no 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
shiny 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 30

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 1:32 pm

Should I Take Antidepressants?

The therapist I've been seeing suggested taking them today.

essexcjm201
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2007, 1:48 pm

I would say yes because he is a professioanl who is employed to help you

Also I took them for a few months a couple of years ago shortly after dropping out of university as I had become deeply depressed owing to feelings of being a failure and that was life was pointless etc anyway I found them to be quiet helpful

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 1:50 pm

I saw a woman, and I have to see another doctor to get them prescribed.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 2:11 pm

Which ones are you considering?Everyone has a different effect from different ones.......Zoloft turned me into zombie,I can stop crying taking low dose of Effexor but am afraid to stop taking it(rebounds a drag),I really like Wellbutrin and heard it can be
very helpful for people with AS(Ask Machine1,he knows a lot about chemistry).

The only down side....takes awhile to get the right med and right dose.Some can be hard to "come off".I think they have made my memory worse and wonder if this is part of how they work.....I cant remember what I was so depressed about,dont "ruminate" about things that bother me because I cant remember them(sounds like a joke,but I'm serious,it's part of how electric shock is supposed to work).

Whatever you decide,I wish you luck.I wish I had taken it when I was younger,would have saved a lot of nights banging my head,cutting and crying....that s**t gets old after 20 years.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2007, 3:37 pm

Don`t take them.Try St. John`s Wort a natural anti depressant available from health food shops.
I`m still alive thanks to it.Although I don`t need it now.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 4:21 pm

I think you should give them a shot. They don't do s**t for me, but they might for you.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 4:28 pm

They out me on those before and it didn't do jack s**t.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 4:37 pm

If you plan on taking an SSRI my advise is to start on an extremely low dose and gradually increase. Side effects can drive you up the wall if you start too high (If you feel anxious and queasy you are probably starting too fast). It took me two months to get up to a high enough dose to have any effect. I am extremely sensitive to medications and only require half the dose most people take. I'm not a small person either at 6'2" 225 lbs. I think the sensitivity to SSRI's is common for AS people.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 5:17 pm

agmoie wrote:
Don`t take them.Try St. John`s Wort a natural anti depressant available from health food shops.
I`m still alive thanks to it.Although I don`t need it now.

I am allergic to the stuff actually or at least have an intolerance to it.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 5:29 pm

Cymbalta worked a little for me, but now I'm only on something for OCD. I'd rather be obsessive compulsive than be depressed.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 5:40 pm

ahayes wrote:
Should I Take Antidepressants?

The therapist I've been seeing suggested taking them today.

I was alright on citalopram.

I don't think depression is the issue here as much as anger management, but if depression is the root cause....

On sabbatical...

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 6:14 pm

You probably know my view on these already. They have destroyed too many people that I know.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 6:41 pm

I'm going to get ahold of a family member and see what they say, but unless they offer any compelling reasons I haven't already considered I'm going to go for it.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Apr 2007, 6:45 pm

Yes they are worth trying. My own opinion (but individual reactions vary alot to meds) is
generic prozac is effective, low side effects, and low cost(off patent). I would give it a try. The anti-depressant responce takes about a month. So unless the drug has extreme side effects you must committ to taking it for atleast a month. And if it does not help in a month and side effects are low you might then work the dose up higher.
If side effects become a problem or it still does not work you can try another med. There is some evidence to suggest trying a second drug when the first one fails make sence to do.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 6:49 pm

I am anti-med because I have seen psych meds damage people and I have had bad experiences myself on psych meds. Which med would you go on? If you do try it, start at the lowest possible dosage. If you keep having to increase the dose because there's no effect, I would get off them asap.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 6:50 pm

There's also a theory that psych meds affect AS people differently than they do NTs... it's just a theory though, nothing that has been proven.