Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2016, 4:38 pm

I know I am.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm

Yes. I'm healthier, happier and life is less complicated.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 5:55 pm

I am, but I must admit that sometimes I long for a female companion.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 6:28 pm

Yes, same for me as Amity's reply, I feel happier and that life is less complicated single.

When I'm single it feels like "nobody's rattling my cage". It's a free, peaceful feeling to not be emotionally and/or physically involved and "in love" with anyone.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm

I was perfectly happy when I was single. I was also celibate during that time.

Companionship has its downsides sometimes. Lack of complete autonomy and 'me time' probably bothers me more than anything. I can overload on too much companionship. Really rough on the partner too, I bet.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

CKhermit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

So much Happier!! Especially now that I know why I want and need to be single

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 10:21 pm

Well I generally choose to be single over dating someone I'm not really compatible with. So in that way, yes. I'm single more than I'm in a relationship. But when a relationship is going well, I enjoy that more, I think. For it to be going well, spending time with my partner needs to feel as comfortable and easy as spending time alone.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:41 pm

Being single and childless is cool and acceptable to me. The only problem is when I wander onto Facebook and discover all the people I've known over the years have settled down and have kids. That's when I feel like a schmuck.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 11:55 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Being single and childless is cool and acceptable to me. The only problem is when I wander onto Facebook and discover all the people I've known over the years have settled down and have kids. That's when I feel like a schmuck.
That is not being a schmuck. Far from it. How many people have had children that were not ready for it? I know I was not as available to my children as I should have been. It is something I have to live with every day. I do not think that not having a child or being married is being a schmuck.

How many of them are happy in their marriages?

If you feel things are cool, do not judge yourself by other people.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

zzaspergerzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2016, 12:32 am

Being single is scary in a certain light.... stress and chronic illness. Can handle neither, alone. Being sick and alone is the recipe for an utter meltdown (meaning, mental hospital). (At least, for me....YMMV)

I don't personally see how anyone can cope with the thought of dealing with getting older and ill (inevitably, with age), traveling solo. The thought is abjectly terrifying. Life is stressful enough but to deal with it alone...

To face mean people day in and day out, alone...
In a crisis, alone...

Now I probably bring the meanness out due to my Asperger's. Ok, not everyone is mean, but enough people are.

Rude stares in stores. Etc....

I'm probably no one anyone would want to date, but sometimes I just can't handle the isolation :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 2:17 am

neptunekh wrote:
I know I am.

Khamul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2016, 4:18 am

I've only ever been single, so I can't really compare, but I'm very happy to be so. I've never felt any urge to find a boyfriend (I'm pretty sure I'm aromantic) and I strongly feel that it'd take too much energy out of me if I had one. I struggle to get through the days as it is.

It was a relief to get my diagnosis last year, as I couldn't help looking at other people and wondering why I didn't feel any urge to get a family, and knowing that there's only so long time left if I want to get a child. Not that I want to - it'd be extremely unfair to a child, because I just wouldn't be able to do all the thing that a mother should. But knowing WHY I feel that way has made me realize that it was just a vague desire to be 'normal' and not any real want for a boyfriend/children.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 5:43 am

I'm happier not being romantically involved, but I don't want to be alone. That's why I hope I never lose touch with my brother, even when we're old.

I also really want to have a child (or maybe more than one). And I want my family to help me with my child.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 10:10 am

If I'm ever not single, maybe I'll be able to tell then.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

infidel7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2016, 10:29 am

I'm happy single.

I have a lot of love for my friends and family, and when I'm lonely I try to remember that. I've been in relationships, and I've definitely enjoyed them, but I don't understand and am not interested in the typical concept of "romance". Nor am I interested in participating in age-old rituals of courtship which are based originally on property, patriarchy, and social control.

I need lots of time alone, so being single or being in an open relationship works better for me. Once I gave up wanting what I thought I was "supposed" to want, and started being honest and standing my ground my relationships became better.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2016, 10:31 am

Yes. My ex was far too needy for someone like me to contend with, and we also had absolutely nothing in common.