Why do someone people with autism talk loudly?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Karen145
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm

I talk loudly when I'm excited. I'm told I'm shouting, though I don't feel like I am.

You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits.
Parent of an autistic son.

EnglishAspienGirl92
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2016, 7:42 pm

All my life I've been told I'm too loud. I don't even know I'm being loud, it's just my regular volume and seems normal to me but to everyone else it sounds like shouting or being gobby. I also end up blurting out some really private stuff at top volume in public without realising it and embarassing whoevers with me! :oops:

It's apparently an aspie thing, you can be too loud, too quiet or speak in a monotone. Got no idea the science behind it though.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 8:00 pm

When I was a kid I was often praised for being good at reading out loud in school. But when I got older my mom and other people would often get embarrassed when we were out in public and my voice would get too loud, especially when I got excited. My mother thought it was because I had hearing problems before my diagnoses. I don't talk loudly that much now. Maybe because I was shamed and suffer embarrassment from it even after I learned I had Asperger's. My mother once said she actually enjoys our outings together - she quickly added that she did before, but enjoys it more now because people on the side of the building are no longer turning their heads towards the sound of my No Indoor Voice.
Many NT's seem to think autistic people only speak in a monotone or aren't verbal at all. Which is ironic, because then I want to scream as loud as I can that if you've seen (or heard) one autistic person, you've only seen (or heard) one autistic person.