Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 9:02 pm

I need to buy clothes & underwear, I measured myself, it can be hard measuring myself, my breasts always get in the way when I'm measuring my waist or my glasses fall off my face when I measured my hips & inseam. Shopping used to be FUN!

Do women here have problems too with clothes shopping?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 9:41 pm

I really dislike clothes shopping. Nothing ever fits or looks right on me. So I just try to keep buying the same thing until the manufacturer stops making it. Then I get mad and spend months trying to find something to replace it.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 10:06 pm

I find it difficult to find pants that are long enough for me.

Plus there is the issue of inconsistent sizes.
eg. fitting into size 12 in one store and trying the size 12 in another store and having them be too small. even though you yourself haven't changed a bit.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm

Finding pants was very hard, I have short legs & I'm a petite.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2016, 11:43 pm

Clothes shopping sucks. It's so hard to find things that are reasonably fashionable, look good on me and are comfortable. Shoe shopping is probably the most annoying because manufacturers don't seem to get that not all women want to wear shoes you can barely walk in. Plus I have long narrow feet, which means that shoes that are long enough for me are too wide. It makes for a lot of shoes with laces and adjustable straps.

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2016, 12:17 am

The retail clothing industry has changed over the last decade or so. In trying to squeeze out more profits things like sizing consistency was tossed out. This is why you can pick up two size 12 off the same rack of an identical item and have them be two different actual sizes. There is also no longer any consistency between manufacturers where a size 12 at one store is more like a 10 and a 16 at another. Then there are stores that do non standard sizes that they made up.

Manufacturers have also made clothes with fewer curves to get more garments out of a yard of fabric. So pants have less room in the seat, shirts have less room in the bust. Less effort is put into designing clothing patterns that fit properly due to most clothing now being a disposable cheap commodity. So nothing fits right and much of it is just awful.

I am the same way if I find something I like that fits I try to buy a bunch of them so I don't run out. I also buy more knit or stretch type clothes and wear more leggings and dresses or tunic type shirts. More forgiving. I was tired of pulling up jeans that don't fit.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 3:40 am

I had to go bra shopping :cry: :wall: :wall: :hic:

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 5:11 am

I have to either special order all my clothing or alter it myself. My size doesn't exist anymore. I have been "sized out", which means that years ago the size I was in was maybe the second or third smallest size available. Now, even though my body size is the same, the smallest sizes are 1-2 sizes too big.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 7:57 am

Have you ever shopped in the kids section?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:18 am

I just try on different sized clothes before buying them. I need to get new pants anyway so I always get different sizes to try on to see what fits because every brand is different. No need to measure myself.

First I look in the juniors section and see what pants they have and I normally go for mediums when they are in sizes S M L and XL and I pick out pants I like and if any pants are in number sizes, I pick out the same pants in different sizes I like and try them all on. I also need new work pants so when I go to Goodwill, I will look in the ladies and look at the jeans and get out different sizes to try on.

New shoes, I go to Goodwill for that and I look at size 10s and I look for shoes I need for work since mine are wearing out.

I have pants that are wearing out too because they feel uncomfortable on me, they won't stay up because the elastic in the waist has stretched out because it's worn out. But I still have plenty of pants left so I am not worried about shopping right now. I would just love to replace those specific pants but I am not driving all over looking for a pair that looks similar to that pair and that is the same color. All clothes I have were all found randomly. I was never looking for a specific pair. Now looking for a specific pair is difficult.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:29 am

I hate clothes shopping. HATE it.
My problems began when I was full-grown at age 12. What was fashionable for kids my age didn't fit me. They didn't have much of a "juniors" section back then, so I had to shop in the adult women's section. So I had to dress "old" pretty much my whole life, or have my mom make my clothes for me. To say I was unfashionable was an understatement.

Now with the sizing and not really being able to fit exactly into any style, it is near impossible to find clothes that look right. When I try on clothes at the store and think "I look better naked than with this outfit on", that's really a problem. Clothes are meant to enhance, right?

I do know how to sew, though it is not my favorite thing to do. If I could keep all my sewing stuff set up all the time, it would be less of a problem because it is such an ORDEAL to get it out and have it take over the kitchen only to put it all back again... But, I have really come to the point that if I want clothes that fit right and look good on me, I'm going to have to make them myself (this time, as an adult, picking out my own fabric and patterns...)

I go clothes shopping as little as possible, which is every couple of years. Shoe shopping is more often, but not more than twice a year. Basically, I only go when I am desperate and the clothes I have are starting to literally fall apart.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

Yigeren wrote:
I really dislike clothes shopping. Nothing ever fits or looks right on me. So I just try to keep buying the same thing until the manufacturer stops making it. Then I get mad and spend months trying to find something to replace it.

You may be able to buy more on Ebay.
There are sellers who will measure their stuff and list the dimensions to help you find stuff that fits. The one time the seller made a mistake I got a refund without any hassle. I bring a tape measure if I think I might be buying clothes.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

I like getting clothes but at the same time it can be annoying. Sizes are all messed up.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:49 am

Yes clothes shopping is annoying since pants sizes are all different. Always need pants for curves and have no idea who clothes are supposed to fit sometimes, robots?? I mean some of the pants I try on are ridiculous as they fit horribly. Also I buy petite sizes in pants and regular sizes for tops. Wish clothes could be made normally once again!!

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm

I love clothes shopping. I mainly shop online. I agree that jeans are difficult to shop for. I wear a size 20 in jeans but due to my height I have to look around to find some that I can wear without looking like I'm wearing denim pajamas. That is why I love skinny jeans and jeggings. :D

LillyDale, your Celty avatar is amazing.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 5:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you ever shopped in the kids section?

I have. It works ok for things like shirts. Not with pants so much. My hips are narrow, but my rear end and legs are not shaped like the average kid who wears a kid's size 12. So things like T shirts and sweatpants work ok. And kids clothing is made more cheaply (and looks cheaper) than adult clothing.

Even when special ordering, my size very often does not exist for most brands. It drives me crazy.