Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 6 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

miku
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2007, 2:19 am

gybe wrote:
^ you have a good taste. only band/artist I don't like is explosions in the sky.

Interesting how you can like GYBE and Mono but not EITS... If you'd told me there was one you didn't like but didn't say which one I probably would've guessed.. iono Philip Glass, or Infected Mushroom, or Daft Punk..

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 2:23 am

I love SID metal.

gybe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2007, 3:55 am

miku wrote:
gybe wrote:
^ you have a good taste. only band/artist I don't like is explosions in the sky.

Interesting how you can like GYBE and Mono but not EITS... If you'd told me there was one you didn't like but didn't say which one I probably would've guessed.. iono Philip Glass, or Infected Mushroom, or Daft Punk..

I like philp glass very much. Infected mushroom are decent but too many eheads that don't really like music would name drop them as the godfather's of electronic music.

What do you think of Klaus Schulze? Aquire the albums X and mirage if you haven't heard him. They're not very accessable, but I guess you have the patience.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 6:28 am

marshall wrote:
I've always preferred dark moody music compared to more upbeat stuff. This is true even when I’m in a good mood. I like a few upbeat songs, but I generally find cheery/silly pop music really annoying.

My favorites are Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai. Really intense, moody, spacey stuff. I just like to space out and let the music bring certain imagery to mind. While listening I can just stare at the clouds moving by and feel my spine tingling.

I think gybe and mogwai are great.

Pelican have not had a mention yet. These are good but i was disapointed with their latest album.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 9:04 am

My musical tastes are unusual in that they are all over the map. Though I have a great fondness for industrial, techno, EBM, synthpop stuff. And 1940's Big Band.

Some time ago I get into the elevator at work, listening to my MP3 player, and a friend of mine asked me what I was listening to. So I told her what was playing at the time: Marilyn Manson. She seemed surprised that I listen to Manson. Anyway, a few days later, same elevator, same friend, and she asked "More Marilyn Manson?". I replied "No... Mel Tormé". And she seemed *really* surprised that someone could listen to both Manson and Tormé.

So, my list of favourite music performers would include:
Front 242, Front Line Assembly, VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, Assemblage 23, Covenant, Delerium, Devo, Gary Numan, Blondie, Elvis Costello, Republica, Men Without Hats, Talking Heads, Ultravox, The Art of Noise, Blue Man Group, David Bowie, The Dead Kennedys, The Sex Pistols, Electric Light Orchestra, Kraftwerk, Enya, Jean-Michel Jarre, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Philip Glass, Mozart...

(I'm not much of a Marilyn Manson fan, but I like some of the covers he's done of other songs. Particularly his version of "Tainted Love".)

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:45 pm

Define "unusual".

My favorite music providers include Pink Floyd, Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Queensryche (except their first album - they were still finding their way then), Type O Negative, Chopin (especially the Polonaises - just something about solo piano, I guess), Alan Parsons Project, Stephen Lynch, Voltaire, and, of course, Weird Al Yankovic, the True King of Polka! :)

Is that "unusual"?

(Which, of course, reminds me of the tale of the man who went to see his doctor because he kept hearing "What's New Pussycat" in his head.

The doctor examined him, and announced, "You have Tom Jones Syndrome!"

"Is that a strange thing to have?"

"It's not unusual...")

blacktext
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2007, 10:58 pm

Possibly - if Flamenco, No Wave, Free Jazz, Bebop, Icelandic Rock, or Conscious Rap is considered unusual.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 4:32 pm

Flagg wrote:
I love SID metal.

sudden infant death?

how do they sing? is it just the sound of them decomposing in the cradle?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 5:05 pm

I like it fast and heavy, mostly death, speed, and thrash metal.

Chozodian_Warrior
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2007, 7:39 pm

Death metal, like the music in DMC3.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:00 pm

I think I've worked out one definition of unusual that applies to a lot of us. Many, many of us like a variety of musical styles such that others find it strange to know that one person would like those different things. How many people have we known who always seem to listen to the same musical style, all the time? I've never understood it. Every time I hear that bleeping, blaring south-of-the-border polka music blaring I am baffled anew. It all sounds the same! And so it is with a lot of styles.

I have also noticed that we really do have a lot of peole here who like musicians that seem unusual to like merely because we hardly find anyone else from day to day who likes what we like. Like. So it makes sense to ask, to find others who share our tastes. Y'see, if you're different from other people, and your music is different from their music, after a time you begin to wonder if there's a connection. You ask yourself if it's an Aspie thing.

This in answer to the brief dispute earlier about unusual musical tastes.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:54 pm

I think I do...seeing as most of the bands I like were made long before I was born

300series
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 1:45 pm

My taste in music is somewhat unusual. I like a lot of older music; I am not really fond of any new popular music. I collect a lot of old vinyl records, and I always buy a new one every Friday at a store that i like to visit.

I like a lot of classical music by composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Verdi, Grieg, Schubert, Corelli, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Handel, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, and Brahms.

Elton John & Michael Jackson are my favourite popular singers. I have almost every album they ever released. I went to see Elton John in concert with my mother when he came to San Diego back in the Summer of 1998, when I was 13 years old. My mother & I used to listen to both of them all the time when I was a child, and I knew every song by both of them.

My mother used to play a lot of other music too. We also used to listen to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Phil Collins, Genesis, Madonna, Pat Benetar, George Michael, Jethro Tull, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Barbra Streisand, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Robert Palmer, and Taco Ockerse. I still listen to all of them today. I think most of my musical preferences came from my mother; we also shared a lot of other tastes.

PatmanC2000
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

I tend to prefer pop, hip-hop, and metal over other genres.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

I don't have a very mainstream taste in music, after all I am a metalhead so I listen to tons of metal though my music taste is not limited to only metal there's other stuff I like to. I don't think its particularly unusual, but it could be to people who don't like metal or just listen to music for background noise but aren't really into it.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 7:55 pm

Rucks Rucka Ali, he is not PC in any sense.