Is it ok to accept the fact that I'm single permanently?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2016, 4:16 pm

I find it easier accepting the fact I will never have a boyfriend. I'm happy enough with friends, looking for a job and loving my family.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 6:02 pm

I think it's okay. It's better than giving into pressure from other people and getting into a relationship that makes you miserable. I've been single for almost a decade and my life is full of friends and family that love me. I also have a career that suits me and activities that take up my time. The people around me who seem to be the most miserable are single people who are obsessed with the fact that they don't have a partner. I was once like that, but then I realized I wanted a partner so that I could be "normal". Getting into a relationship wasn't something that I necessarily wanted for myself. Once I stopped obsessing about finding a partner, I started to enjoy my life a lot more.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2016, 8:33 pm

Easier to just say it but it may not be your ultimate fate.. Remember, you could always lower your standards and not be single and go for someone who's worse off than you..

Now, why don't you tell us more about yourself and situation then we can go from there.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 8:43 pm

There is *nothing* wrong with that. There's no rule that says one must have a partner. Some find life easier with one, some don't.

If anything, i think this acceptance is much better than constantly trying to find another we think will fill the void and magically make our lives better. Instead, you're focusing energy on having a good life as it is and being okay with yourself..and because of this, one day when you're not looking, you may find a partner. And they won't be weirded out by what seems an intense need to find someone, but instead will be drawn to this person who has found contentment with themselves. Or you may not; but if you don't, you'll still be just fine.

I think it's great.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 9:01 pm

Yes, it is ok to feel that way. I came to terms with that issue a long time ago in my life.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 9:18 pm

I spent two periods in my life completely celibate (5 and 8 years each time) and was quite happy and comfortable. The only problem was when other people questioned it as if it was a 'defective' choice.

Just be happy with yourself. If you can't be alone and be happy with yourself, you can't be happy with someone else. And, I think it's true that you only find people when you stop looking. And, I think other people are more likely to be attracted to someone who is comfortable with themselves.

And, although I have someone who can put up with my crap at this time, I still need alone time.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8