Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 7 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Kate Bush, Get Out of My House, from the lp 'The Dreaming,' 1982.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Oct 2017, 4:24 am

I like a variety of music that includes Comedy, EMO & Celtic. Other stuff I like is more popular like pop, classic rock, glam rock, soft rock, punk, country, & contemporary R&B

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

I don't think I have an unusual taste in music, I think I just cast a broader net and enjoy more things. I can listen to pop songs and classic rock on the radio and enjoy them, but I've also always been attracted to musicians who are strange or are coming up with different sounds. I loved Frank Zappa's music since I was a teenager. I also get a lot of enjoyment from discovering old musical relics that are relatively unknown. One of my favorite albums is Doris - Did you Give the World Some Love Today, which is so eclectic in it's scope and tone.

But there are so many people who only enjoy "their thing". I grew up with metal heads who would only listen to heavy metal, and it had to be pre-1995. Then you have music snobs who listen to classical and music with "deep", "poignant" lyrics, and would never sully themselves by admitting they enjoy a catchy pop song.

I think it's much more fun to just get rid of your biases and enjoy as many forms of music as possible!

Last edited by GoSensGo on 31 Oct 2017, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

I'm unusual in the sense that I go by how songs sound, rather than popularity. That's why I listen to songs from before 1970 and current music--I don't care when a song is from as long as it has that rock sound.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
I'm unusual in the sense that I go by how songs sound, rather than popularity. That's why I listen to songs from before 1970 and current music--I don't care when a song is from as long as it has that rock sound.

In a lot of circles I don't think that that is unusual. Most people I have known don't listen to music because it is popular.

IsthmusWithTrolleybuses
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2017, 6:32 am

Most things I like are hard to get your hands on these days—or at least decent masterings are. So I guess more and more stuff would be considered unusual. Most of it's from either the '70s/'80s (the sort of thing not suited to the commercial radio stations of the time, nor now), or a handful of indie acts from the last few years (a.P.A.t.T., Major Parkinson, Pleasure Complex). Generally art-rock/punky/proggy leanings.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 10:46 pm

Hmmm...

I like a whole bunch of genera of music but my favorites are Industrial Metal (Turmion Kätilöt! <333) and Crunk Core (Brokencyde, Hollywood Undead etc.) and I've actually begun to like rap quite a bit now. I'm not too keen on all the different genera of music there is out there so I probably like more than I think.

I also like a lot of chiptune music as well. And perhaps a bit of electropunk because of Mindless Self Indulgence. I also really liked the band, Lordi, back when I was younger. Listening to music from them now brings back so much nostalgia memories. Is this an unusual taste in music? Maybe, I don't know. I don't really keep track of what most listen today.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 5:46 pm

thewrll wrote:
Kiki1256 wrote:

In a lot of circles I don't think that that is unusual. Most people I have known don't listen to music because it is popular.

I agree!

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 2:27 am

Even if my taste is not unusual, I like to listen to only few bands and a few songs over and over again which is probably something unusual.

DocteurDEVO7

16 May 2018, 11:52 am

For sure, I'm into oldies and new wave. I'll just name off my favorite artists.
Billy Joel, Simon & Garfunkel, The Buggles, DEVO, They Might Be Giants.
It wouldn't be so weird if I was in my 40's maybe but I'm 19 so others my age find it "odd".

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 1:45 pm

Depends on how you define "unusual".