Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 11:29 am

I'm taking another stab at online dating. I worked my butt off on this profile and was wondering if there are any mistakes I made? I really want to make a great impression, really show people I'm a worthy person, y'know?

My OKCupid Profile Link

sunnchipie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2016, 12:05 pm

Is this the best place to ask??!
Looks good to me, obvious you've put a lot of work into it. Too much to read? Don't most just look at pics?
With all that you've got on, I wouldn't have thought internet dating was the way to go
Impressive times for your running
Anyway like I say, not the best person to give an opinion.

KingMiss
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm

Your profile looks great - lots of detail, interesting, idiosyncratic. My only suggestion would be too add a few more pictures.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 2:12 pm

Unfortunately that's all I've got, at least, that are good. I don't look good on camera, and as a result I don't have many acceptable photos of myself.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 2:14 pm

Okcupid is useless. Sent messages to 200+ girls in last two years without any effect but some likes.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:13 pm

The writing is good, but I think your photos are too dark.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:06 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
I'm taking another stab at online dating. I worked my butt off on this profile and was wondering if there are any mistakes I made? I really want to make a great impression, really show people I'm a worthy person, y'know?

Oh, wow, that breaks my heart. Of course you are a worthy person. It's sad that finding someone can be so stressful that so many people are scared to death of making 'mistakes.'

Anyway, I think your profile is great and has a lot of substance. Personally, I am on the fence about the line about making your day by writing to you, since, while I like it because it makes you seem warm and approachable, it could also be misconstrued as desperation. If it didn't jump out to anyone else, though, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Hope you meet someone who makes you happy and I think a lot of other people on this website are rooting for you also. Good luck!

ChemicalVial
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm

Damn! That's a really good profile! You sound very interesting and culltured. If I had not had a boyfriend already... ;)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:21 pm

You sound very interesting, but it's too long (especially your lists of favorite films, books etc) and you need to take a merciless editor's pen to it. For instance, you use the phrase "Love, love, love" twice. In such a short piece, that's unnecessary. Elsewhere, your capitalization is capricious and I did find one sentence fragment. Sentence fragments are fine if you are writing resume-style where everything's a fragment; but when paragraphing, don't overlook a fragment or two. It's about consistency.

I thought your reason why she couldn't have kids was a little lame. "too busy to be a caregiver" ... lots of single parents are 1/2 only, sharing custody with another parent, which leaves each single parent a fair amount of personal free time. If you simply dislike being around rugrats, say so; if you've no objection, you can say that too.

Should get you some success. If it doesn't, use a different site.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

I'm thinking of trying online dating again, but I'm not good at writing profiles.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 8:53 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I'm thinking of trying online dating again, but I'm not good at writing profiles.

Relax, all girls get tons of messages even if their profiles have only a photo. Though photo with location would give much more accurate results.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 10:24 am

Howdy. I'm NT, which is who you will likely be targeting. I noticed that the activities you like to do are solo activities. What fun things do you want to do with your new Hunny?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 10:41 am

I think you should emphasize your Wolfman proclivities :wink:

Seriously.....I hope you find a woman who likes opera like you like opera.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 10:55 am

Andreger wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Relax, all girls get tons of messages even if their profiles have only a photo. Though photo with location would give much more accurate results.

What do you consider tons? no more than 5 messages in a 2 week period...if so I suppose you're right.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 11:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Andreger wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

What do you consider tons? no more than 5 messages in a 2 week period...if so I suppose you're right.

Bear in mind that a few posts earlier, Andreger stated that OKCupid is useless; he messaged 200 girls in 2 years and no results.

Dating sites have a population of people who can't quite connect, who think men have it harder than women, and who think women get tons of messages. Sounds like this fits Andreger. Don't give up on OKCupid, for young people (under 40) it's a good site. My daughter has met lots of people there, and her current boyfriend who we like very much met her there. Older people may be happier with Plentyoffish and then of course there are the paid sites. Each site has a different "personality" and you may be happier with one than another.

Hope you find :heart:.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 11:44 am

I think it looks pretty good but I don't see a lot about what you're looking for in a relationship...or mention of activities you'd like to do with a potential date/girlfriend and it is a little too formal....so maybe where you can make it more personal and less objective because at a couple points it seems you're more trying to sell yourself for a job than come off as a potential date if that makes any sense. Also some parts are more wordy than they probably need to be but over all it doesn't look bad.