Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:34 pm

If I start something I'm interested in, I have to finish it, no matter how long it takes. For example, early last year I read Misery and loved it, so I decided I'd read everything Stephen King has ever written. I'm on my thirtieth book now (It). Other things I've done include listening to the national anthems of every country and territory in the world, reading the description of every genetic disorder on Wikipedia, playing as every team in every league in sports video games (I'm one of the few Aspies who likes sports), and things like that.

Once I start one of these "projects" as my mom calls them, I have to finish it, or else I get very anxious and feel like I'm missing things. They can sometimes get extremely dull, though; for example, I'm looking at the statistics for the top twenty players in WAR for every baseball team, and that has become a chore. But I have to finish it. My parents don't understand it, so I'm hoping others do similar things.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2016, 12:24 am

Not really. I get frustrated 1ce things become difficult & want to bail.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:54 am

I don't do that but I do understand why you do. I think it's awesome.

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 1:07 am

I used to be when I was younger but now I hardly ever finish something once I've started it unless I really want to. I used to have so much anxiety about leaving a story I was writing only halfway-done that I would sometimes scrap it because I'd rather not start something at all then have leave incomplete for weeks or months. Now I'm pretty much like , "whatever".

I know many people take years to finish writing a book or making some artwork, but that's usually because they don't have a lot of time on their hands. I must be the only adult left on the planet who has so much free time I don't know what to do with it sometimes.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2016, 6:02 am

I'm not an extreme completionist, but I do have to finish things. I've been working on something, whether it be a puzzle, knitting, sewing project, etc, and I mess up or cannot figure it out and I have to fix it and work on it until it is finished. Usually someone tells me I should just quit, but I have to complete it. I'm also a perfectionist so this is easily a problem if I don't watch out. I've also been given certain chores around the house because my mother knew I'd be thorough.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 11:37 pm

I have the compulsion to be a completionist but I don't have the follow through to carry it out. I leave a lot of things undone and or incomplete and then it bothers me even if there's no real reason to continue.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 11:43 pm

Yes, its been kind of detrimental to my quality of life honestly. Entering into a design/architecture program should help me though. A lesson people learn is that things are never going to be perfect the first time if ever.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2016, 12:33 am

I tend to leave things unfinished, occasionally stopping for seemingly no reason at all. Even I don't understand why I stop sometimes.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 12:41 am

^ sounds familiar

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 12:47 am

--My favourite types of classical music are symphonies, symphonic poems and piano sonatas from the Romantic era. All told I have the complete orchestral works of 449 composers, from Abe to Zweers, in digital format.

--My favourite type of rock is metal from the 70's & 90's so I have the complete discographies of the big names from that era (Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, KISS, Megadeth, System Of A Down, Queen, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Saxon, etc)

--After the band I was in broke up I committed myself to writing, recording and releasing an album of solo material. It took a solid year to do it because I did have to write, engineer, produce, sing and play all the instruments on it. In one song I created a chorus of 18 voices in SATB harmony.

--Before that solo album, I set about to writing five novellas and one 86,000 word novel. It took me six months but I did complete it.

--During my Ayn Rand phase I read all her works such as The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged & Anthem.

--Years ago when I lived in Manhattan I had 22 wooden cassette cases neatly affixed to two walls in my apartment. Each case held 100 cassettes so I had 2200 cassettes, mostly of classical music, in alphabetical order.

--I also had collections in the past of marbles, coins, beer labels, baseball cards (the rock & roll kind), etc.

--These days I'm delving deeply into man's incredible history of extreme violence so I've been reading material on as many cultures I can get my hands on, from Khmer Rouge to East European war crimes to Christian martyrdom as told in Martyrs Mirror to medieval methods of torture to ancient Chinese methods of torture, punishment and execution and beyond.

--I have about 700 foreign language horror films in formats such as Xvid, avi, mkv, h.264, DVDRIP, and so on. I won't be keeping the movies though because as I finish them I delete them from my hard drives.