Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm

People use the word cute for many things.
For example, when a girl's boyfriend brings her flowers as a surprise.
But then it's not meant as a description of physical features, it's meant to say "you are so thoughtful".
When it's used to describe a man's physical appearance, it can very well be an insult if the man is not extremely hot and it's completely obvious.

For physically unattractive males "cute" can be a trigger word.
Why?
Because "You're cute" said to a man by a woman generally means
1) "You're physically unattractive"
and/or
2) "You're friendship material"

It's similar to calling an overweight girl "fat".
Even if she's just a friend, you generally want to avoid calling her "fat" because it might trigger her to feel ugly.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:11 pm

One does not simply
call a grown man "cute"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm

I'm called cute----and I'm a pretty "grown" man.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

If you enjoy it there is nothing wrong with it, kraftie.
It's just not an overwhelmingly great compliment then.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:18 pm

In my case, when I call an adult guy "cute", it means he's adorable, would be nice to cuddle with, has sweet, friendly and charming personality. When he has hot body, and I think he's attractive I wouldn't call him "hot", I'd rather call him "cute". It's just me. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:21 pm

No problema, my man :D

True...it's not the same as being called "handsome" or whatever.

But I think Drawyer is really on to something here. "Cute," indeed, has become more complimentary over the past ten years or so.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But I think Drawyer is really on to something here. "Cute," indeed, has become more complimentary over the past ten years or so.

Possibly. Happen to have a source to back it up?
Even if it's become more complimentary, there is still a highly ambiguous nature to it.
Drawyer wrote:
In my case, when I call an adult guy "cute", it means he's adorable, would be nice to cuddle with, has sweet, friendly and charming personality. When he has hot body, and I think he's attractive I wouldn't call him "hot", I'd rather call him "cute". It's just me. :D

We know. You also love everyone.
Most people are using more differentiated language though.
Your example is rather unique too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 10:43 pm

My evidence is purely anecdotal.

I guess I can look up a linguistics journal or something.

But I do know that the term "cute" has more of a broadened definition than it did 10-20 years ago. I know it from my life experience.

Nowadays, a man could be "cute" because he might be brusque on the outside, but a teddy bear on the inside.

Or he can be "cute" underneath a supposedly ugly exterior. He could have a "cute" personality.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 11:00 pm

That may be true for a description of character.
I've had an example of that before: The guy who brings his girlfriend flowers. And that can work out just fine, especially if the guy is over 6 feet tall, muscle-packed and with a strong jaw.

However when used to describe physical features, it leans more toward "looking immature"/"unmanly".
After all, the same word is used to describe puppies, small things, kids, babies, shy-but-good-looking women(!)...

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 11:04 pm

Earthling wrote:
We know. You also love everyone.
Most people are using more differentiated language though.
Your example is rather unique too.
lol thanks for reminding me of those... I've only tried to keep consistency in ambiguity..I have OCD....I guess..

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 11:55 pm

I been talking to this guy from okcupid I met yesterday, is it too soon for him to miss me? He already wants me for his girlfriend.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 12:43 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I been talking to this guy from okcupid I met yesterday, is it too soon for him to miss me? He already wants me for his girlfriend.

Be careful.. He may be a great one, but there's always time to find out.

Last edited by 100000fireflies on 08 Jan 2016, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 12:49 am

Earthling wrote:
People use the word cute for many things.
For example, when a girl's boyfriend brings her flowers as a surprise.
But then it's not meant as a description of physical features, it's meant to say "you are so thoughtful".
When it's used to describe a man's physical appearance, it can very well be an insult if the man is not extremely hot and it's completely obvious.

For physically unattractive males "cute" can be a trigger word.
Why?
Because "You're cute" said to a man by a woman generally means
1) "You're physically unattractive"
and/or
2) "You're friendship material"

It's similar to calling an overweight girl "fat".
Even if she's just a friend, you generally want to avoid calling her "fat" because it might trigger her to feel ugly.

I never knew. To me cute is a term with many meanings..and i can see what you mean.. But for me, one of those meanings is someone i'm attracted to - in the dating realm.
I too almost never say hot..and instead use cute..as in attractive.

'ZomgeeeeeAdorable' on the other hand, i typically reserve for puppies. :)

I apologize in advance if i ever see your pic and say you're cute. See above.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 3:02 am

People have only ever used cute to define my actions or by friends who have no romantic interest.

As was pointed out cute is mostly used to describe babies animals, pets, babies, or small things. Most men don't want to be seen as a pet they want to be a romantic partner.

Think of it this way how old you feel if the guy your interested always talked to you in baby talk. Would it make you seem inferior?

Though suppose cute is better then calling a guy pretty.

I don't want to be cute I want to be attractive, I want to be some girls wanted guy.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 3:39 am

sly279 wrote:
People have only ever used cute to define my actions or by friends who have no romantic interest.

As was pointed out cute is mostly used to describe babies animals, pets, babies, or small things. Most men don't want to be seen as a pet they want to be a romantic partner.

Think of it this way how old you feel if the guy your interested always talked to you in baby talk. Would it make you seem inferior?

Though suppose cute is better then calling a guy pretty.

I don't want to be cute I want to be attractive, I want to be some girls wanted guy.

Maybe it's one of those can't read tone in text, but the cute i call guys is synonymous with attractive and verbally is definitely an octave or two lower than what i use for my pups.

I've never had a guy act adversely when i said he was cute either. Maybe part of it is context..e.g. If you're kissing someone and say 'you're really cute', it's clearly not 'i'd like to just be friends.but..you're "cute" (insert desperate tone while trying to buffer the message).

But i do see what you're saying as in itself, it's ambiguous and can be holding other meanings.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:26 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

That's a giant red flag there. I wish someone warned me that dating sites are full of these types who are clingy yet have strong abandonment fears. Would have saved a lot of heartache.