Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2016, 7:54 am

It seems that to get anything achieved whether it be a chore or even hobby related that involves moving from the settee I have to throw myself at it almost psyche myself up like an athlete before hand or I can just sort of be and allow time to vanish with relative ease i do get depressed but this happens even when i'm in a good mood. Is this what nt folk call chilling out at the weekend ? or is this just being a lazy bum :?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 8:28 am

Sounds like procrastination is the problem. It's strongly linked with perfectionism, and may reflect a problem in the pre-frontal cortex. I regularly feel terrible because I don't just crack on with things until the conditions are just right. But I don't throw myself at anything or force myself to perform tasks. What usually happens is that as time goes by the fear of failing to meet a deadline becomes greater than the fear of performing the task. Either that, or I just find myself effortlessly making a start - when that happens, I find it hard to see what the reluctance was about.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 10:34 am

It's called "autistic inertia". There are some great articles about it by people on the spectrum if you Google it.

stevet

30 Jan 2016, 11:41 am

Thanks arielhawksquill nice to put a name to it and read an interesting page on it https://autisticality.wordpress.com/ seems funny how i've been living for over 40 years and never come across inertia but been living it :)