Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 5:44 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I also do much better if I can teach myself. Or I guess learning one-on-one would work too. But in most classes, I am learning faster than everyone else and get bored. I have no patience for other people's questions because I am bored, ready to move on, and really getting irritated. I have to learn at my own pace. That's probably the case with you, too.
Here's what's happening. I found a place that puts forth the information with a lot of work problems. I'm already deep into Algebra with solving basic equations like this in my head:(8x − 2) + (3 − 5x) = (2x − 1) − (x − 3)

Not great, but it's ok since when this thread started I was trying to relearn rules and such. What's holding me back is this: I understand the principles involved. I just make really stupid mistakes and so I keep hammering the problems until I get them right. I'm also trying to train my mind again to do this in the head.

I used to hang with a couple of people and they would always struggle with basic maths. They had no cognitive deficiencies. It was their schooling. Gonna step in it here, but this is what they told me:

They both went to these 'advanced schools' that were experimental hokum using counting sticks and such stuff, and understanding the principle is more important than the answer. I was trained the old school way. Guess who could do the math?

So, all this crap about retooling the school system is really not doing anybody any favors. You would think that everybody over the age of 35 would have died in childhood because they weren't padded head to toe in everything, and there would have been no tech because everybody was taught in a stupid system that didn't work.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Illangelo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2016, 6:47 pm

I must say, I have always been atrocious at Math. No matter how much I studied/practiced it, it just never stuck. In fact, I kind of hate the subject though I do begrudgingly acknowledge how important it is. As far as studying, I feel your pain. I didn't do much of it back in school, it was just so danged boring! Know, if we were told to study something interesting... suffice it to say, my Grades were nothing special back then.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 7:29 pm

What was funny was that when we moved back to America in '70 I was in the fourth grade. I was testing at the 8th grade level. Nooooobody paid attention. I was already a year ahead...why not just punt me to someplace that could nurture it?

I never studied. Would sit down and cold type my papers the night before they were due. Would sit in the back of classes and drew super hero posters and Conan posters and then pass every test. Never did homework until caught and made to do some to catch up.

I mean, I get it, nobody knew what they were dealing with, but did not at least discuss the large gap between where I was academically and where I was in fact.

Oh well, at least in the intervening years I have learned that when I have some purpose to apply the study to, it gets done. A bit creaky on the basics, but I did teach myself how to program mobile games in a year. And it helps that the purpose also furthers one or more of my special interests.

Edit: BTW, cold typing my papers was on a real typewriter, not a computer keyboard. That meant you had to be careful with mistakes because some teachers would really be crazy about too much whiteout or correct tape.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:28 am

I never studied nor had to study until college. But in elementary school we got graded on homework. I stopped doing homework in maybe 5th grade. A's on all the tests pretty much, but D's and F's on my report cards fit not doing homework. This continued in middle and high school, until I dropped out.

I barely showed up for any classes, but if I did when we were taking a test, I did very well. A few teachers had talks with me when they realized I was smart, because I wasn't applying myself. Didn't do any good.

I wish schools just taught kids based on ability rather than grade level. I was in the "high" reading group, but I was reading on a college level in 4th or 5th grade. No challenge. I was never challenged. I got everything done fast and drew on my papers while waiting for everyone else.

Kids should be in different classes based on ability in different subjects, not age. So maybe just math and reading in the lower grades, since they are most important then. After that maybe add science. Music and art, even. I was always way ahead in art class.

They sort of do that in high school, I guess. There are advanced classes.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 1:13 am

Yigeren wrote:
I never studied nor had to study until college. But in elementary school we got graded on homework. I stopped doing homework in maybe 5th grade. A's on all the tests pretty much, but D's and F's on my report cards fit not doing homework. This continued in middle and high school, until I dropped out.

I barely showed up for any classes, but if I did when we were taking a test, I did very well. A few teachers had talks with me when they realized I was smart, because I wasn't applying myself. Didn't do any good.

I wish schools just taught kids based on ability rather than grade level. I was in the "high" reading group, but I was reading on a college level in 4th or 5th grade. No challenge. I was never challenged. I got everything done fast and drew on my papers while waiting for everyone else.

Kids should be in different classes based on ability in different subjects, not age. So maybe just math and reading in the lower grades, since they are most important then. After that maybe add science. Music and art, even. I was always way ahead in art class.

They sort of do that in high school, I guess. There are advanced classes.
What got me was the skewed system where we had levels in my HS. Level 1 was special ed. Level 2 was the average. Level 3 was the advanced students. You know why I never gave a damn about being level 3? They never did more in depth work. Just more work. Just more of the same. So, I got Ds and Fs and didn't care. But, somehow, in a system where you had to have just 180 credits to graduate, I had 225 ( if I remember correctly). If I had known that, I could have graduated at 16 instead of 17. Putzes......

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13