Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 4:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
nope, our bible belt [and to a lesser extent, boston back in the day] has been notorious in this regard, and it went into high gear after the "janet Jackson incident."

Can you explain more about this "bible belt" and "janet jackson incident"? I'm rather interested in this! :)

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 4:15 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
nope, our bible belt [and to a lesser extent, boston back in the day] has been notorious in this regard, and it went into high gear after the "janet Jackson incident."

Can you explain more about this "bible belt" and "janet jackson incident"? I'm rather interested in this! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bow ... ontroversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_in_Boston

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 4:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I knew William Burroughs' Naked Lunch had been banned in Boston, but I hadn't known that there was such a large mess of books that had also undergone the same fate. With the Burroughs book, the decision had been reversed in court.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I knew William Burroughs' Naked Lunch had been banned in Boston, but I hadn't known that there was such a large mess of books that had also undergone the same fate. With the Burroughs book, the decision had been reversed in court.

they also banned, of all things, super soakers :lol:

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

Back in 1997, the council of the town I grew up in banned the local cinema from showing the Stephen Fry fronted Wilde biopic because of its 'homosexual content'. :roll:

It's remarkable how much progress has been made.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 6:13 pm

Hopper wrote:
Back in 1997, the council of the town I grew up in banned the local cinema from showing the Stephen Fry fronted Wilde biopic because of its 'homosexual content'. :roll: It's remarkable how much progress has been made.

had they never read the wolfenden report?

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 6:36 pm

They probably couldn't read Wolves of Willoughby Chase without starting a campaign to close the channel tunnel and asking for 24 hour anti-wolf measures for themselves.

I made the best of growing up there I could, but the culture was (and remains) dismal.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 6:39 pm

Hopper wrote:
They probably couldn't read Wolves of Willoughby Chase without starting a campaign to close the channel tunnel and asking for 24 hour anti-wolf measures for themselves.

I made the best of growing up there I could, but the culture was (and remains) dismal.

couldn't be any worse there than in the bible belt here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:04 pm

Hopper wrote:
Back in 1997, the council of the town I grew up in banned the local cinema from showing the Stephen Fry fronted Wilde biopic because of its 'homosexual content'. :roll:

It's remarkable how much progress has been made.

Really? From what I recall of that movie, it was rather tame.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Hopper wrote:
Back in 1997, the council of the town I grew up in banned the local cinema from showing the Stephen Fry fronted Wilde biopic because of its 'homosexual content'. :roll: It's remarkable how much progress has been made.

I guess there are parts of England where there are folks who are just as backwards as parts of amuurica. :o

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Hopper wrote:

I guess there are parts of England where there are folks who are just as backwards as parts of amuurica. :o

I'm sure that's true.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:48 pm

I guess it really comes down to "there's a time and place for it", some areas are far more lenient about it than others, the same goes for people. As for me? I honestly don't know where I stand on the debate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 12:19 am

in England, I believe the BBC observes something called "sanctuary" where they limit sex/violence and other naughty bits before 9PM, and in America they unofficially have something called "family viewing time" [no longer explicitly called that but the practice remains of restricting non-family fare before 9PM] at least on commercial channels.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 3:18 pm

Sometimes I think this censorship is just far too ridiculous; I can clearly understand that they are cultures that forbid nudity and/or consider it taboo, but what I don't understand is why all the effort to veil someone's eyes from nudity? Isn't it simple human nature to stare at a man/woman's body lustfully? after all if it isn't for what many Christians would call "lust" the human race would've dead a long time ago.

The question I'd like to sincerely ask Christians is; why should we all be ashamed of expressing our sexuality? Why is it more abominable to witness a same-sex couple express their sexuality than than to witness a brother-and-sister couple have sex in which can actually (and quite literally) produce abominations? (I've herd cases in which many babies were deformed due to inbreeding)

I'm sorry, but I think the U.S. is far too powerful, smart and independent to be ruled by bunch of religious hypocrites.

-Thomas Jefferson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 3:26 pm

^^^ :wtg:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Sometimes I think this censorship is just far too ridiculous; I can clearly understand that they are cultures that forbid nudity and/or consider it taboo, but what I don't understand is why all the effort to veil someone's eyes from nudity? Isn't it simple human nature to stare at a man/woman's body lustfully? after all if it isn't for what many Christians would call "lust" the human race would've dead a long time ago.

The question I'd like to sincerely ask Christians is; why should we all be ashamed of expressing our sexuality? Why is it more abominable to witness a same-sex couple express their sexuality than than to witness a brother-and-sister couple have sex in which can actually (and quite literally) produce abominations? (I've herd cases in which many babies were deformed due to inbreeding)

I'm sorry, but I think the U.S. is far too powerful, smart and independent to be ruled by bunch of religious hypocrites.

Thing is, there was expressions of sexuality in Christian culture, up until recent times, among the very poor. Poor people would have to live in tiny domiciles where parents and children would have to sleep in the same room. Obviously, sex between the parents was something that was viewed frequently (especially when there would be several children, due to lack of birth control), and probably taken for granted.