Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 3:58 pm

I wasn't sure which category to post this in, so move this thread if you think it's in the wrong one.

Ok so at the care home where I work, we have all been told off for eating left over food what doesn't and won't get eaten by the residents, and we're threatened with permanent dismissal if any of us are caught eating left over food again.

This left over food goes in the bin if there is too much to be served, so before, we have been helping ourselves to left over food at the end of the shift, what will definitely go in the bin if nobody eats it up.
Maybe I've missed something here, but I think this is unfair. If the unwanted food is going to be thrown away, then what difference does it make if us workers, who work hard, eat up the left overs? The left overs can't be stored because a, there is no room, and b, it might go stale, so it isn't theft then if we eat it up instead of it all being thrown away.

Just wanted to see what you guys think of it.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:00 pm

Sounds like corporate BS to me.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:09 pm

It sounds similar to something I have come across, which is basically business looking after themselves, if you became sick eating the food, they would become responsible. So by having a blanket rule they are protecting themselves.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

I wouldn't consider it theft, though it may be legally (which suggests problems with the legal system). If it is theft, then at least some theft is fine.

What it definitely is is BS.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:18 pm

As Eve said above, it's probably down to Health and Safety rules.
If the food is not stored according to regulations between the time it is prepared to the time it is consumed then the company can be held responsible for anyone becoming sick from food poisoning.

It could be down to vindictive management too.

And I agree it's BS.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 4:43 pm

If the food is theirs, they have every right to stop you from eating it, even if they just want it for the pleasure of personally making sure those particular pieces of food rot while lots of people in the world starve.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

I think legally it is theft. At least here it is. A lot of the reason for throwing food away is health and safety regulations. Some of it is also probably greed. They don't want anyone benefiting from their products, even if it gets thrown away.

I don't view it as morally wrong to eat food that will be discarded, but you can still get into trouble for it.

I worked somewhere that we had to throw away leftover product that was expired but still edible. We were not allowed to consume any of it. It was, I believe, reported to the manufacturers as product that was unsold and damaged or unable to be sold. And I think they got money returned from the manufacturers. If they let us eat it, it would be stealing and the company would face consequences if discovered.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:12 pm

It is not theft, ethically, but it is, lawfully.

Like the legal grey-area of dumpster diving, this is another example of western society failing on being by the people, for the people.
We're affluent, but our systems are based on scarcity. If there is no scarcity, it must be created.

Out of curiosity: have you made inquiries into your employer's reasoning?
Might anger your employer though, esp. If it's about corporate BS.
Personally, I wouldn't be able to resist, but I have been fired from every proper job I ever had, and finally only became functioning as self-employed, so my advice is... Best Taken with caution.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:18 pm

Bear in mind the only way to have some assurance that you are in charge and others obey you is to be unreasonable. If you are reasonable, you're following reason, rather than your genuinely personal whim. Anyone can be reasonable, but you need power to get away with being unreasonable, so the latter option shows your power.

It also follows that challenging unreasonable orders or rules is encroaching on the territory of the one imposing them, and therefore a primal defence seeking to crush you if you don't back off should be expected.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:23 pm

I don't find that it is theft to take food not eaten.

The best thing that could be done with the food is to feed it to the homeless, instead of wasting it.

I happen to think it's pretty much "rubbish" (pun intended) for the bosses to act that way towards you folks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 5:31 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
If the food is theirs, they have every right to stop you from eating it, even if they just want it for the pleasure of personally making sure those particular pieces of food rot while lots of people in the world starve.
It's theft. No BS.

The food belongs to the care facility until it is put in the dumpster, and then it belongs to the company that owns the dumpster. This will not change until the care facility informs its employees in plain-English writing that they may eat any leftover food. Never trust verbal or second-hand permission.

Every year, we attend an "Ethics In The Workplace" trading seminar. Every year, we learn that even if a company-owned device is obsolete, isn't working, and can't be repaired, no employee may legally claim it as theirs without the company's permission. To do otherwise is legally theft.

I have checked with my personal lawyers, and they're confirmed it's true - the company legally owns it's trash and garbage until it all goes to the recycler or the dumpster.

Don't anyone argue with me on this. Argue with the people who make the laws.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 6:00 pm

Game stop cuts cords, scratches disks etc of stuff they can't sell, if they can't make money from it then no one can enjoy it. Public schools throw good food away rather then feed the homeless. Universities cut scissors in half rather then give them away. It's all just selfish wastefulness . But it's their stuff so yes the law would take their side.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jan 2016, 6:05 pm

I don't consider it theft, that's silly to me. Maybe the job considers it too distracting or maybe there are some liability concerns I dunno but threatening to fire you doesn't seem like an appropriate response. Seems like they want you on your toes and to know your replaceable.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 6:53 pm

Spiderpig & Fnord are correct (& I find the bit about being unreasonable equaling power...interesting).

Who bought the food? That's the owner of said property. The residents are in turn buying some of that food from the facility as part of the total care fees.

I don't think anyone has ever shown capitalism to be ethical when it comes to charity vs profit. However, there are ways to leverage that into better behavior such as deductions for charitable contributions that are greater than those for losses, etc.. Still, this is just one more reason I'm not a big fan of modern unbridled capitalism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

Unless the bosses see fit to make the food available to the Homeless, the food is WASTED.

I hate how we waste things in our Western mode. I waste too many things.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't consider it theft...
It's that kind of thinking that gets people fired and earns them a criminal record.