Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:23 pm

I shop online most of the time because I don't have my driver's license and can't go to malls or stores all the time. I have my measurements and can successfully find cloches that fit online. Skinny jeans seem to be the only jeans that don't cover my feet and look like pajamas.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Skinny jeans seem to be the only jeans that don't cover my feet and look like pajamas.

Are they comfortable ? I find that tight fitting clothes make it hard for me to breathe. Does the tightness not bother you ? Also, with all the differences in sizes across manufacturers, I find that loose clothing are a better bet. Regardless of which line you buy, they are guaranteed to fit and guaranteed to let your skin breathe.

YMMV, of course.

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 8:27 pm

HisMom wrote:
Skinny jeans seem to be the only jeans that don't cover my feet and look like pajamas.

Are they comfortable ? I find that tight fitting clothes make it hard for me to breathe. Does the tightness not bother you ? Also, with all the differences in sizes across manufacturers, I find that loose clothing are a better bet. Regardless of which line you buy, they are guaranteed to fit and guaranteed to let your skin breathe.

YMMV, of course.

I find them very comfortable. They don't feel tight on me. I got a pair of black skinny jeans this month, tried them on and liked the way they fit. I'm also 5'2 and loose pants look awkward on me.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm also 5'2 and loose pants look awkward on me.

We're almost the same height, so I am curious. Are loose pants comfortable ? I understand that they may make you look "awkward", but what about the comfort factor ?

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 11:02 pm

HisMom wrote:
I'm also 5'2 and loose pants look awkward on me.

We're almost the same height, so I am curious. Are loose pants comfortable ? I understand that they may make you look "awkward", but what about the comfort factor ?

Loose pants are uncomfortable. I tend to put fashion over function unless I'm in my pajamas. When I work out I wear looser pajama pants and a men's t-shirt because I don't want my clothes I wear in public to get sweat on them. Loose pants also fall off of me and belts draw attention to my midsection.

Maple78
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2016, 8:41 am

I think that using a full length mirror makes taking measurements easier - you won't have to look down so much. I still recommend actually trying on the clothes, because sometimes things just don't fit according to measurement. While it is a big pain initially, the trial-and-error of figuring out which brands make clothes that fit your body and style the best is so worth it - then you can usually just order online in the sizes/styles that you know will fit you without even going to the store and trying them on. Even this can be a bit of trial-and-error, sometimes having to do exchanges, but I find it so much nicer than going to shopping malls and in and out of stores. I do all of my shopping online. Basically I figured out what style suited my lifestyle, and which stores could provide that for me, and I stopped looking elsewhere. Now, the stores do all the work of making the right size and style for me, I just look at the selections they offer, that's all. I also make sure the clothes are sturdy enough to last a long time and I take good care of them so as to not have to repurchase too soon. For me, this process was all-consuming (not saying it would be for others). It took up all of my focus/attention/energy for a while to get my wardrobe down, but that was my goal for that time, and now I don't even have to think about it, so I find it was worth it.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2016, 9:04 pm

I am not a recreational shopper; when I go to a store, I know what I want and I just want to try it on and buy it. I have to try things on because I have to know how they feel and I'm very particular about fit. It makes me insane when I can't find what I want, or when something I consider a staple has been discontinued. When I find something I really like, I might buy five of it, because wearing the same thing every day is good for me. I like a uniform. Eventually I get tired of what I'm wearing and move on to a new uniform. I've been on the same boots-cords-blouse combo for a year now. Add blazer when chilly or parka when cold.

FutureVet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

I can't stand the process. Stores are too crowded and full of weird smells and repeatedly taking off and putting on clothes is the worst. Plus lights are bright and in a department store you have to walk through the perfume department to get to anything (not that I ever go to those). Then you have to try on even more clothes when nothing ever fits. And I either love fabrics or I really, really hate them. So maybe I will find an item that looks great on me but I can't wear it because I know I would want to tear it off.

Lately I've been challenging myself to just go to the mall and eat lunch. Get used to being in big public places by myself. The crazy amounts of noise in the food court in a non peak hour are ridiculous.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
AQ: 44

Let me explain: I am not diagnosed nor am I "self-diagnosed," all I know are what my life experiences have been up to this point and a lot of it makes more sense when considered through the lens of autism and sensory processing issues.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 8:14 pm

Lucky me I don't grow much, and I can still wear a lot of the same stuff I did in when I was ten and eleven years old. So I don't need to go shopping. Sometimes my mom will find something cheap like a t-shirt and bring it home to me.

Shopping is hard for me because a lot of the stuff for girls my size is all girly. I like solid color t-shirts and loose jeans. I can find stuff I like in adult sizes, but it's too big for me. As a result, some of the newer stuff my mom has bought for me from the adults section (since she can't find anything gender neutral for kids) is oversized, and my pants are always sliding down. I don't like wearing belts, either.

I also avoid school dances because I can't find stuff that fits, and it's all so sparkly anyway. -_- Either that or it's way too plain for a high school dance.

So yes, shopping for clothes is hard for me!

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 9:14 pm

I like clothes shopping. I just find stores to be overwhelming to my senses.

The environment in department stores is bad due to the various smells from new cloth to perfume, bright or flickering lights, crowd sounds, music, disorientation, and smaller shops want too much to give me personal attention, which means lots of small talk and awkwardness.

I'm the same height as my sister but she's a few sizes smaller as an 'ex-' anorexic; yet neither of us can easily find jeans that make any sort of sense. I think that's why leggings and skinny and straight-cut-with-lycra jeans are so popular; the sizing doesn't have to be precise. You just have to like clingy over baggy.

I now shop online at companies that take brick-&-mortar returns with no hassle or ones that offer free/cheap return postage. I find brands that works for me and that becomes my uniform until the season changes. Then, chaos.