Page 7 of 11 [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you believe in reincarnation?
Strong "yes!" 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Strong "no!" 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
Eh, maybe it's possible... 45%  45%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 51

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 10:19 pm

Lol, just had a good joke hit me - summoning a priest or medium from heaven is probably a bit like a magician down here summoning a demon to get something done. Wonder if they get looked at funny for doing that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 5:10 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
dreammoods.com [until it self-destructed] and WP are my dream journals :study:

Really? There's an awful lot I wouldn't share on here, like.... almost anything people don't need to know about me. It seems like the only point of sharing something personal is if it's both a) new and useful and b) seems like it's something that's never been discussed or thought about by most of the people you run into.

nice WPers here have edumacated me about my dreams in terms of their meaning and likely intent. :study:

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2020, 5:00 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Another theory on reincarnation involves similar facial-features of past present lives. In geneological research, vintage photographs with similar facial features would be of strong interest.

Thank-you to the posters who shared deja-vu experiences. Very interesting theories in scientific contexts. Again, the late movie critic Roger Ebert offered perspectives in "The Quantum Theory of Reincarnation." (LINK)

LINK: https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/ ... ncarnation

Anybody investigate or post to the The Reincarnation Forum? http://reincarnationforum.com/

ADDENDUM to clarify the late Roger Ebert's report 'The Quantum Theory of Reincarnation' (LINK) to story 'Can Science Explain the Soul?'

EXCERPT from Ebert's 'The Quantum Theory of Reincarnation': In other words, if they ever find something smaller than the Planck length, then that will be the Planck length.

Wikipedia's reference to 'the Planck length' is difficult for many readers to grasp. See (LINK) 'Can Science Explain the Soul?'

LINK: https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/chopra/a ... 463078.php

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:57 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Just out of interest.

In Buddhism, the full moon is often symbolic as "enlightenment".
Enlightenment is to be the universe, unattached and free of the law of karmic retribution.

illumination is to merge with nirvana, God or the ultimate good-stuff made of pure goodness and truth.

Personally i believe in the possibility of reincarnation / God.
When i was 18, i did have a short lived (felt like a few seconds) out of the body experience,
which i assume was a type of astral projection into a place that was complete dazzling white light.

It took me years reading up on various religions to understand what had happened (or at least what this particular religion suggests what this type of phenomena / experience is).

Dzogchen Buddhism suggest that it was spontaneous arising experience of the true nature of the existence.
The true nature of existence is apparently God-stuff.

That is why i believe in the possibility of reincarnation, although i completely understand, if people have not experienced any such things during their life, why they would be more sceptical.

As an agnostic. i simply admit that i do not know as to whether God exists or not, and i simply admit that i do not know as to whether human beings have a soul that lives on after their physical body dies.

I simply do not know. Not knowing does not mean that either probable answer is true or untrue.
I simply do not know.

I have no problem with people holding their own opinions or even faiths that is different to my own perspective.
Especially if their opinion or belief does no harm to any other.

From a scientific perspective on the soul: Can Science Explain the Soul?
https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/chopra/a ... 463078.php

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 2:12 pm

Can anyone prove that they even have a soul?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:31 pm

Astral projection or literal out of body experiments count as possibility of a soul or something that beyond just the human body ..... this is not just my saying or writing this just offhand . Just of thought

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 9:42 pm

what is kirlian photography showing, if not a "soul" or "spirit"?

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 3:13 am

Whatever it's showing, it applies to virtually any object.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 3:23 am

what is really interesting is that in kirlian pics of amputated limbs and moth-eaten leaves, it shows the whole outline of the intact object whether leg or leaf.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 9:12 am

Best frame for my grasp of it, and I've said it earlier in the thread, Donald Hoffman and Chetan Prakash's theory of conscious agents and meshing their idea of the universe as a social network of conscious agents with Stephen Wolfram's idea of a hypergraph - it's as conscious as it is Darwinian. Around the other side of that you have people like Jake Stratton Kent, Josephine McCarthy, John Michael Greer, etc. doing what they do.

One of the challenges I've had in dealing with this content is the general solipsism of it. I can't remember what the precise term is, Joscha Bach was on The Jim Rutt show talking about what Dan Dennett's take on consciousness actually is outside of the popular ridicule of eliminative materialism and it's the idea that it's something more like a play with some actors on stage, a bunch in the audience, some getting praised, some getting booed off the stage - the term for that had something to do with phantoms but you get the idea. The thing about that though - if you then extend those phantoms or daemons out into all of nature, the stage, seats, auditorium, etc., everything being made of them it pretty much looks like panpsychism with a local Darwinian animist flavor.

Someone like Jason Reza Jorjani would extend that then to say that the implications would suggest that there's no physical world, for as much as I do find his writings interesting I'm not 100% sure what one gets from saying that, Hoffman when he's not making awkward virtual reality analogies (wish he'd scrap those - they're misleading) does suggest that all of this is very much unpacking from something real but which would look absolutely nothing like this and that it's been natural selection that's attuned us to specific fitness payouts that's hidden underlying reality from us. I'm more inclined to say that our senses are then creating a resource map that's very tightly twined to our frames and biological context of existence. From there you actually can say, right in line with Hoffman and Prakash's model, that you get functionalism as well as functionalism with multiple realizability - the former is the more popular view of consciousness in academia right now (at least in reference to neurological development), the later is a bit more controversial and gets the China Brain criticism but I think we're going to find out that the China Brain criticism actually turns out to be a valid and accurate prediction.

I don't offer the above as proof of anything, people mean different things by that and this is a topic where - by their rules generally - nuance and BS are the same thing. What I am saying is 'here's a lens that someone can try on, use or discard as they chose, which makes it relatively mundane, absolves needs for believer conspiracies or bad anthropology to it's continued existence, and even agrees that there's nothing special about consciousness but from its ubiquity'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 4:50 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Another theory on reincarnation involves similar facial-features of past present lives. In geneological research, vintage photographs with similar facial features would be of strong interest.

Thank-you to the posters who shared deja-vu experiences. Very interesting theories in scientific contexts. Again, the late movie critic Roger Ebert offered perspectives in "The Quantum Theory of Reincarnation." (LINK)

LINK: https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/ ... ncarnation

Anybody investigate or post to the The Reincarnation Forum? http://reincarnationforum.com/

On the above links - The late movie critic Roger Ebert wrote the 'Quantum Theory of Reincarnation' - Thoughtful, and understandable scientific perspectives on reincarnation.

'The Reincarnation Forum' has become the "go-to" resource on reincarnation - yet, surprisingly (as of this writing), the forum has very little in the way of discussions of Roger Ebert's quantum theory of reincarnation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 5:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what is kirlian photography showing, if not a "soul" or "spirit"?
The pattern of an artificially-induced electrical corona around a moist object; nothing more.

I used to make similar images with my Tesla coil and some photographic paper.  It was interesting, but it made some of my "photographic subjects" a little nervous.  Telling someone that you are going to connect a source of 100,000 volts to their bodies does tend to induce some anxiety, which also tends to induce sweaty palms (more on that later).

In 1939, Semyon Kirlian (1898-1978) discovered by accident that if an object on a photographic plate is subjected to a high-voltage electric field, an image is created on the plate. The image looks like a colored halo or coronal discharge.  What is recorded is due to natural phenomena such as pressure, electrical grounding, humidity and temperature.  Barometric pressure, temperature of the photographic paper, voltage (and its frequency), among other things, will produce different coronal patterns.  Changes in moisture (which may reflect changes in emotions) will also change the pattern of an object, and living things (especially the hands of nervous test subjects) are moist.

When the electricity enters the living object, it produces an area of gas ionization around the photographed object, assuming moisture is present on the object.  This moisture is transferred from the subject to the emulsion surface of the photographic film and causes an alternation of the electric charge pattern on the film.

Note that if a photograph is taken in a dry vacuum, where no moisture or ionized gas is present, no Kirlian image appears.  If the Kirlian image is due to some paranormal/fundamental/living energy field, it should not disappear in a simple vacuum (Hines 2003).

There have even been claims of electrophotography being able to capture "phantom limbs", such as when a leaf is placed on the plate and then torn in half and "photographed" the whole leaf shows up in the picture.  This is not due to paranormal forces, however, but to fraud or to residues left from the initial impression of the whole leaf.

Kirlian Photography is easily explained and demonstrated without any need to include any alleged "Supernatural Forces".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 6:54 pm

There are many arguments against reincarnation...... would like to see some arguments that make sense of reincarnation ...... beside the basic Buddhist point of veiw , had heard of something called the “bridey Murphy “case.
Or even some existence beyond the grave of something , ENERGY, of some kind . entity or whatever .?
Maybe , I am just trying to validate beyond myself of A very old out body experience , I once had .?

Concern the Bridey Murphy case ?
Am not aware if that was ever debunked . It is a very old case supporting reincarnation . Concerning a younger American girl. And her detailed recollections of a life of a woman in England , that was able to be documented .

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 7:54 pm

Jakki wrote:
... Concern the Bridey Murphy case ?
Am not aware if that was ever debunked . It is a very old case supporting reincarnation . Concerning a younger American girl. And her detailed recollections of a life of a woman in England , that was able to be documented .
It has been thoroughly debunked.

In 1952, Virginia Tighe (1923–1995) of Pueblo, Colorado, was hypnotized by local businessman Morey Bernstein.  Allegedly, Virginia spoke in an Irish brogue and claimed she was Bridey Murphy, a 19th-century woman from Cork, Ireland.

Newspapers sent reporters to Ireland to investigate.  Was there a red-headed Bridey Murphy who lived in Ireland in the nineteenth century?  No records were found that matched Tighe's claims for Bridey's birth, upbringing, marriage, or death.

However, one Bridie Murphey Corkell (1892–1957) lived in Wisconsin in the 20th century in the house across the street from where Virginia Tighe grew up.  Their lives overlapped by 34 years!  What Virginia reported while hypnotized were memories from her early childhood, not memories of a previous life.  Whatever else the hypnotic state is, it is a state where one's fantasies are energetically displayed.

While many people were impressed with the details of Tighe's hypnotic memories, the details were not evidence of past life regression, reincarnation, or channeling.  They were evidence of a vivid imagination, a confused memory, fraud, or a combination of the three.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 8:19 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
... Proponents of reincarnation believe deja-vu like memories may sometimes be related to possible past lives.
It is much more likely that the déjà vu feeling is triggered by a neurochemical action in the brain that is not connected to any actual experience in the past.  One simply feels "strange" and then identifies the feeling with a memory, even though the experience is completely new.

In the déjà vu experience, we feel strange because we do not think we should feel familiar with the present perception.  That sense of inappropriateness is not present when one is simply unclear whether one has read a book or seen a film before.

Thus, it is possible that the attempt to explain the déjà vu experience in terms of lost memory, past lives, clairvoyance, and so on may be completely misguided.  We should be talking about déjà vu as a mere feeling, which may be caused by a brain state, by neurochemical factors during perception that have nothing to do with memory.

It is worth noting that the déjà vu feeling is common among psychiatric patients, and also frequently precedes temporal lobe epilepsy attacks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 8:24 pm

Jakki wrote:
... the case of "Bridy Murphy" famous reincarnation was heavily verified...
... as a fraud.
Jakki wrote:
A step deeper into this if dendrite and axioms use minute electrical impulses to operate in the brain those same impulse make up the basis for energy, that is measureable, using spect scans. Then possibly that energy goes somewhere in some format?
The electrical impulses are disipated as degenrate waste heat; nothing more.
Jakki wrote:
A step further maybe if Aspies have a higher density of neural connectivity in there brains. Perhaps the aspie brain could be responsible for a higher amount of this same kind of energy?
That could only explain why some aspies seem to sweat more than others.