very much integrated part of who I am. I do not want to be another person. I could as well die, actually I would rather die a horribly painful death than accepting a cure for my ASD.

But because I depend on public welfare programs, if there ever come a cure for ASD the law says I must accept that cure. Even though it would dramatically change who I am as an individual. People on welfare have absolutely no right to individual liberty in my country.

Which is the reason I outright HATE scientists who tries to work out a cure for autism. I hate autism research. I feel disgust and contempt towards research in autism.

I HATE curebies!

Am I alone?

Last edited by thinkinginpictures on 01 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 3:02 pm

I don't agree with you, but there are plenty of people here who do. So no, you are not alone.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2016, 3:21 pm

The majority of Aspies agree with you and don't want a cure.. I on the other hand wouldn't mind a cure because it would dramatically take so much weight off my shoulders.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 3:31 pm

<--- Doesn't want to be "cured" of Autism. Doesn't think HFA is a disorder anyway. If it is then so is being left-handed, gay or shorter than Napoleon.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

One aspect of ASD that I've never wanted to get rid of was my tendency to listen to the same thing over and over again, often for a very long time; I would often be in motion. Even in adolescence, in the face of pressure from my dad and my desire to be "normal," I realized that I never wanted to get rid of this particular behavior, no matter how strange it might come across to others.

Other than that, I do wish certain aspects of life were easier.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jan 2016, 8:01 pm

I relate with not wanting a cure but I have researched & found meds that help with some of my comorbids like my anxiety & OCD.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 8:07 pm

Nobody should be forced against their will into being cured of autism.

As for me, I've prayed in the past to exchange my Aspie giftedness
for a normal life, with family and friends.
The answer, more than once, has been no.
So I will simply do my best
to be who I am.

As for some sort of medical cure,
I wouldn't want one.
Because who knows what the side effects might be?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm

as much as i don't want to be cured i think i need to be cured, that way i could enjoy life like everyone else but instead i have a hard time just going to the mall or school.. and antidepressants only help a little.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:50 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Life with ASD can be (and certainly is) hard, especially when it comes to social relations and stuff like that.

But the last thing in this world I would want, is a cure for my ASD. It is who I am. ASD is a very much integrated part of who I am. I do not want to be another person. I could as well die, actually I would rather die a horribly painful death than accepting a cure for my ASD.

But because I depend on public welfare programs, if there ever come a cure for ASD the law says I must accept that cure. Even though it would dramatically change who I am as an individual. People on welfare have absolutely no right to individual liberty in my country.

Which is the reason I outright HATE scientists who tries to work out a cure for autism. I hate autism research. I feel disgust and contempt towards research in autism.

I HATE curebies!

Am I alone?

First of all - There will never be a cure for something that is not an ailment! We're not sick. We're different. The common cold is something to be cured. Having brown hair isn't!

actually I would rather die a horribly painful death than accepting a cure for my ASD.
That's a little melodramatic. I bet if you were on the table, about to be killed, you'd change your tune!

But I get where you're coming from and I agree with you. I don't need 'curing'. I'm not sick. I'm just different and have always preferred to be who I am and have never tried to pretend to be anything other than what I am - I like me just the way I am thank you very much!

I don't suffer from the social part of it because I'm a happy loner - although I do admit, when I'm forced to be in a social situation, I'd rather chew my right leg off than to be there (another exaggeration).

I live my life according to my needs and wants and I'm very happy. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

I'm an Aspie and I'm proud to be able to say, regardless of what you label me as having, I'm happy with me. I didn't even know I had Aspergers until I was 40 something. But it makes no difference to me. I can see that is what I am now, but still, it makes no difference. I've never compromised my beliefs or actions just to fit in. Even when I was young, at school, I knew I was different but I didn't care. I liked being different - I just didn't know there was a name for why I was different.

NO - I wouldn't change me for the world - but please, let's not let it come down to killing me because I'm different. Just accept that I'm different. Better still, Just leave me alone. That's how I'm happiest!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:54 pm

I HATE curebies!

Am I alone?

First of all - There will never be a cure for something that is not an ailment! We're not sick. We're different. The common cold is something to be cured. Having brown hair isn't!

actually I would rather die a horribly painful death than accepting a cure for my ASD.
That's a little melodramatic. I bet if you were on the table, about to be killed, you'd change your tune!

But I get where you're coming from and I agree with you. I don't need 'curing'. I'm not sick. I'm just different and have always preferred to be who I am and have never tried to pretend to be anything other than what I am - I like me just the way I am thank you very much!

I don't suffer from the social part of it because I'm a happy loner - although I do admit, when I'm forced to be in a social situation, I'd rather chew my right leg off than to be there (another exaggeration).

I live my life according to my needs and wants and I'm very happy. It has nothing to do with anyone else.

I'm an Aspie and I'm proud to be able to say, regardless of what you label me as having, I'm happy with me. I didn't even know I had Aspergers until I was 40 something. But it makes no difference to me. I can see that is what I am now, but still, it makes no difference. I've never compromised my beliefs or actions just to fit in. Even when I was young, at school, I knew I was different but I didn't care. I liked being different - I just didn't know there was a name for why I was different.

NO - I wouldn't change me for the world - but please, let's not let it come down to killing me because I'm different. Just accept that I'm different. Better still, Just leave me alone. That's how I'm happiest!

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:06 am

redrobin62 wrote:
<--- Doesn't want to be "cured" of Autism. Doesn't think HFA is a disorder anyway. If it is then so is being left-handed, gay or shorter than Napoleon.
Shorter than Napoleon?! Robin you are a tiny little thing. :D :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:09 am

I don't want to be cured. I just want for some people to be more considerate.

Wreck It Ralph

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:24 am

I am left handed - WOT'S WRONG WITH THAT 'EY?

Are they wanting to cure me of that too?!

I must be a very messed up individual - Shame I'm so happy being me! And I'm short.

God Damn IT - Looks like I got the trifecta! I'm still happy being me and wouldn't change for the world. I'm a lot nicer inside than most people I've met, NT's included. And THAT'S what counts.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:35 am

ImAnAspie wrote:

I must be a very messed up individual - Shame I'm so happy being me! And I'm short.

God Damn IT - Looks like I got the trifecta! I'm still happy being me and wouldn't change for the world. I'm a lot nicer inside than most people I've met, NT's included. And THAT'S what counts.
:lol:
You go boy!

Wreck It Ralph

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 1:21 am

It sucks that we as ASD's don't have a social place in this world. But hopefully, that will change someday, and someday soon.

Hey! I'm on welfare too. I know it sucks and is indignifying. But you got to make a living somehow. BTW: I wouldn't worry about a cure. I think that eugenics will come long before that.

I would recommend reading the book "Neurotribes". It's a real eye opener. But you're right. The science behind autism is still quite immature, even to this day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:47 am

ImAnAspie wrote:

New York Times
Quote:
The idea of “correcting” left-handedness, common in the postwar United States, now seems quaint if not barbaric

Quote:
That need for conformity was one reason that left-handers used to be forced, often quite brutally, to write with their right hands.

Up until the 1960's in public schools and much later in private schools it was common for the teacher to hit your left hand with a ruler if you used it.

The idea of curing left handedness is far from gone
Why are there (almost) no left-handers in China?
Quote:
Like the Chinese, many North and East African peoples attempt to 'cure' left-handedness by a combination of restraints and severe punishments. Religion has often reinforced these practices. In China, we can see how a combination of traditional values and practical considerations seems to have merged to reduce both the actual and reported prevalence of left-handedness.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman