Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mariamtee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm

Hi!

Does anyone here have autism and never received the MMR vaccine?

Thanks!

Mariam

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 7:31 pm

I believe very few people in the Western World, born about 1963 and beyond, have NOT received the MMR vaccine.

I didn't receive it because I got measles when I was 2, in 1963, the year the measles vaccine was developed.

Mariamtee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jan 2016, 7:53 pm

Hi Kraftiekorti, do you have an autism diagnosis?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:00 pm

Mariamtee wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone here have autism and never received the MMR vaccine?

Thanks!

Mariam

As a child, my mother refused to allow me to receive the polio vaccination, though I received the very few, other vaccinations of the time. I have been vaccine-free for the last 20-25 years, and I remain the least affected by common infectious diseases of all my family members and friends.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:01 pm

I was diagnosed with "infantile autism" when I was about three. Then they changed their minds and called me "brain-injured." In retrospect, I was very much like the boy in the book "Elijah's Cup." Elijah had symptoms of classic autism when very young, then Asperger's when he got older.

Truthfully, many people who are diagnosed with "high-functioning autism" or "Asperger's" probably would have been diagnosed with "brain-injury" or "minimal brain dysfunction" in the 60s and 70s.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2016, 8:01 pm

Never had a diagnoses as a child but something did happened at the age of 1 or 2 which was I stopped speaking for a whole year.

Nobody knows why, but I'm starting to think it could have possibly been due to the vaccines.. I have to check if I can find any childhood vaccines or see if I still have records. I asked my parents and they have no clue..

As most parents, mine were pretty ignorant and refused to do any research and always thought the doctors knew best. Even in school when they said I needed a whole bunch of drugs to calm me down, my parents would just go with it. I lost so much weight on Ritalin and was shorter than most children and nothing was done about it.. Only until I became suicidal and really sick that it became obvious to my parents to start listening but I had no power until I was an adult..

Today I wonder what caused so much dramatic detrimental effects on me that didn't occur until later on in life but it also seems to come in cycles.. Avoiding stress contributes to my wellbeing most of the time and having enthusiasm if u will.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:18 pm

I believe this might be interesting to OP as it relates to the topic.

Its long but I listened to it and it has some interesting points on both sides of the debate concerning vaccines.

Enjoy,

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:40 pm

Any link between Autism and Vaccines have been thoroughly debunked.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2016, 9:22 pm

zkydz wrote:
Any link between Autism and Vaccines have been thoroughly debunked.

That's what you hear everywhere and so blatantly and aggressively that you forget about possibilities, have you done research and looked at both sides of the story? I'm trying to be fair and unbiased.

Honestly, I have not seen an actual demonstration of vaccines and autism being associated but why is it that holistic doctors whom claimed to have found the rare susceptible gene and association with vaccines have been silenced and or killed? Anyone who's still calling for further research of vaccines and autism are scrutinized and told to go somewhere else..

I don't really trust the CDC and FDA it's been shown time after time that their biggest interest are protecting the drug companies even though they have legitimate concerns for consumers at a cost that won't hurt them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:35 pm

Before many of the vaccines were developed, there was autism.

Autism has been documented, as such, since at least 1943. Before all elements of the MMR vaccine were developed. I think they had the Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus (DPT) vaccine back then, though.

I believe autism is a complex of autisms, rather than just one "autism."

With many different causes.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:38 pm

BrainPower101 wrote:
I'm trying to be fair and unbiased.

OK, great! So let's take you at your word and assume that if you are given clear compelling evidence this autism vaccine link argument is based on lies, then you would accept that and decide that the link is not real?

Fair assumption?

Alexithymia: 137

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I am not trying to shoot a hole in this theory here but wouldn't that mean there would be several completely different diagnoses of autism? Wouldn't that also mean we have taken a step back by removing aspergers from the DSM?

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

You've obviously done some research or you wouldn't be trying to be fair and balanced. But, beware of the desire to find an explanation for something that just may be one of the many things that nature does all on its own.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

I've never understood why some people put so much stock in a tiny study with a tiny N that barely reached into the double digits, and where the participants were selected using questionable methods, and presume that it is worth at least as much as multiple population-based studies, which were conducted to verify the results of the former, with a combined N of greater than 10 million. It must be because the former seemed to find a link between autism and vaccines and all of the studies among the latter did not verify it. That is, cherry-picking.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

dcj123 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I am not trying to shoot a hole in this theory here but wouldn't that mean there would be several completely different diagnoses of autism? Wouldn't that also mean we have taken a step back by removing aspergers from the DSM?

Actually, not necessarily. The diagnosis only identifies the condition which, in this case, is defined with a quite wide range of optional components. Satisfying the diagnostic criteria might not link to only a single causal mechanism. Eg. I can suffer a heart attack but the specific cause could be one of a hundred different things but its still the same diagnosis.

If this is the case, the arguable differences between higher-functioning autism and the old Asperger's may, for example, be down to different degrees to which a particular trait causes problems rather than which gene cluster is responsible.

Alexithymia: 137

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:52 pm

Asperger's is still in the ICD-10, which is sometimes used in the US, believe it or not.