Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 9:30 pm

Anyone have any tips? I keep getting killed etc because I cannot ride that damn bicycle when following the other guy on the bike at the beginning.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 9:50 pm

Get an uzi or something...

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 9:53 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Anyone have any tips? I keep getting killed etc because I cannot ride that damn bicycle when following the other guy on the bike at the beginning.
Join gamespot,then get the GTA:SA gameguide,thats what i did...

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 10:21 pm

Yeah. I will need it, cannot even figure out how to get him to eat stuff etc. He sure needs something...managed to get through the first mission on the bike tho...Damn, that was hard.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 10:48 pm

Be warned however,if you post frequnetly if the GS forums,you might become addicted.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 11:16 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Yeah. I will need it, cannot even figure out how to get him to eat stuff etc. He sure needs something...managed to get through the first mission on the bike tho...Damn, that was hard.

Go into a restaurant when you have money, go up to the red glowing area, and select a meal. "It's all processed chicken a**", as they say in Clucking Bell....

On sabbatical...

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 11:21 pm

Just keep trying, I had to try a few times to get it. Worst comes to worst you could kill some gangsters and steal an uzi. You might also try getting bike skill.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2007, 11:48 pm

Graelwyn wrote:

I'm so glad someone started a thread here on San Andreas! I got it last year and spent months there. Yeah, a lot of the missions are hard, there were some I'd never have solved without walkthroughs and guides - gamefaqs has some good ones. Are you playing it pc or ps2? That'll make a difference which walkthroughs are most helpful. I'm all pc, but one ps2 guide was better-written for some missions.

Getting him to eat is easy once you find a food place (usually Burger Shot, Cluckin Bell or Well-Stacked Pizza.) Go inside and walk to the glowing pickup in front of the counter. The clerk will say something, and you choose which meal you want (small, med, lg or salad.) You need a few dollars for it, but that's basically it.

Have you played Vice City? I spent like a year of my life there. :D Good times, but this game is so much bigger, and better - many improvements & additions. Over 100 storyline missions! And when missions are hard, there all kinds of other things to do... I could go on and on, praising San Andreas.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 12:08 am

How do you break away from a mission to do stuff though? During the first mission, only place I seemed able to enter was a bar. Have $250...but couldn't seem to find any eating places.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2007, 12:32 am

Graelwyn wrote:
He sure needs something...

Yeah, your skills are minimal at first (driving, weapons, etc.) The more you use something (car, motorcycle, pistol, smg, etc) the better you get at it. I'd recommend driving cars (not bicycles) and/or motorcycles (my favorite, the PCJ - great acceleration and speed.) But the motorcycle that's everywhere and easy to get: the Police bike. Yes, when you knock the officer off, you get a wanted star, but... hop on and get away, and go find the nearest 'police bribe' star. Then it's yours, go and park it in your garage and Save... But you'll be driving cars a lot, and there's (usually) one in front of Sweet's house.

One early-game essential is armor - from CJ's front step, turn right, go between houses to a back area, almost to a bridge. Make a hard left and go down the long concrete ramp. At the bottom, look up and to your left and see a free armor tucked up under another bridge. Go up and get it (indeed, top it off before every Save to double the damage you can take.)

Unfortunately, the good weapons are hard to come by in the early game. I don't want to give you the location maps (isn't part of the fun finding things yourself?) but I've seen them, and I'm disappointed how little there is in CJ's hood. And the other thing that's scarce for a long while is money, so I wasn't stocking up at Ammu-Nation much.

Have fun!

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2007, 12:40 am

Graelwyn wrote:
How do you break away from a mission to do stuff though? During the first mission, only place I seemed able to enter was a bar. Have $250...but couldn't seem to find any eating places.

Not sure if the eating places are available during a mission; some things are only available at certain times. You only need to eat about once a game-day, or less. Sometimes I'd forget to eat for a long time; the game will remind you after a couple days. And even then, you just lose fat I think, for a while, before you start to lose any muscle. I wanted to be a lean mean CJ, so forgetting to eat was fine for me; let me concentrate on the fun stuff. :D

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 4:49 am

The way San Andreas does things is actually rather stupid in a way.

-Until you beat the first mission, you cannot enter your house to save.
-Until you beat the second mission, you cannot enter restaurants, tattoo parlors, or
-Until you beat the third mission, you cannot start tagging enemy turf.
-Until you beat...I forget whether it was the 4th or 5th one, you cannot use the Gym.
-Until you beat 9s and AKs, you cannot buy clothing. After this, the only clothing stores open are Binco and SubUrban. Other clothing stores gradually open up after you beat missions. Until then, hope you like looking like a dork. On another note, they give you the option to wear an eyepatch, but they don't give you access to a pirate hat or a shoulder parrot...FOR SHAME!
-Until you beat the fifth mission, you cannot use the Pay and Spray.
-Until you beat all of Ryder's, Sweet's, Cesar's and Big Smokes missions, and the mission after that, you cannot go to Ammunation or start turf wars.
-After Green Sabre, you cannot do turf wars until you beat Homecoming (MUCH later in the game).

etc. etc.

Despite its size, San Andreas is the most linear of the 3 3d GTA games.

That said, you need help with San Andreas? Which version are you playing? I myself had the PC mission and found the first mission to be a cinch; just keep following the bikers and you'll eventually loose the drive-by shooters.

With the second mission, after you go to Well-stacked Pizza and get something to eat, Ryder will try and stick up the place. The game then wants you to run from the owner because he has a shotgun and you're unarmed. Bah! I say, once you're in the car, you run the chump over! After all, due to the way hit detection works in SA, the AI is incapable of headshots, shooting you while you're in a car (though they can still hit you while you're in a motorcycle), or shooting your fuel tank. This same trick should work the same for before the first mission if you want to grab an SMG early on.

From there, it should be easy enough.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 3:18 pm

I have it for the PC I just apply a bunch of cheats and engage in senseless random violence. I've always wondered where the infinate supply of helecoptors comes from. You'd think after 100 or so are shot down they would have to come up with something different.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2007, 3:30 pm

Another thing to remember is that unless you cheat, it is impossible to get more than a 4-star rating until you reach San Fierro in the plotline. Which is both a blessing and a curse. Before you do Green Sabre remains the best time to perform the Vigilante missions until you receive the Armor Upgrade bonus permanent for this reason (as you still have your gang members and aren't as wanted), but at 6 stars is when you can get a tank. The only problem is the AI never uses the tanks to shoot you...LAME.

tomart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 1:08 am

MagicMike wrote:
The only problem is the AI never uses the tanks to shoot you...LAME.

Yeah, I thought that was weird; either the tank runs you over, or if it can't, the only crew member (driver) gets out and shoots you! That tank (in real life) has a crew of 4, and two .50 cal MGs, it could shred you! But I realized they had to tone it down, cuz that would just be too lethal, and no fun. Actually, I found the FBI that comes at 4 stars, to be much more challenging and dangerous... There's always 3 of them, and they are Fast and Extremely Aggressive.

But we're getting WAY ahead of things! if Graelwyn is just starting - dude, there are 100 storyline missions! That's like 30-some in each city. Not counting TONS of other stuff to do; they gradually open up things all throughout the game.

Until you beat the first mission, you cannot ...
Until you beat the second mission, you cannot ...
Until you beat the third mission, you cannot ...

A couple of missions is NOTHING in the grand scheme of this game... Just appreciate each new thing as it comes. They're gradually leading you on a long, long journey. Oh, and not to give anything away, but i wouldn't get too invested in gang turf wars until ... ... um, much later in the game. Oh, go ahead, it's a lot of fun. But, let me put it this way, later in the game when you go to San Fiero and then Venturas, you won't be focused on Los Santos turf... until you come back at the end of the game. [And you'll have better weapons then...] :)

I don't think it's too linear - later on, when most of it opens up to you, you'll have almost too many choices of what to do next. Really! I could start listing all the side missions, girlfriends, vehicle schools, ways of making money (not much at first) ... a full list would be too much. I think that's why they limit it at first.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 12:59 am

Ack, came out of the hospital for the umpteenth time and the map is giving me no idea of where to go... I have been wandering/driving around for ages...

Also, does anyone else feel really bad beating up innocent people to get their money?? :oops: