Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LilacViolet
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2016, 6:17 am

I have an appt with my GP this week , just a routine one. Is there a benefit in mentioning the Asperger suspicions? Or will it just label me? What purpose would a referral have?

Is is life better out or in ? Did anyone with a referral regret it? Why?

Confused.....

danum
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2016, 7:20 am

I had my diagnosis added to my medical files because I have a few sensory issues which might be relevant to any feature treatments.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 7:42 am

I'm going to tell my primary care physician. Just because I want to. I have sleeping problems and some other autism-related issues that do affect my health. But the main reason will be to finally be able to explain why I'm so weird. Because otherwise, people just think I'm strange, creepy, odd, eccentric, rude, blunt etc. I'd rather be thought of as autistic than any of those other things. Well, eccentric isn't so bad actually.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 7:51 am

I was 2 when I got diagnosed, so I didn't have much say so in it.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2016, 7:59 am

It's always worth mentioning your concerns. That's part of a GP's job. If they support your concerns, then it could lead somewhere, if they don't, then I'm sure they'll reassure you. Either way, you should come away feeling better for mentioning it.

I never regretted bringing it up.

LilacViolet
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

Thank you everyone. I don't know why I am hesitating, other than I'm scared. Once it's vocalised, how can you go back to faking, pretending and imitating in order to fit in.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 2:25 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I'm going to tell my primary care physician. Just because I want to. I have sleeping problems and some other autism-related issues that do affect my health. But the main reason will be to finally be able to explain why I'm so weird. Because otherwise, people just think I'm strange, creepy, odd, eccentric, rude, blunt etc. I'd rather be thought of as autistic than any of those other things. Well, eccentric isn't so bad actually.

Eccentric is when you have money...

Otherwise you're just weird.

But, I too will let all health professionals know as it can affect other medical issues.

Here is something I just learned and may be happening to me. My grandson is formally diagnosed with Asperger's. When I saw the family at Christmas I was told that he was having trouble eating due to a processing disorder that was cropping up recently. When he would try to eat, it would trigger the urge to go to the bathroom, even though he didn't have to go.

So, for the last year I have lost at least 45 pounds because I am just not hungry. I feel fine. Not tired, etc.

So, what if I am having a similar sensory issue? I dunno, but I do believe that all things need to be considered.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 8:02 am

I've found my doctors are more likely to believe me about my symptoms if I tell them I'm autistic. I think my nonverbal cues aren't quite what they expect for someone reporting the symptoms I'm reporting, and if they don't know about my diagnosis they interpret that as deception.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 8:15 am

Ettina wrote:
I've found my doctors are more likely to believe me about my symptoms if I tell them I'm autistic. I think my nonverbal cues aren't quite what they expect for someone reporting the symptoms I'm reporting, and if they don't know about my diagnosis they interpret that as deception.
Here's what I run into. I go to a doctor. I run through all the things I am feeling, give them pain levels if applicable and basically sound like a hyper prepared faker.

And when you get into processing disorders, I can see where nothing makes sense because things not reacting the way they should.

So, yeah, medical professionals do need to know.

Employers (HR file) need to know to make accommodations/allowances.

Family should know so they know what they're really dealing with.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 8:56 pm

zkydz wrote:

Haha, I think you're right. Going to have to get some money then so I can be eccentric instead.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

Yigeren wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Haha, I think you're right. Going to have to get some money then so I can be eccentric instead.
I'm with you on that goal!! !

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm

zkydz wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Hah. I was just thinking that. With a job, i'm eccentric. Without, just plain crazy.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 10:32 pm

The point would be if you need help due to the disorder.

Can't work. Can't work without allowances. Can't study. Can't study without allowances. And whatnot.

No point otherwise (and it's likely you wouldn't have the clinical disorder anyway if you don't need help).