Do you do things which you find annoying in others?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Schlumpfikus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2016, 2:23 am

And if so, are you aware of it? An example: As I understand a typical trait of autism is to be very very honest, sometimes to the point of being rude. Now if you would say you are one of those people who always completely honestly speak their minds, even if others might get offended, does it bother you if someone else is doing the same to you?
It's by the way the same with reading on this forum the two topics "Are you bothered by people touching your stuff?" with most voting "Yes, absolutely", but then also reading in the parents' section "My son with Asperger's constantly touches other people's stuff".

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:35 am

I can get frustrated at people who are reserved, like I can never get in at them, when I know in real life I'm pretty much 90% withholding myself. This computer screen business lulls you into a false sense of security - I'm never so open in the real world.

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2016, 4:56 am

Top five list I'm guilty of...
1. Noisy eating
2. Belching while beer drinking
3. Slow driving (only on curvy mountain roads in my case, otherwise I'm a leadfoot on dry city streets.)
4. Butting in on conversations
5. Being "high maintenance" when ordering food at eateries. (Hold this, substitute that.)

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:43 am

1.Needlessly apologising. But this may be a trait of being extremely insecure, and Brits tend to say sorry too much anyway.
2.Incessantly self-deprecating. This can be interpreted as some form of poorly masked self-pity.
3.Listening to the same tracks over and over again.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:28 am

I try really, really hard not to do this. I have a long list of things that annoy me about other people. And I hate being a hypocrite when I can avoid it. Whenever I see or someone points out to me I am, I work as hard as I can to eradicate said behavior. If I cannot I learn to accept it in others as they have to accept it in me.

9+ years of marriage will force you into this thinking.

I will say that this is not exclusive to aspies. I believe, quite often, we (humans) hate things in others that we hate about ourselves. I've seen it all the time, people complaining about the very things they do themselves. I just think aspies possess a self-critiquing ability that many NTs do not. They are more honest with themselves so they can see it. For some reason, theres alot of reluctance from NTs to accept their own hypocrisy. Instead of "oh, thanks for pointing that out. I never realized it. Ill work on that". It's blame shifting, name calling and arguments. I don't get that. Don't you want to be a better person?

Jamieohs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2016, 7:41 am

The thing I'm probably most guilty of is saying my honest opinion about everything, whatever i say is always the truth, i say exactly what im thinking. I'm not one of those people that will lie about something just to make somebody feel better.

If somebody else doesn't like me or has a problem with me then so long as they say it to my face I honestly won't give a f*ck, its only when people start talking about me behind my back and spreading rumours about me that I have problems with. Be honest with me and I won't be bothered.