Page 2 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Five centuries later, when the empire fell in the west, it was the Franks, who were descendants of the very tribes who had freed their country from the Romans, who filled in the power vacuum, and remade continental western Europe between the Alps and the Baltic in their own image.

Who also had the gall to call their empire 'Holy' and 'Roman'.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 10:22 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Wow! Talk about a good history lesson here! Never thought the Romans were intimidated, let alone defeated by a bunch of tribal nude people.

I sure wonder if that nude technique might work in today's wars. :|

Well, the Romans more often than not could defeat them, though with high casualties. But when the Barbarians won, it would be a devastating defeat for the Romans. To be sure though, the Romans feared and respected the wild men of the north as the fiercest warriors they had encountered.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 11:48 pm

it has been my experience that only amuuricans seem tied up in a knot over the knaughty knudes. the rest of the western world is more grown up over this issue, IMHO.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 12:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
it has been my experience that only amuuricans seem tied up in a knot over the knaughty knudes. the rest of the western world is more grown up over this issue, IMHO.

And yet, we seem to have much less problem with violence and gore. I recall how in the German made movie, The Bunker, when Josef Goebbels and his wife shot themselves, the camera averted from the scene; very different from how American cinema would doubtlessly show the murder/suicide. But, oh, show sex and nudity, and the Moral Majority, Focus On The Family, and Christian Coalition would damn it as ungodly and a danger to the family.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 12:08 am

we also have a juvenile squeamishness about language that no other western nation shares. what other nation has grown adults saying things like "va-jay-jay"? that is just like little kids saying "my pee-pee."

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 6:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
we also have a juvenile squeamishness about language that no other western nation shares. what other nation has grown adults saying things like "va-jay-jay"? that is just like little kids saying "my pee-pee."

Truly the U.S.A. has a lot to grow up from!

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 6:35 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

and it is embarrassing as all get-out! :oops: comics in other nations have long made fun of America's provincial and hypocritical prudishness.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 7:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

and it is embarrassing as all get-out! :oops: comics in other nations have long made fun of America's provincial and hypocritical prudishness.

Honestly Japan seems to be one of the few countries that I can think of that both believes in Christianity and isn't afraid to challenge it for its flaws and contradictions. (at least from what I've seem from its animes)

"In God we trust" Huh...? Well that "trust" is already destroying both U.S. and modern society as we know it.

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 7:26 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Honestly Japan seems to be one of the few countries that I can think of that both believes in Christianity and isn't afraid to challenge it for its flaws and contradictions. (at least from what I've seem from its animes) "In God we trust" Huh...? Well that "trust" is already destroying both U.S. and modern society as we know it.

but at least we have our insipid 7-second delay, ready to pounce on any curse word. :roll:

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 7:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
but at least we have our insipid 7-second delay, ready to pounce on any curse word. :roll:

What do you mean by that? I don't quite understand what you mean. :(

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 7:55 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in American tv and radio broadcasting, profanity is banned, no cursing allowed, it must be muted or bleeped out by a censor. the 7-second delay is a recording loop that continuously cycles 7 seconds from the most recent event, in a buffer that can be tapped into, when a performer utters forbidden words or shows nudity or something else forbidden such as a vulgar gesture, the censor can locate the event in the 7-second buffer and push a censor button, called "profanity dump" or audio, or another button which blacks the screen or fuzzes out the video in certain areas so as to cover up a bare naughty bit. without the 7-second delay loop the censor can't hit the button fast enough as he or she would have to be a mind reader to know if a performer was gonna do some forbidden thing at a certain time, the 7-second loop gives them that time. meaning, even live performances here are not truly live but taped/recorded 7 seconds before what you see happening on the screen or hear on the radio, at any given time. they only do this here in amuurica. other nations are not so namby-pamby.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 10:42 am

auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in American tv and radio broadcasting, profanity is banned, no cursing allowed, it must be muted or bleeped out by a censor. the 7-second delay is a recording loop that continuously cycles 7 seconds from the most recent event, in a buffer that can be tapped into, when a performer utters forbidden words or shows nudity or something else forbidden such as a vulgar gesture, the censor can locate the event in the 7-second buffer and push a censor button, called "profanity dump" or audio, or another button which blacks the screen or fuzzes out the video in certain areas so as to cover up a bare naughty bit. without the 7-second delay loop the censor can't hit the button fast enough as he or she would have to be a mind reader to know if a performer was gonna do some forbidden thing at a certain time, the 7-second loop gives them that time. meaning, even live performances here are not truly live but taped/recorded 7 seconds before what you see happening on the screen or hear on the radio, at any given time. they only do this here in amuurica. other nations are not so namby-pamby.

Wow! :o all that effort just to censor "inappropriate" stuff?

...Here's my sincere reaction:

Am I the only one that think this might be Christianity's fault? :roll:

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 10:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

...Here's my sincere reaction:

Am I the only one that think this might be Christianity's fault? :roll:

-Thomas Jefferson

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 10:51 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.

How did that intimidate their enemies?

The idea of huge, naked warriors bearing swords, spears, and shields, rushing forward in a mass of screaming, frothing-at-the-mouth humanity, as if they were invulnerable to wounds or death - or just didn't care - was terrifying to civilized troops who wore heavy armor so they wouldn't get killed.

I remembered reading that they sometimes were in a state of arousal as well.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

ZD wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.

How did that intimidate their enemies?

The idea of huge, naked warriors bearing swords, spears, and shields, rushing forward in a mass of screaming, frothing-at-the-mouth humanity, as if they were invulnerable to wounds or death - or just didn't care - was terrifying to civilized troops who wore heavy armor so they wouldn't get killed.

I remembered reading that they sometimes were in a state of arousal as well.

Well that explains why the Romans feared them 8O

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in American tv and radio broadcasting, profanity is banned, no cursing allowed, it must be muted or bleeped out by a censor. the 7-second delay is a recording loop that continuously cycles 7 seconds from the most recent event, in a buffer that can be tapped into, when a performer utters forbidden words or shows nudity or something else forbidden such as a vulgar gesture, the censor can locate the event in the 7-second buffer and push a censor button, called "profanity dump" for audio, or another button which blacks the screen or fuzzes out the video in certain areas so as to cover up a bare naughty bit. without the 7-second delay loop the censor can't hit the button fast enough as he or she would have to be a mind reader to know if a performer was gonna do some forbidden thing at a certain time, the 7-second loop gives them that time. meaning, even live performances here are not truly live but taped/recorded 7 seconds before what you see happening on the screen or hear on the radio, at any given time. they only do this here in amuurica. other nations are not so namby-pamby.

...Here's my sincere reaction: Am I the only one that think this might be Christianity's fault? :roll:

nope, our bible belt [and to a lesser extent, boston back in the day] has been notorious in this regard, and it went into high gear after the "janet Jackson incident."