Do you cut people off when you speak?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:08 am

Are you kidding? This is like story of my life. There are countless moments where I'm accidentally cutting into a conversation and someone will get mad at me (mostly my mom). The one thing that's really frustrating though is that, when I'm in the middle of a conversation with someone, my mom will just barge in to say what she wants to say and it ruins my concentration.

RenaeK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2016, 8:09 am

All the time. My sister was the first one to tell me I do it when I was about 19, since then lecturers, bosses, friends have all told me to stop doing it. So now I know I do it, but have no idea how to stop. If I pay careful attention to whether the other person has finished, I never get a chance and end up saying nothing, and it's such hard work, especially in a group.

Has anyone figured this out? Can someone teach me how to have a conversation without annoying people with interrupting?

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

I sometimes cut my baby sister off by accident when we have conversations between us and at least one other party. She calls me out every time I do it too. Doesn't help that when she pauses I think she's done speaking in the first place. Maybe i should start raising my hand to speak in those situations.

And when it's a conversation between my mother and my other sister, forget it. Their pauses are so short that by the time I realize that I have a turn to speak one of them's speaking again. By the time I have a chance to say what I wanted they've moved on to a different topic.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 12:52 pm

Violetvee wrote:
I sometimes cut my baby sister off by accident when we have conversations between us and at least one other party. She calls me out every time I do it too. Doesn't help that when she pauses I think she's done speaking in the first place. Maybe i should start raising my hand to speak in those situations.

And when it's a conversation between my mother and my other sister, forget it. Their pauses are so short that by the time I realize that I have a turn to speak one of them's speaking again. By the time I have a chance to say what I wanted they've moved on to a different topic.

I can definitely relate to that last part. Not just with family members but with friends also. I always have this urge to say something regarding whatever they're talking about at the moment, but they always end up moving off topic before I can even bring up what I wanted to say and it's just annoying.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 12:55 pm

I do my best to avoid that. It gets a little hard if I have been waiting to speak for a while.

No bigots, no bullies, no injustice.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 1:52 pm

Sometimes...I also mistake pauses for permission to speak....