Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2016, 5:00 pm

An update:

So he confirmed they're dating, but he didn't seem confident when he said it. He told me that when just the two of us were hanging out one recent afternoon. (I swore he was going to bring her with him, but he didn't.) He actually talked about his ex-fiancee more (whom he still seems snakebitten over) than he talked about this chick. Also, he listed me among his closest friends.

He also started an online fundraiser for her sick cat, and wants to surprise her with it on the 14th (you know that day). He said she had a rough holiday season because of the cat while working in a busy store. However, he's stood up for lots of people and taken friends under his wing (me included). He's spread the word for other friends' fundraisers, consoled people going through breakups, and bailed people out of jail.

In his descriptions of this fundraiser, though, he called her a "friend," and "someone very close" to him. (But he called her his "girl" last month.) And he talks about "her family" without including himself in it.

Is this a husband desperately trying to win his wife?
Is this a concerned friend and coworker helping her in a time of need?
Or is this a guy doing favors to get in her pants?

TL;DR Did she win the race to the altar because she had a sick cat?

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2016, 9:27 pm

Bump

Please answer my question: Should I donate to this fundraiser for her cat? I had an appointment with my counselor and asked him about it, and he said the description my friend wrote for it sounds like he's just being a good friend standing up for her in a time of need and not a husband. He said it was up to me to donate.

I know my donation wouldn't affect whether or not they marry or become more serious, but should I contribute to her cat's vet bills, even though she beat me in the race?

Please help convince me. Am I a sore loser if I don't?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
Bump

Please answer my question: Should I donate to this fundraiser for her cat? I had an appointment with my counselor and asked him about it, and he said the description my friend wrote for it sounds like he's just being a good friend standing up for her in a time of need and not a husband. He said it was up to me to donate.

I know my donation wouldn't affect whether or not they marry or become more serious, but should I contribute to her cat's vet bills, even though she beat me in the race?

I don't know why you'd be obligated/expected to donate to it sense you don't even really know her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2016, 10:08 pm

nick007 wrote:
Non_Passerine wrote:
Bump

I don't know why you'd be obligated/expected to donate to it sense you don't even really know her.

I met her a few times, and he's asking all his friends and coworkers to donate so he can surprise her. Again, my counselor thinks he's just being a good friend and not a husband-to-be. (and he did call her his "friend" in his Facebook post about it)

Her family must really be struggling to pay those increased bills.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2016, 4:51 pm

UPDATE: I decided to donate. My reason against donating was very selfish and I realized that their future together didn't hinge on whether or not I donated.

I did manage to see both of them today, and thinking about it, my intuition tells me that they wouldn't have a very lasting marriage. The best couples I've seen are like "peas in a pod" and fit each other extremely well (including my dad and his current wife... she fits him better than my mom, and my mom only married him to get out of my grandparents' strict house and they lasted 15 years together... my dad and this wife have been married almost 18 years now). My friend and his coworker are not "peas in a pod."

Of course, I'm still keeping my guard up in case I see an engagement notice on my Facebook feed.