Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 7:10 pm

I've been wondering why there's captcha to edit a post. Would people manually post something and then leave it to a bot to edit to something more spamful? Though I suppose it's easier to have it do that than put in an exception.

Also, where do all the pictures come from? Do Captcha employ people to go around taking pictures of house numbers from funny angles?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 12:23 am

Yeah, 3/4ths of the times that stupid thing occurs it just goes to a blank form with everything written just gone.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 3:02 pm

Captcha has just stolen another thirty minutes from my (now reduced by age) lifespan this morning. It is probably going to be the reason I leave WP, unless death transports me first. I am nearly totally over it.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 3:14 pm

I had a brief issue with it when updating my browser not long ago. I believe Soliloquist had a fix for people that have issues with it. I don't recall where I saw it, maybe you could send Soliloquist a pm? I always copy my posts before I submit them in case the server is being disagreeable. Hope things get resolved, best of luck.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 7:06 pm

I suspect the multiple captchas we have to endure is part of a development program by the captcha people to see how people answer so they can incorporate the results in their algorithm. The worst part is where first you go through all the captchas they throw at you and then you get the message "A new post has been added", which means you have to click again to post and go through a new batch of captchas all over again. Truly obnoxious.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2018, 7:14 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:
I suspect the multiple captchas we have to endure is part of a development program by the captcha people to see how people answer so they can incorporate the results in their algorithm. The worst part is where first you go through all the captchas they throw at you and then you get the message "A new post has been added", which means you have to click again to post and go through a new batch of captchas all over again. Truly obnoxious.
What annoys me is that I like to preview my posts before I post them. I have to go through the captchas to preview my posts, then I usually edit my post & have to do the captchas all over again. Then when I decide I don't need to edit anymore & am ready to post, I have to do the captchas again even thou I just did them when I previewed my post.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 7:50 pm

I typically don't have an issue with it unless I use Tor. Like I was saying, Soliloquist figured out a fix.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2018, 8:11 pm

Soliloquist wrote:
EzraS wrote:
nick007 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I've been getting them at too great a rate.

When I write something well, it sometimes get shuts down by the Server Error. That screws up my train of thought, which is fragile, and gets derailed too easily.

Now I'm getting grueling multiple captchas followed by server errors. I have to copy every post to make sure it doesn't get lost.
I started doing that after I lost a big post I had typed up. I got a 502 or 524 or some other error where I previewed it. The site stayed not working for over an hour & then when it started working again, I hit back on FireFox but I couldn't reload the page. It really p!ssed me off because I spent over an hour working on it. I just ended up not posting a reply to that thread.

That's why a lot of people don't post here anymore.

Having to do captcha just to preview your post is beyond ridiculous.

Cloudflare support suggest using a browser extension called privacy pass to reduce the number of CAPTCHA pages for users that frequently encounter them.
support.cloudflare.com wrote:
Privacy Pass is a Chrome/Firefox browser extension to make browsing Cloudflare-protected websites a better experience for users. In particular, if a user IP address is designated to have a poor reputation then the user may have to solve a Cloudflare CAPTCHA page before they can gain access to such websites. Privacy Pass uses elliptic curve cryptography to generate 'anonymous' tokens after a single CAPTCHA page is solved. These tokens can be used in future engagements with Cloudflare websites to prevent having to solve more CAPTCHAs. The extension generates 30 tokens for each CAPTCHA solution and thus can be used to reduce CAPTCHA pages for each user by a similar factor.

Privacy Pass can be used by any user using Chrome or Firefox; installing the extension will not change the browsing experience for most users. Users who frequently encounter CAPTCHA pages will find it beneficial to install the extension so that the number of these encountered decreases for them. This will be particularly helpful for users of shared networks, VPNs and Tor, which tend to have poorer IP reputations given their shared nature.

Privacy pass for Chrome

Privacy pass for Firefox

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=363119&start=150