Do you think that virginia Tech killer Cho Seu was an Aspie?

Page 21 of 23 [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Acerimmer1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2007, 4:26 pm

When you really think about the girls reaction to him and about his room mate taking his comment "I might aswell kill myself" seriously. It seems pretty clear that people around campus knew this guy was a problem, and thats why he had no freinds.

I also think that fact has probably been played down by the university big time! And by the students themselves. Which is maybe why you've heard people say they "thought he was just a bit odd" as opposed to saying "yeah I knew he was gonna kill those people in fact he told me so the week before. But I really couldn't be bothered to mention it to the authorities because I was too busy chasing tail around campus".

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 7:26 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Quote:
A Pastor? Oh well he must be true. I actually thought he had been properly diagnosed LOL

Funny. I do not recall saying the Pastor diagnosed him?? Must have missed that one, lol.
Actually, if you hunt on google for this guy's name and 'autistic' you will find numerous sources that say he was diagnosed soon after arriving in the USA.

But that goes back to my argument that cultural differences can preclude an accurate diagnosis. In Korea people think you're an a**hole if you maintain eye contact - in the U.S. the NT's expect it. Those sorts of subtleties would make it damn difficult to diagnose Cho with ASD.

Acerimmer1

22 Apr 2007, 8:42 pm

janicka wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
Quote:
A Pastor? Oh well he must be true. I actually thought he had been properly diagnosed LOL

Funny. I do not recall saying the Pastor diagnosed him?? Must have missed that one, lol.
Actually, if you hunt on google for this guy's name and 'autistic' you will find numerous sources that say he was diagnosed soon after arriving in the USA.

But that goes back to my argument that cultural differences can preclude an accurate diagnosis. In Korea people think you're an a**hole if you maintain eye contact - in the U.S. the NT's expect it. Those sorts of subtleties would make it damn difficult to diagnose Cho with ASD.

Yep, way I see it you've got somebody who has some sort of problem that we don't really know much about. And there's no way we can be sure what we are hearing about Cho is all true. So IMO the video is all we can really go on.

We do know that his condition lead to mass murder and him proclaiming himself to be like Jesus. Which makes NPD more likely than AS in my opinion.

I also thought it sounds as if he has a monotone voice. Which is 1 symptom of AS but nobody could diagnose AS on that basis.

That is the only factual evidence I know of to support the diagnosis of AS, inso far as I'm aware the rest of it is hear say uncovered or made up by the press in their haste to get the scoop 1st.

Cho apparently didn't have many freinds. Well of course he doesn't would you admit you were his freind? It's amazing how quickly your freinds abandon you when you do something like this! Even if he was the most popular guy on campus nobodies gonna actually come out and say "I was his freind" after this.

Then of course everybody wants to be on camera and give the press a story which cannot be about what a great guy he is. That would effectively be what NT's refer to as "social suicide". Nor can they say that any individual or group was Cho's freind (at least not without feeling thay are being a grass or a snitch) because that would be "social homicide" (if you said that Jimmy was Cho's mate you could be ruining Jimmy's entire life certainly his whole time at Uni nobody would want to know him). Even if somebody did say that it might never be broadcast anyway depending on how the media decided to spin the story (in that case the press would just grab the nearest person willing to say something that they do like).

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:17 am

Last one, I promise.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:31 am

Acerimmer1 wrote:
[A Pastor? Oh well he must be true. I actually thought he had been properly diagnosed LOL

In the 8th grade, Cho was suspended for making a hit list of his classmates. I'm sure he was given a psychological evaluation at that time by the school system and was labeled with something. According to his grandparents in South Korea, Cho apparently ceased to exist in his parents' correspondence. What does that say about his parents?

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:35 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure the pastor was trying to help and encourage his parents to get him help. The school systems here do diagnose students with obvious problems. They are mandated by law to do so and to provide appropriate services including psychological counseling. It is the kids with the very subtle problems who fall through the cracks. I don't think Cho's problems were subtle.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:39 am

violentcloud wrote:

Last one, I promise.

That's insulting and disrespectful, not to mention thoroughly juvenile. VT didn't discriminate against Cho. That is pretty obvious.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Apr 2007, 9:50 am

wtf violentcloud? that's disgusting.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 10:06 am

Ehh, my bad.

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2007, 2:28 pm

violentcloud wrote:
Ehh, my bad.

Ahh, not bad, we all feel this way sometimes... Perhaps the following applies. My post on AFF about the subject.

And hey, the guy I’m posting to here, Max the Bear, is a really good soul. I’m not taking offense at him. And I didn’t include all of his posts... which can cause this to be taken out of context.

Take a reading trip over to AFF for the full thread.

Read on...

Beammeup wrote:
Hey Max the Bear,

I’m relatively new here. Don’t know you. I have appreciated your content very much. So take the following with a “grain of salt”. Read my tag line.

I’ve learned thus far that many of us here are very literal, including myself and my girls, so I included Wiki’s definition of “With a grain of salt” at the end.

Max the Bear wrote:
...this isn't a popular or politically correct thing to say...

Beammeup wrote:
Correct. Might suggest condoning such an act!

Max the Bear wrote:
..."gee... maybe f*****g with the geeks isn't worth the risk."

Beammeup wrote:
f*****g with, is something I could never get going with the gals when I was a teenager. Opportunities abounded, but I was too daft to get the queue. Such as read their body language and facial inflections... This is a joke BTW.

Max the Bear wrote:
...NOT saying I advocate mass murder

Beammeup wrote:
I got the “NOT”, but did everyone? We’re clear here you’re not advocating, right? (Thought Charles did that )

Max the Bear wrote:
...because they are confidant there will be no retaliation.

Beammeup wrote:
My definition of confidence is not this. Seems the bully is the one lacking confidence, expressing some need to bolster him/her self by making another appear lesser. Confidence to me is saying to the bully: “Really? I could care less what you have to say, Mr/Ms Bully”

Max the Bear wrote:
...A number of gays took to patrolling the neighborhood with baseball bats and T-shirts that said "FAGS BASH BACK." It made a difference.

Beammeup wrote:
Great tact! (applause here), and much better than killing 32 people and one’s self.

Max the Bear wrote:
...Bashing back against bullies? I think it needs to happen sometimes.

Beammeup wrote:
Absolutely. Perhaps in a way that doesn’t take lives...

How about starting a list of constructive ways to “Bash back against bullies”. With ideas, one at a time...

1)Write a letter to the legislature asking for stiffer penalties against acts of bullying. (Of cours after the letter one would write informing the legislature about the definition of a bully.)

2)Write a letter, or visit local educational districts, schools of all levels. Particularly the elementary one’s. And loudly insist on a policy with more penalties towards those that bully. Detention!

3)Next time you’re at the doc’s. Educate him/her about prescriptions. The one’s that didn’t work, or came without enough professional observation. Anybody experience this? Prescriptions that can make you paranoid? Perhaps with our killer and with his already dark paranoia, grew to a psychotic delusion that caused, well, look what happened....

Okay... Three at a time... who’s next? My Best Regards

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2007, 4:26 pm

mikh07 wrote:
I think he probably had social anxiety and depression if anything.. I highly doubt he was an aspie.
anyway, You guys seriously do not want this guy to be an Aspie. I swear to god everyone here will become the scum of the earth if he was.

Normals tend toward mob mentality, looking for a simplistic answer. When the lemmings start to move, get out of the way!

The Third Reich perfected mob control, spreading the Big Lie around massively through the media to give the impression that "everyone knows that...." Groupies instinctually buy into it and start what's called a "buzz" that spreads it even further. It's what they used to turn a Jew-loving country into a Jew-killing country in seven years.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 4:50 pm

Mob control is hitting what you aim at.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:03 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
He was no narcissist. narcissist is probably one of the rarest personality disorders.

LoL! You've never driven on the highway during rush hour or worked as a clerk at a shopping center. The estimate of 1% of the population having narcissistic personality disorder is an arbitrary cut-off, but subclinical narcissistic behavior and attitudes at least are far from uncommon.

Cho definitely had the clinical sign of grandiosity, but grandiosity can be found in paranoid personality disorder, paranoid schizophrenia, psychopathy, manic episodes, and some organic and substance-induced psychiatric impairments as well as in narcissistic personality disorder. His videos were also heavily narcissistic as well as paranoid. I still lean towards paranoid personality disorder over narcissistic personality disorder because that disorder includes the grandiosity as well as the evident social withdrawal, the focus on slights and vengeance, and basically the more disordered personality structure.

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2007, 8:58 am

There were times that delusions of grandeur were tempting, compared to reality....

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 9:08 am

NeantHumain wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
He was no narcissist. narcissist is probably one of the rarest personality disorders.

LoL! You've never driven on the highway during rush hour or worked as a clerk at a shopping center. The estimate of 1% of the population having narcissistic personality disorder is an arbitrary cut-off, but subclinical narcissistic behavior and attitudes at least are far from uncommon.

Cho definitely had the clinical sign of grandiosity, but grandiosity can be found in paranoid personality disorder, paranoid schizophrenia, psychopathy, manic episodes, and some organic and substance-induced psychiatric impairments as well as in narcissistic personality disorder. His videos were also heavily narcissistic as well as paranoid. I still lean towards paranoid personality disorder over narcissistic personality disorder because that disorder includes the grandiosity as well as the evident social withdrawal, the focus on slights and vengeance, and basically the more disordered personality structure.

But you can say that anything is sub clinical. A diagnosis is clinical judgment. Nobody is actually anything. There is a sliding scale for everything. Diagnosis is there to be useful. The problem in rush hour and at the checkout is wider part of human nature. Labelling vast amount of people narcissistic serves no purpose.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 1:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

But you can say that anything is sub clinical. A diagnosis is clinical judgment. Nobody is actually anything. There is a sliding scale for everything. Diagnosis is there to be useful. The problem in rush hour and at the checkout is wider part of human nature. Labelling vast amount of people narcissistic serves no purpose.

Well, the self-centered jerk might not be a big enough jerk to qualify for a personality disorder diagnosis, or he or she might otherwise fall through the diagnostic cracks (not the least being that the typical jerk/@ssh*le/b**ch does not seek psychotherapy or other treatment, and their personality isn't highly treatable regardless).

Narcissistic personality disorder, as defined in the DSM-IV-TR, focuses on the exhibitionistic kind of narcissist, the one who craves people's adoration and praise. What about a person who is self-centered, exploitative, but emotionally distant instead of obsequious? That may start to sound like antisocial personality disorder instead but subtract impulsivity, irritability, and a criminal record. Such a person would have an inflexible enough personality to qualify for a personality disorder but would not quite meet the diagnostic criteria for any of them.

A significant percentage of the population is rude and selfish without meeting the formal definition for any specific personality disorder. I'd say perhaps 10-15% of the population could be labeled as subclinical narcissists because their behavior and attitude are that bad.