People from your location could see you on dating sites

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 8:41 pm

It's frickin' weird. 8O
What do you think about that?
Have you ever seen somebody there that you know?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 9:59 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't it be a good thing for people in your location to know that you are single?
I've never been on a dating site but I assumed that was the general idea.
unless you want a long distance relationship.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:41 pm

Yeah, I agree with R.
But I know R is weird as so am I.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:47 pm

Drawyer wrote:
Yeah, I agree with R.
But I know R is weird as so am I.

Thank you, you lovely weirdo.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 11:06 pm

I guess if you're not on Tinder or something similar that is location based it might be a bit odd. I've never used a dating site though so I don't know how the matching process actually works.

black0441
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2016, 11:26 pm

Earthling wrote:
It's frickin' weird. 8O
What do you think about that?
Have you ever seen somebody there that you know?

I agree it's weird. In 2002, when online dating was still very unusual, one of my co-workers had a profile on a dating website where he talked about his job. Let's just say he...exaggerated every single aspect of it.

Somebody printed out dozens of copies and stashed them all over work. They were turning up everywhere for weeks.

That incident is still the first thing that pops into my head when I think of online dating.

I once saw a person on OkCupid that I knew in IRL. It was months before I could log in again from the anxiety of it.

AQ: 35
Diagnosed with ASD Level 1 15 Jan 2016

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

Yes I would feel weird about it. That's why I don't do online dating. It amuses me that you choose a screen name instead of your own name, but post a photo of yourself. Why not just use your own name, it's obviously you.

I know someone that recognised someone they knew on a dating site and they made fun of them. It's becoming more mainstream, but for the people who manged to find someone offline, online dating is seen as a thing for losers. That's not true. Lots of people meet online these days, but there are still some who feel it's not a good thing.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 8:54 am

isn't that kind of the point of a dating site?

Yes, it can be weird if it is a person you know, but on the other hand, now you both know that the other is single and looking, why not give it a try?

I have seen someone i know rather well on Tinder myself, several times, but i already knew that we wouldn't be a good match

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

I think its good, made it possible to meet people in my location, rather than people that would have been hard to meet in person due to the distance. I did date one guy off OKcupid for a while who lived kind of far, but it was short lived because he lost interest and than I felt like I wasted too much time and bus fare money on that guy....especially since he just pretty much ended the relationship out of the blue and just didn't text or call me for 2 weeks till he finally texted that he didn't want to pursue the relationship any further.

So yeah nice having people close so if it doesn't work out you didn't waste a bunch of time or gas money/bus fare going to see them.

Then again it might be weird if I were in like a small town with a rather close knit community, so the people in my location are just a few random people from town...then it might be a little strange. But living in a metro area there are a lot more people and you don't usually run into the same people so much.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2016, 11:45 am

I actually reconnected with an old friend via OKC. I was searching under Anime interests and was like, wait is that -----? IT IS! Now we are friends again after like 10 years of losing touch so I don't find it very weird. If only I could find someone with similar interests who would respond back on those sites >.<;

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Then again it might be weird if I were in like a small town with a rather close knit community, so the people in my location are just a few random people from town...then it might be a little strange. But living in a metro area there are a lot more people and you don't usually run into the same people so much.

Indeed I live in a small-ish suburbian place with close-knit community.
Would have been good to post in OP. Can't edit it anymore though. But yeah.
Many people where I live dislike me, I'm an outsider, so it's awkward.

But I figure, might as well not give a f**k. :|