Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 7:01 pm

Back when I was 185lbs a few years ago I felt a lot swifter when I went for a run. My typical run around the neighbourhood is 7-9km. As I gained muscle mass, I've found it quite a bit more difficult to run. I've been considering doing some longer distance runs/cardio this coming Summer, but not sure if I should adjust my body composition.. or just tough it out and do it the best I can. I thought I may have gained a few lbs over Christmas from eating cookies.. as I expected to be around 195-maybe 200 & around 13-14%bf since I've just been feeling a little heavier lately. So, last week I weighed myself and tipped the scales (naked) at 206.5lbs at 11.5%bf. I guess that's what happens with the diet & exercise I've been doing. At this rate, if I continue as I am, I expect to hit maybe 220lbs this Summer. Hmmmm, not sure if that's going to be a major constraint to running longer distances, though. A friend of mine ran a half marathon at somewhere between 220-230, so part of me thinks ah well whatever if you gain that much then just tough it out.. but I can't help but think how much swifter I'd be if I dropped down to 185 again! Hmmm, decisions decisions.. I know, first world problems lol - but for those that have gone for longer distance runs/rides/swims etc at lower and heavier weights, your input is appreciated. Pros/cons, challenges, difficulties, ability to complete, amount it affects time, cramping issues - anything related, really.

sjone89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2016, 5:36 am

take green foods and do some exercise

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 10:15 am

I'm heavier than all those figures, and I usually walk at the fastest pace I can keep, but I don't seriously consider running as a way to exercise, because I think someone as fat and as obviously clueless and untrained as me looks ridiculous and pathetically lame doing it.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 11:53 am

I never was able to run more than a sprint regardless of my weight or fitness level. I don't breathe correctly or something, and get terrible pains in my abdomen. I don't have this trouble with other types of cardio.

With biking weight never made a difference, but I'm female, so I don't know. I do know that as long as I've been fit, I've been able to be very physically active for many hours at a time no matter my weight. Hiking, biking, heavy yard work, etc. Endurance and enough muscle mass seem to be all that's necessary for me.

But I'm not exactly an elite athlete. Body fat currently about 19-20% (which is good for a woman), and I'm small in stature.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 3:03 pm

Weight makes a difference if you bump into someone while running or biking :twisted: Some heavy people are well aware of it and don't bother to slow down or swerve in crowded places, letting instead everyone else worry about not accidentally standing in their way.

What is considered a "good" fraction of body fat? There's no question I need to lose weight, but I don't exactly want to burn all my fat. I've seen some photos of what several percentages look like, and I'd rather not make my blood vessels protrude through my skin. Also, being quite resistant to the cold is nice, and the last thing I need is to find out I can't swim anymore when I most need it, because I'm not buoyant enough.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
You'll always be able to float.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

sjone89 wrote:
take green foods and do some exercise

While generally good advice, I'm not in unhealthy overweight shape. I'm heavy because I've gained a lot of muscle mass by doing a few thousand pushups/month, working a full time construction job, doing some other exercise, and eating ~8 times a day all work week long - less on weekends when I sleep in.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 4:02 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Weight makes a difference if you bump into someone while running or biking :twisted: Some heavy people are well aware of it and don't bother to slow down or swerve in crowded places, letting instead everyone else worry about not accidentally standing in their way.

What is considered a "good" fraction of body fat? There's no question I need to lose weight, but I don't exactly want to burn all my fat. I've seen some photos of what several percentages look like, and I'd rather not make my blood vessels protrude through my skin. Also, being quite resistant to the cold is nice, and the last thing I need is to find out I can't swim anymore when I most need it, because I'm not buoyant enough.

For a man certain body fat percentages are associated with increased risk of various diseases. It's hard to gauge body fat percentage without the proper tools. Calipers, or going to places where you pay to get it analyzed are the best methods.

I'd have to know your BMI, the kinds of physical activity you engage in, and how often you engage in those activities to know if you are likely to be at risk because of your excess fat.

Eating habits and family history also play an important role.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 4:04 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I'm heavier than all those figures, and I usually walk at the fastest pace I can keep, but I don't seriously consider running as a way to exercise, because I think someone as fat and as obviously clueless and untrained as me looks ridiculous and pathetically lame doing it.

The only problem I see here is that you care what other people think. Work on changing that and it'll be easier to work on changing everything else.

Sure, when I see someone who's horribly out of shape going for a job it may cross my mind that "Hey, that person is in terrible shape.. obviously not exactly a health and fitness buff." But you know what else I think? "Wow, look at that person go! It's a start and that's what counts. Good on them for getting outside and moving. 8) " And you know which of those thoughts, or others about you, affect your ability to do whatever you want to in terms of exercise? (or anything?) None of them!

Be like Jack or Anthony:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 4:28 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

I'm aware that I'm tall-ish and big-ish at 6'2" (barefoot-scalp, so appear taller in shoes + hair) & being 206.5lbs (naked) and I do tend to do my best to avoid people when out for a jog. I've never run into anyone. It's not crowded around here. If there's someone on the sidewalk I can easily dip around them on the boulevard, a front lawn, or the road.

I don't really think of myself as very big, though.. but in general I think others' perceptions of me are that I'm bigger and stronger and "scarier" or more intimidating than I think I am - as people tend to clear out of the way to let me pass lol. It's kind of ironic sometimes.. people speeding up their walking pace or moving out of the way as if I'm someone to be feared. OK, I get it, I'm tall/fit, have a long beard, and am typically dressed in a ratty black rain suit from head to toe on my way home from work.. but I'm the furthest thing from some thug mugger. Little do these people realize I'm far more likely to be their protector than the 0% chance I'd be their attacker.

I think I'm at a pretty good bf% at 11.5%, but do want to be sub 10% over the Summer - mostly for aesthetics - if I'm going to work, train and eat, as hard and disciplined as I do, then I'm also going to look good on the beach this Summer. I have heard that one shouldn't stay under 10% for sustained periods.. that that's only acceptable for competition purposes. (bodybuilding, sports etc) However, some people are naturally lean and will never ever be at 10% or above - so they're just rough guidelines. Sub 10%, for most people, is VERY lean. The average american male is significantly higher these days, so sub 10% may be frowned upon as too thin, or only for elite athletes - I don't know what the modern obese culture's take is on it.. and I also don't care. They can justify their body composition & laziness all they want, just as I'm free to get ripped all I want.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 4:31 pm

Yigeren wrote:
For a man certain body fat percentages are associated with increased risk of various diseases. It's hard to gauge body fat percentage without the proper tools. Calipers, or going to places where you pay to get it analyzed are the best methods.

I'd have to know your BMI, the kinds of physical activity you engage in, and how often you engage in those activities to know if you are likely to be at risk because of your excess fat.

Eating habits and family history also play an important role.

All true.

Disclaimer: 11.5%bf as measured by an electronic scale at home, not via callipers or fancy medically accurate methods. But for my purposes, the accuracy is close enough.