Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

Campaign Document Release

ASAN statement

Autism Speaks Statement

I hope to be adding further reaction in the coming days.

As for my own initial reaction the best part of it is the survey of Adult Autistics. The worst part is the endorsement of the MSSNG genetic research project and its seeming endorsement of the direction current research is going. While this plan includes a lot more about adults then has been going on, adults especially older adults still seem to be a secondary concern.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 6:23 pm

I am encouraged by all this, but I am curious about the details. I too would like to see a shift of funds to support and education services and research into treatment to help autistic people cope better, deal with sensory issues, communicate, and transition into adulthood. I would very, very much like to see more support for adults, including more therapies and help transitioning to independence if possible. I had a very frustrating experience last year getting diagnosed. It took several months to find a psychologist qualified to do it who was covered by my insurance, after being initially told that my insurance didn't cover it (incorrectly). Then I waited for weeks to see her, and more weeks to get the results. Then I found that my insurance did not cover any sort of of therapy to help me--I was hoping to get a therapist with experience in dealing with autistics, maybe an occupational therapist to help with my sensory issues, and a social skills class. There were only two in-plan therapists, and both only treated people under 21.

This is discrimination, and it's outrageous.

I switched to another health insurance plan, one which will be considerably more expensive, just to try and get the help I need. I can get into the social skills class now, but I am now told that there is a one-year waiting list to get individual therapy with someone experienced with autistics. Nobody treats adults.

I watched a documentary in which a woman had a 22-year old non-verbal autistic son. Her husband got a job in Florida, but she and her son had to stay in New York because Florida had no adult services for autistics. It was heart-breaking and infuriating.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:40 pm

John Elder Robison Facebook
Wouldn't it be great if the other candidates followed Mrs. Clinton's lead and put forth their own constructive autism policy? There is a lot to like in what she has to say. Whether she would follow through would have to be seen but her words are a start. What I hope is that other candidates match her pledges and perhaps go beyond, so whoever we get in the White House is at least this committed to making a change for our people. The more candidates stand up for this the more likely it is to happen.

I say Bravo to her for thinking of us.

Me
She will be having a town hall meeting on this topic in Souix City, Iowa next Tuesday afternoon
Fox Business news is reporting that Scott Badesch CEO and President of The Autism Society of America confirming the Clinton campaign consulted with them.
The National Journal is reporting conformation by Ari Neeman that the Clinton campaign got the idea for the Adult prevelance survey and other proposals for autistic adults came after consultations with ASAN

In rereading it I also like the proposed ban on mechanical and chemical restraints. With the Judge Rotenberg Center in mind I would hope electric shocks are specifically added To banned practices. I hope the statement to force school districts that violate the law kicking out and segragating the bullied autistic student is followed up on.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 06 Jan 2016, 12:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:59 pm

By thinking about us you mean all the American candidates want to force people to act less autistic, punish them severely if they do, perform Nazi-like experiments on us, or force us to take "cures" that could kill us. That is all these Autism Nazi organizations want. It's all the American government wants. For us to be "NORMAL". I hate them all and wish they would just DIE.

They want to control, torture and kill anyone who acts the slightest bit unusual. "That person's eating ice cream with a fork, they must be a mass murderer!" Screw them. :x

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 12:46 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
By thinking about us you mean all the American candidates want to force people to act less autistic, punish them severely if they do, perform Nazi-like experiments on us, or force us to take "cures" that could kill us. That is all these Autism Nazi organizations want. It's all the American government wants. For us to be "NORMAL". I hate them all and wish they would just DIE.

They want to control, torture and kill anyone who acts the slightest bit unusual. "That person's eating ice cream with a fork, they must be a mass murderer!" Screw them. :x

The feeling is mutual. I feel the same way.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 3:33 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
By thinking about us you mean all the American candidates want to force people to act less autistic, punish them severely if they do, perform Nazi-like experiments on us, or force us to take "cures" that could kill us. That is all these Autism Nazi organizations want.

that's a bit of a generalization.

just a bit, though.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:02 am

More reactions to Hillary Clinton's Autism Statement

Jonathan Mitchell reaction