Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:22 pm

What do you assume if a skill turns up in the job description that you don't know but the skill is not under qualifications? Training? I came upon a job that seemed wonderful except for that one skill that I've seen done lots but never done myself.

Also made an error, its on my resume, but I failed to talk about two things in the job description in my cover letter I did before just because I focused so much on one thing that I had really specific experience in.

Also this job requires you start very soon and even provides temp housing until you find another place but talk about upheavel! Very quickly changing doctors and all (2 year job)

I didn't mention disability this time.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2016, 4:05 pm

Angnix wrote:
What do you assume if a skill turns up in the job description that you don't know but the skill is not under qualifications? Training? I came upon a job that seemed wonderful except for that one skill that I've seen done lots but never done myself.

Don't worry about it. Job ads are always written like wish lists. The employer never expects anyone to be able to do every single task on the list - if your resume fits with about 70% of the job ad, I would say you're qualified.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:41 pm

And this one was a new one to me. A job within commuting distance I want... I looked at their Facebook page and they said the job was really more specific and detailed than the public posting. I am actually more qualified for it based upon FB. I sent an email saying I had a couple more skills that were listed specifically on FB. But the unknown factor is how many other people are qualified for this job in this area. Maybe there are people that live closer that are applying.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

macandpea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2016, 11:03 pm

If you don't meet a selection criteria you would address that by saying something like 'I do not have much experience with X but I am a very fast learner.'

As for location I wouldn't think that would be an issue unless you were applying for jobs in different cities. I've had interviews for jobs in the CBD of my city even though I live a fair way out in the suburbs, I guess the employers understand that that's where most of the jobs are

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 2:42 pm

Just read up on it. You can say you haven't done it yourself but you're familiar with it and are sure you'll pick it up quickly. It's assumed that there will be one or two things any new hire will have to learn.

Honestly, if I had hired a person who happened to have experience with every single thing I had listed on the posting, I would have assumed that person was lying. That did happen sometimes in other departments and it would become clear when the person started working. They would take too long on something or other. I would have been less likely to hire someone who appeared perfect.