RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:20 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_ ... h_shooting

Quote:
By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer
25 minutes ago

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a Virginia Tech dorm and then, two hours later, in a classroom across campus Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing the death toll to 31.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

It was not immediately clear whether the gunman was shot by police or took his own life. His name was not released, investigators offered no motive for the attack. It was not known if the gunman was a student.

The shootings spread panic and confusion on campus, with witnesses reporting students jumping out the windows of a classroom building to escape the gunfire. SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles swarmed over the campus. Students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

The massacre took place at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a coed dormitory that houses 895 people, and continuing at least two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away, authorities said.

Police said they were still investigating the shooting at the dorm when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

After the first shots were fired, students were warned to stay indoors and away from the windows. But some students said they thought the precautions had been lifted by the time the second burst of gunfire was heard, and some bitterly questioned why the gunman was able to strike a second time, two hours after the bloodshed began.

"What happened today this was ridiculous. And I don't know what happened or what was going through this guy's mind," student Jason Piatt told CNN. "But I'm pretty outraged and I'll say on the record I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7 o'clock in the morning and the first e-mail about it — no mention of locking down campus, no mention of canceling classes — they just mention that they're investigating a shooting two hours later at 9:22."

He added: "That's pretty ridiculous and meanwhile, while they're sending out that e-mail, 22 more people got killed."

FBI spokesman Richard Kolko in Washington said there was no evidence to suggest it was a terrorist attack, "but all avenues will be explored."

Up until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby's Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

How awful! I hope everyone currently there stays safe... The lack of action is appalling.

Three years!

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:23 pm

That's appalling... if they had locked down the campus and taken action after the 1st shootings, 20 something lives may have been saved.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:26 pm

Saw it on Drudge and flipped on the news. Just terrible.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:30 pm

This is quite a bit different from the version I heard an hour ago on the radio. I heard 21 people were killed and that there was a lock down. the shootings apparently happened on two different sides of the campus. I would imagine it would be hard to find an armed person when all the rooms are locked and the lights are out in a big campus.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:45 pm

And yet people in the US continue to assert that their "right to bear arms" is more important than others' rights to live. "Guns don't kill people" - yeah, right.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 2:52 pm

I'm copying this from another post I've made.

I go to Virginia Tech. From what I have heard (granted, this is at most hearsay now) the shootings occurred because of a fling gone bad or something along those lines.

The biggest issue is that the first call to 911 was made around 7:15. The campus was not closed. The shootings in West A.J. weren't preventable. The shootings in Norris were. The kid managed to get across the campus, through a large open area (the Drill Field) and into another building without being stopped. All I can figure is that he had a reasonably small automatic weapon. It would be concealable because of how windy it has been today: everyone that actually left their dorms / apartments were wearing jackets.

If you are on Facebook, a group was made to let people know that they are ok if they go here:
I'm ok at VT

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 3:01 pm

Two of my brothers went to VT and I've visited the campus a lot. Very nice place.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 3:19 pm

Wow, why a student dormitory and classroom? My condolences for those who were killed and lost their friends and relatives. The campus was probably taken by surprise, and couldn't respond in time. Horrible...

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 3:22 pm

alyssa wrote:
And yet people in the US continue to assert that their "right to bear arms" is more important than others' rights to live. "Guns don't kill people" - yeah, right.

Many gun-rights people believe that wider gun use reduces crime. An example would be Universities guards are often unarmed, and since universities don't generally permit gun rights on campus no one (in theory) shot and killed, or wounded a murderer such as this.

Obviously there is debate on this issue. I expect attacks of the "gun industry" to appear rapidly.

I would hate for this topic to primarily be political. Maybe I should start a topic in the political forum asking, "Do gun owners ask for their rights only at the cost of the lives of others?"...Hmm...I don't want to be too presumptive.

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Apr 2007, 3:31 pm

shadexiii wrote:
The biggest issue is that the first call to 911 was made around 7:15. The campus was not closed. The shootings in West A.J. weren't preventable. The shootings in Norris were. The kid managed to get across the campus, through a large open area (the Drill Field) and into another building without being stopped. All I can figure is that he had a reasonably small automatic weapon. It would be concealable because of how windy it has been today: everyone that actually left their dorms / apartments were wearing jackets.

Quote:
Federal officials told ABC News they did not know what kinds of weapons had been used, but one senior official at the FBI in Washington said it was believed the shooter had at least two handguns.

What's up with the wind today? I felt like I was in an industrial air shaft.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 3:45 pm

I'm watching Sunrise in Australia and they say 32 dead, 28 wounded.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 3:47 pm

Kezzstar wrote:
I'm watching Sunrise in Australia and they say 32 dead, 28 wounded.

The reports so far have alternated between 30 and 31 dead, not including the shooter.

As for wounded, that would make sense. From what I've heard from people he hit two classrooms in the building. I think those classrooms are roughly 25 person lecture halls. A couple people in the hallway and the couple people in the dorm included, that would add up.

Twilight823
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2007, 3:58 pm

This story has been on television all day. Its horrible, I was shocked when I first heard about it. Who would kill a person? None the less 32 people.

alex wrote:
What's up with the wind today? I felt like I was in an industrial air shaft.

I honestly don't know. We had a five year old in Frendale, Michigan killed after the winds knocked a flag pole on him today.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 4:02 pm

This is a horrible tragedy, and just another example of how gun control is an oxymoron at the best of times.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 4:05 pm

What is the point of making university campuses "weapon free zones?" To make them safer? Well thats working just super, now isn't it?

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly."

"Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus.""

The irony is so very deep right now.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 4:11 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
What is the point of making university campuses "weapon free zones?" To make them safer? Well thats working just super, now isn't it?

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658
Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly."

"Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus.""

The irony is so very deep right now.

Part of the concern is drunk college students. Even if you are responsible with the weapon when sober, that could change after one or fifteen beers. (Yes, we drink that heavy around here. That's not an exaggeration.) Unless all precautions are taken, it also makes available weapons to people who do not legally own them. Someone gets angry, someone steals someone else's gun, bad things, etc.

On the other hand, if they were allowed then this might have ended differently. Someone with one might have taken action. Self-defense or otherwise. The potential risks are high though.