Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

miku
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2007, 8:07 pm

I'm extremely picky. I consider most music I've heard to be s**t. I don't want to hear a 1 4 5 chord progression I've heard a billion times strummed while a man sings about love and loss. It does nothing for me. I don't want to hear someone rap about "how we do it." I don't want to hear Madonna sing about how she likes material posessions or that she thinks words are useless and not fit for conveying meaning.

Here's a brief list of some of the artists I enjoy:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Mono
Explosions in the Sky
Igor Stravinsky
Ottorino Respighi
Claude Debussy
Pink Floyd
Phish
The Beatles (the later stuff, when they were doing drugs.. you don't know how often I run into people who say "i like the beatles, but only their earlier stuff" and want to punch them in the face for valuing sh***y pop over actual artistic expression)
Vivaldi
Gershwin
A Silver Mt. Zion
The Doors
Infected Mushroom
Bach
Chopin
Liszt
Philip Glass
Daft Punk (though it is a bit monotonous)
my own stuff

gybe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

^ you have a good taste. only band/artist I don't like is explosions in the sky.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 10:51 pm

skafather84 wrote:
you mean the old school 8 bit nintendo music?

Yes! Like Mario and Zelda!

Bixbeiderbecke

27 Apr 2007, 4:13 am

My favorite song must be heard on an original 45, on a tube amp..it really must be a tube amp..and especially in a good room....if after hearing it under those conditions and you still on't rank it in at the least...the top ten rock records of all time, Im confident you have no musical ear at all........have you ever heard of a record by Phil Spector called Be my Baby? Its sung by the lovely Veronica Bennett and tThe Ronettes. I love Phil's whole thing, the way he gets the record together. You take the world's greatest musicians....absolute jazz viruousos(i.e Howard Roberts, Barney Kessell,)and classically trained cats, and you have them playing quarter notes(simple stuff) or whatever.......and you can be sure as hell bet it's gonna swing like nothing ever swung before.....Hal Blaine's drumming on Be my Baby alone, could've gotten him to the rock hall of fame.....its the most swining hard rocking drum performance ive ever heard......and its not about what he plays , (spectacular fills, or paradidle de doodles and what have you) its about his style......the way he plays a simple backbeat, the swing in his step, the majestic swoop of his sticks........the arrngment is so wonderful , so elegant .....the wall of sound mixture so ,understated, and subtle, ..yet so heavenly...as opposed to somone like jeff lynne who i think is a tasteess over producer......if you listen to a cd or mp3 of the song you will hear a flat lifeless be my baby, on the other hand if you hear the 45 on the tube amp on a decent speaker you will hear one of the most dynamic, full, bass heavy, records of all time....before I heard the song on the tube amp I thought it was okay........but hearing it like this, it was a religous experience, the instumental clarity was breathtaking, and i didnt normally think of phil spectors wall of sound as having instrumental clarity, oh ....those saxophones droning behind on the chours in block chords, the ......the castanets, articualting the beat, i could sopomorically rhapsodize for hours......but im getting tired.......I also like freddy Chopin, Scott Johplin, Tin Pan Alley/Great American Songbook(not that rod stewart s**t, go back to singing hot legs you bastard),
Marilyn Manson, the Mamas and the papas, Mr bungle, and others but.....

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2007, 1:42 pm

i like best American patriotic songs... it is 95% what i listen to and im very intolereant of love songs. i also hate rap r+b and hiphop.

my favorites songs are Star Spangled Banner (played properly wothout all the extra notes.. one or 2 extra notes is tolerated though) God Bless America, This Land is your Land
God Bless the USA

miku
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2007, 2:19 am

gybe wrote:
^ you have a good taste. only band/artist I don't like is explosions in the sky.

Interesting how you can like GYBE and Mono but not EITS... If you'd told me there was one you didn't like but didn't say which one I probably would've guessed.. iono Philip Glass, or Infected Mushroom, or Daft Punk..

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 2:23 am

I love SID metal.

gybe

28 Apr 2007, 3:55 am

miku wrote:
gybe wrote:

Interesting how you can like GYBE and Mono but not EITS... If you'd told me there was one you didn't like but didn't say which one I probably would've guessed.. iono Philip Glass, or Infected Mushroom, or Daft Punk..

I like philp glass very much. Infected mushroom are decent but too many eheads that don't really like music would name drop them as the godfather's of electronic music.

What do you think of Klaus Schulze? Aquire the albums X and mirage if you haven't heard him. They're not very accessable, but I guess you have the patience.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 6:28 am

marshall wrote:
I've always preferred dark moody music compared to more upbeat stuff. This is true even when I’m in a good mood. I like a few upbeat songs, but I generally find cheery/silly pop music really annoying.

My favorites are Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai. Really intense, moody, spacey stuff. I just like to space out and let the music bring certain imagery to mind. While listening I can just stare at the clouds moving by and feel my spine tingling.

I think gybe and mogwai are great.

Pelican have not had a mention yet. These are good but i was disapointed with their latest album.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:04 am

My musical tastes are unusual in that they are all over the map. Though I have a great fondness for industrial, techno, EBM, synthpop stuff. And 1940's Big Band.

Some time ago I get into the elevator at work, listening to my MP3 player, and a friend of mine asked me what I was listening to. So I told her what was playing at the time: Marilyn Manson. She seemed surprised that I listen to Manson. Anyway, a few days later, same elevator, same friend, and she asked "More Marilyn Manson?". I replied "No... Mel Tormé". And she seemed *really* surprised that someone could listen to both Manson and Tormé.

So, my list of favourite music performers would include:
Front 242, Front Line Assembly, VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Assemblage 23, Covenant, Delerium, Devo, Gary Numan, Blondie, Elvis Costello, Republica, Men Without Hats, Talking Heads, Ultravox, The Art of Noise, Blue Man Group, David Bowie, The Dead Kennedys, The Sex Pistols, Electric Light Orchestra, Kraftwerk, Enya, Jean-Michel Jarre, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Philip Glass, Mozart...

(I'm not much of a Marilyn Manson fan, but I like some of the covers he's done of other songs. Particularly his version of "Tainted Love".)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:45 pm

Define "unusual".

My favorite music providers include Pink Floyd, Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Queensryche (except their first album - they were still finding their way then), Type O Negative, Chopin (especially the Polonaises - just something about solo piano, I guess), Alan Parsons Project, Stephen Lynch, Voltaire, and, of course, Weird Al Yankovic, the True King of Polka! :)

Is that "unusual"?

(Which, of course, reminds me of the tale of the man who went to see his doctor because he kept hearing "What's New Pussycat" in his head.

The doctor examined him, and announced, "You have Tom Jones Syndrome!"

"Is that a strange thing to have?"

"It's not unusual...")

blacktext
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2007, 10:58 pm

Possibly - if Flamenco, No Wave, Free Jazz, Bebop, Icelandic Rock, or Conscious Rap is considered unusual.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 4:32 pm

Flagg wrote:
I love SID metal.

sudden infant death?

how do they sing? is it just the sound of them decomposing in the cradle?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:05 pm

I like it fast and heavy, mostly death, speed, and thrash metal.

Chozodian_Warrior
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2007, 7:39 pm

Death metal, like the music in DMC3.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:00 pm

I think I've worked out one definition of unusual that applies to a lot of us. Many, many of us like a variety of musical styles such that others find it strange to know that one person would like those different things. How many people have we known who always seem to listen to the same musical style, all the time? I've never understood it. Every time I hear that bleeping, blaring south-of-the-border polka music blaring I am baffled anew. It all sounds the same! And so it is with a lot of styles.

I have also noticed that we really do have a lot of peole here who like musicians that seem unusual to like merely because we hardly find anyone else from day to day who likes what we like. Like. So it makes sense to ask, to find others who share our tastes. Y'see, if you're different from other people, and your music is different from their music, after a time you begin to wonder if there's a connection. You ask yourself if it's an Aspie thing.

This in answer to the brief dispute earlier about unusual musical tastes.