Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 7:10 pm

in terms of using my various audio programs, the sweet spot seems to have been windows XP which could run all my programs that previous had been on W98SE, but better, no crashes, just smoothly running out of memory after a few hours of constant use of multiple audio programs. but those same programs under windows 7 and 10 crash about as much as they ever did under W98SE, but at least the whole OS doesn't crash.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:59 am

I wish Windows 2000 had an x64 version that could run modern programs. I would use that as my main OS if it existed. Win2k was GOAT, basically like XP without the bloat.

I'm aware of XP 64-bit, as I used it for a while, but it was never well supported. It wasn't very compatible with modern 64-bit applications, and it had issues with older 32-bit applications as well. Not to mention, hardware support was quite lacking.

Maybe someone in Russia, China, or some other country that completely disregards copyright laws should take the leaked Win2000 source and build an OS out of it.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2016, 2:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
in terms of using my various audio programs, the sweet spot seems to have been windows XP which could run all my programs that previous had been on W98SE, but better, no crashes, just smoothly running out of memory after a few hours of constant use of multiple audio programs. but those same programs under windows 7 and 10 crash about as much as they ever did under W98SE, but at least the whole OS doesn't crash.

Have you tried running these programs in compatibility mode?

Quote:
You can go into a app's properties to change its compatibility mode settings. With compatibility mode, you can force an app to use settings from an earlier version of Windows -- helpful if you know the app ran well in, say, Windows 7 or Vista. You can also change the display and color settings for the app.

1. Right-click on an app and select Properties. You can do this from the app's shortcut or by navigating in File Browser to the EXE file.

2. Select the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

3. Select the version of Windows to use for your app's settings in the dropdown box.

4. Hit Apply, then run your app and see if this fixed your issues.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:56 am

Soliloquist wrote:

thank you :) I will try that. but what happens is just the bugaboo of running out of memory in general- half the time the program will refuse to save my work, the other half it just crashes. until it reaches that point it works as normally as anything can work in windows, giving no clue that the memory is just about gone until it is gone. I have in the meantime downloaded an app that tells me how much memory is being used, it is like a gauge, when it gets above 60% I know then to reboot. sometimes the computer itself will give me an aural warning, I will hear beeps or the sound will suddenly get tinny.

Stormkeeper2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 May 2016, 8:56 am

I primarily use Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista (depends on device), and Android but I'd prefer to run Linux Mint on everything, though only one device I own has it right now. I also have a Pi Zero with Raspbian, but I have yet to properly use it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 10:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
Soliloquist wrote:

thank you :) I will try that. but what happens is just the bugaboo of running out of memory in general- half the time the program will refuse to save my work, the other half it just crashes. until it reaches that point it works as normally as anything can work in windows, giving no clue that the memory is just about gone until it is gone. I have in the meantime downloaded an app that tells me how much memory is being used, it is like a gauge, when it gets above 60% I know then to reboot. sometimes the computer itself will give me an aural warning, I will hear beeps or the sound will suddenly get tinny.

Are you using 32-bit programs, or 64-bit? 32-bit programs can only use about 2GB of RAM IIRC, even on 64-bit operating systems. Also, what are your system specs?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 3:35 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Soliloquist wrote:

Are you using 32-bit programs, or 64-bit? 32-bit programs can only use about 2GB of RAM IIRC, even on 64-bit operating systems. Also, what are your system specs?

64 bit windows. 2.3GHz core I3 6G RAM. am guessing soundforge 10 is 64 bit, izotopeRX5 am guessing is 64 bit, the rest are 32 bit. pretty sure pristine sounds 2005 is 32 bit. but they all behave the same memory-wise in terms of how long they'll run before running out of memory.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 1:18 am

Hmm, seems kinda fishy. But you're only running 6GB of ram for audio production? O_o I consider 8GB pretty much the minimum for desktop use nowadays.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 1:22 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Hmm, seems kinda fishy. But you're only running 6GB of ram for audio production? O_o I consider 8GB pretty much the minimum for desktop use nowadays.

it's an off-the-rack HP pavilion laptop. not really upgradeable. and I do only two channel, no video work. so the 6 gigs is probably adequate. I do audio restoration work.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 2:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

it's an off-the-rack HP pavilion laptop. not really upgradeable. and I do only two channel, no video work. so the 6 gigs is probably adequate. I do audio restoration work.

So you can't like open a hatch on the bottom and install more ram?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 2:42 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I am as technical as my cat. puter repairperson said it was maxed out on ram. don't have a lot of money to get anything fancier which would likely cost north of $500.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 3:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I am as technical as my cat. puter repairperson said it was maxed out on ram. don't have a lot of money to get anything fancier which would likely cost north of $500.

Just pray.

And the Lord will provide the RAM!