Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

I didn't know how to word this in a search engine... I'm on SSI and a job I'm looking at doesn't have the same hours every week. Most weeks, Its under what is considered gainful activity and I would keep my SSI check in part. But max hours would be about 20 dollars above the mark. What would happen to future checks?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 11:17 am

I live in Michigan too, and am on SSDI.

This is the deal.

You have to report your earned income. The first 8 months of your job you can make as much as humanly possible. If it is a million...WOOT! This is a one shot deal. I never had a job that I last 8 consecutive months.

After that, you can make around $1,000/month before you have to start paying it back, and have less than $2,000 in the bank. There is a ratio for what you make and what you pay back.

Now if you are working full time, and a "real income job...like a RN, accountant etc"...it will trigger SSA to looking into to move you off of SSDI (are you getting work benefits or just disabled and never worked). Remer they can pull for an audit any time.

I would go to the SSA office and talk to a case worker. The rules are changing all the time, and Michigan did have some programs which made it easier to work and collect without triggering a review.

But the about above is the basic overview. If you are working a gainful employment job (decent cash), you will really want to take to a case worker. You do NOT want SSA breathing down your neck thinking you are scamming the system.

I make around $5K/year, so I'm well under the income limit.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2016, 9:56 pm

SSI is different than SSDI. You stay in the SSI system as long as you still have your disabilities regardless of how much money you make. My work hours fluctuated alot when I was on SSI. I kept sending them a copy of every pay stub I got. They'd quit giving me a check when my income was higher & sometimes I had to pay them back cuz my income was higher than they anticipated when they gave me a check. They'd give me my check again after my income went down & they'd give me backpay for months where my income was lower than they anticipated when they gave me my check or when they gave me no check. They were sometimes a couple months behind thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 1:15 pm

nick007 wrote:
SSI is different than SSDI. You stay in the SSI system as long as you still have your disabilities regardless of how much money you make. My work hours fluctuated alot when I was on SSI. I kept sending them a copy of every pay stub I got. They'd quit giving me a check when my income was higher & sometimes I had to pay them back cuz my income was higher than they anticipated when they gave me a check. They'd give me my check again after my income went down & they'd give me backpay for months where my income was lower than they anticipated when they gave me my check or when they gave me no check. They were sometimes a couple months behind thou.

Pretty much what I thought, but just making sure.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 2:56 pm

Angnix wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Pretty much what I thought, but just making sure.
It's good to verify things like that. SSI being afew months behind can can be a pain. I was eligible for a bigger SSI check some months & then the next few months I wasn't eligible for any SSI check but they kept giving me my SSI. I owed them a bunch of money when they'd suddenly catch up for those few months. Or I could make enough not to get SSI so they'd quit giving me my SSI check for afew months & my job would cut my hours right around that time. Your only allowed to keep two thousand if your account so keeping money on hand for when you need to pay back SSI or for when your hours get cut might be alittle difficult. I got paid every two weeks so they might be alittle more behind if you get paid less often than that. I found a credit-card helped cuz I'd have close to a month after the statement ended to pay the balance. I'd pay the balance before the statement ended some months when I'd get a lot of money & I'd have a month or more to pay it when I didn't have a lot of money. A credit-card made it easier to pay SSI cuz I would call instead of mailing em a check & it would update quicker in their system. A credit-card also helped me build a good credit history & credit score.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 5:43 pm

This is biweekly, but then some months you get three paychecks! How do they figure that up?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 6:23 pm

Angnix wrote:
This is biweekly, but then some months you get three paychecks! How do they figure that up?
I think they use the pay dates & count all 3 as income for that month but I'm not entirely sure.