Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kathryn.f
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

I'm currently in my final year of university in Scotland. I am seeking adults (18+) with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), who have access to the internet and are able to complete an online 20-30 minute questionnaire independently.

This study is designed to learn the relationship between anxiety, sensory processing difficulties and intolerance of uncertainty in a population of adults with ASD.

Research is being conducted by myself ([email protected]) with collaborative supervision from Dr Ashley Robertson ([email protected]).

Click the link below to begin:

http://www.instant.ly/s/HZ33r

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 11:08 am

Just completed your survey

Wreck It Ralph

livnah
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2016, 11:24 am

Poorly written. One question had "be" instead of "me", and it seems like maybe there's hyperbolic language. "I can't stand ..." and "It's not fair" for example. I can stand it, and it's plenty fair, it just really isn't how I want it to be.

The entire question "I feel more nervous and anxious THAN USUAL" with the options of how much of the time is completely nonsensical - USUAL means USUALLY. If I'm USUALLY at a level 3 for example, then I'm more than a 3 about the same as I'm less than a 3, so "Some of the time" is literally the only possible answer.

No going to finish it. Seriously.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

Done

I agree with the previous post, some of that is quite badly written and some of it didn't quite make sense. Like the statements were worded incorrectly for the answer options.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:06 pm

I also agree that a lot of the questions could have been a lot better worded. But I also understand how difficult it is to make a survey and get the wording right. So I did not mind it.

Wreck It Ralph

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

I didn't notice any spelling errors. What does that say about me? Hm.... :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

I didn't like the test - especially the first part. They should have had a "do not understand" answer.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 2:24 am

Finished the survey. I thought most of it was fine, but I was confused by the wording of some of the questions, like, "being uncertain means a person is disorganized", and the answers were "not at all like me" to "entirely like me", but I didn't understand what the question was asking with relation to the answer options given.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 3:49 am

I did the survey. But I am happy to see that I'm not the only one who did not understand or fully understand some questions.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 4:25 am

All that above, too, what to say to statements who are untrue and/or suggestif?
"being uncertain means a person is disorganized" is not answerable if you don't agree in the first place

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 6:53 am

Did Alex give the OP permission to solicit for his survey on WP?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 9:42 am

I don't think the OP has permission and I think it needs to be asked for.

The survey is very unimpressive, at a glance.

The "Consent" page has "yes/no" buttons at the bottom but gives no indication of what is being consented to. Really. Not a single question is asked! No "I understand that by clicking "yes" I am agreeing to..."

If the rest of the questions are as poorly conceived as the consent page, I don't expect this research to produce any useful result.

Quote:
Consent Form

The rationale for this study is to explore the relationship between Intolerance of Uncertainty, Anxiety and Sensory processing in Adults with a diagnosis of Autism. Participation in this study will involve the completion of three questionnaires: Intolerance of Uncertainty Questionnaire, Self-rating Anxiety Questionnaire and a Sensory Processing Questionnaire. In doing this, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders and how these factors are associated with each other.

N.B. All the questions on this page are mandatory. You must select 'Yes' in order to move on to the questionnaires. You will not be able to participate if you select the 'No' box.

What does clicking yes mean, in this context? ???? 8O

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 9:57 am

Adamantium wrote:
I don't think the OP has permission and I think it needs to be asked for.

The survey is very unimpressive, at a glance.

The "Consent" page has "yes/no" buttons at the bottom but gives no indication of what is being consented to. Really. Not a single question is asked! No "I understand that by clicking "yes" I am agreeing to..."

If the rest of the questions are as poorly conceived as the consent page, I don't expect this research to produce any useful result.

Quote:
Consent Form

The rationale for this study is to explore the relationship between Intolerance of Uncertainty, Anxiety and Sensory processing in Adults with a diagnosis of Autism. Participation in this study will involve the completion of three questionnaires: Intolerance of Uncertainty Questionnaire, Self-rating Anxiety Questionnaire and a Sensory Processing Questionnaire. In doing this, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders and how these factors are associated with each other.

N.B. All the questions on this page are mandatory. You must select 'Yes' in order to move on to the questionnaires. You will not be able to participate if you select the 'No' box.

What does clicking yes mean, in this context? ???? 8O
I took it to mean that if you select 'no' you will not proceed. Clicking 'yes' implies consent and allows moving forward.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 10:14 am

zkydz wrote:
I took it to mean that if you select 'no' you will not proceed. Clicking 'yes' implies consent and allows moving forward.

Consent to what?

Skilled researchers don't just make this up on the fly but work from an existing body of knowledge and expertise.
https://www.rit.edu/research/hsro/basic ... nsent_form
http://www.who.int/rpc/research_ethics/ ... onsent/en/

The University of Dundee has such a form:
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/medden/newsarti ... 892005.doc

Quote:
The understanding should perhaps be better tested through targeted questions during the reading of the information sheet (some examples of questions are given above), or through the questions being asked at the end of the reading of the information sheet, if the potential participant is reading the information sheet him/herself.

Having the "consent form" on a different screen than the information sheet really requires some information that the act of clicking "yes" means you have read the information sheet and agree to the details in it.

You should not have to "take it to mean" something. A document like this should be explicitly clear about what it means.

The OP seems to have ignored the responses here and is now spamming the board with duplicate threads on this. I am leaving the links in the OP for the moment and hope the OP gets permission from Alex. If things go on like this, these links won't be here for long.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 10:24 am

Adamantium wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Consent to what?
Now I feel like Maxwell Smart: "Didn't think of that...The old 'consent to what' trick..."

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13