Page 6 of 10 [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next


Do you believe in reincarnation?
Strong "yes!" 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Strong "no!" 42%  42%  [ 20 ]
Eh, maybe it's possible... 48%  48%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 48

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,546
Location: Stendec

01 Oct 2020, 1:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
A question keeps nagging at me ... Why is it than whenever I converse with an allegedly reincarnated person, he or she was always someone famous from the past?

Not one of them has ever claimed to have been an ordinary person, or even a member of the "underbelly of society".  Instead, they all claim to have been royalty or some other notable historical personage of the upper classes from our history books.

Among others, I've met three Marie Antoinettes, two Napoleon Bonaparts, and a half-dozen men and women who claimed to have been Joan of Arc in a past life.  No one ever claims to have been a peasant, a serf, or a common merchant or tradesperson.  They all want to be reincarnated historical figures of great fame and influence!

Why is that, I wonder?
Bumped from earlier in this thread (e.g., 2016-02-02).


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

01 Oct 2020, 2:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bumped from earlier in this thread (e.g., 2016-02-02).

I'll have to remember I can do that next time I feel like I made a killer point that got brushed aside or ignored.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,945
Location: Outter Quadrant

01 Oct 2020, 4:53 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Just to add another facet to the topic of reincarnation: Has anybody experienced deja-vu like memories of times and places never visited in present life?

Proponents of reincarnation believe deja-vu like memories may sometimes be related to possible past lives.

Deya ju moment . Seeing thing happen that you have seen or been it before ? Did this as a child . Only once very vividly ...... am sure of it , but have always wondered if intervening in the moment create some kinda bad juju .
But was in a more immediate moment or the very next few moments . Not something distant , had very few of those types of deja vu . But is quite a curiosity to make the comparison.


_________________
Female
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
whereever you go ,there you are


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,546
Location: Stendec

01 Oct 2020, 4:58 pm

One of the things that put me off from 'psychics' is that none of them could agree on what my circumstances were in my (allegedly) most recent previous life.  They could not agree on my economic or social status, my gender, how I died, or even my species.


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,945
Location: Outter Quadrant

01 Oct 2020, 5:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
One of the things that put me off from 'psychics' is that none of them could agree on what my circumstances were in my (allegedly) most recent previous life.  They could not agree on my economic or social status, my gender, how I died, or even my species.



Lololololzzzz


_________________
Female
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
whereever you go ,there you are


JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,151
Location: California

01 Oct 2020, 6:32 pm

Jakki wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Just to add another facet to the topic of reincarnation: Has anybody experienced deja-vu like memories of times and places never visited in present life?

Proponents of reincarnation believe deja-vu like memories may sometimes be related to possible past lives.

Deya ju moment . Seeing thing happen that you have seen or been it before ? Did this as a child . Only once very vividly ...... am sure of it , but have always wondered if intervening in the moment create some kinda bad juju .
But was in a more immediate moment or the very next few moments . Not something distant , had very few of those types of deja vu . But is quite a curiosity to make the comparison.


Regarding reincarnation studies e.g., Dr Ian Stevenson's findings, there is much interest on cases involving possible past-life memories of children (memories are supposedly strongest before age nine, and greatly diminish afterwards).

Both studies, and personal experiences regarding reincarnation are out of conjecture, and are best treated as inconclusive in context.

Personally, I feel I've experienced a few strong deja-vu memories of interest as a child. Another area I've considered are long-term memory abilities e.g, memories from decades-old common with the Autism Spectrum.

So far, I only remember bits and pieces i.e., possible place, time periods, and even first-names are of interest. I'm conducting geneological research with the bits & pieces of memories, and have found some results of interest - again, very inconclusive.



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

01 Oct 2020, 7:05 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Personally, I feel I've experienced a few strong deja-vu memories of interest as a child. Another area I've considered are long-term memory abilities e.g, memories from decades-old common with the Autism Spectrum.

I can't say I've had convincing deja-vu memories but I did have dreams, particularly interesting when certain elements were way off the normal velocity scope (dreams tend to be pressed into a sort of same-ish brick) and one of those items that was really attention-getting shows up in my life a few months later, especially interesting when it was something I'd never seen or heard before. What's the actual size of the numerator and denominator for the statistical probability of those things happening? Hard to say but when you get multi-layered information about something that hasn't happened yet and there are at least a few touchpoints of novelty wrapped up in whatever it is - the odds of sheer chance plummet low enough that you have to take seriously the possibility that you not only saw what you saw but that it does carry the implications that you might think it does.

My best guess on how that could work is that Minkowski space is real and that we do live in a block universe. I'd also add that I'm a pretty strict determinist so that puts the whole apparatus of space and time into something where I can expect to see both the expected and otherwise unexpected if I take seriously that it's not only a block universe but a relatively conscious block universe.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,219
Location: the island of defective toy santas

01 Oct 2020, 10:49 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Just to add another facet to the topic of reincarnation: Has anybody experienced deja-vu like memories of times and places never visited in present life? Proponents of reincarnation believe deja-vu like memories may sometimes be related to possible past lives.

occasional bits of psychometry visit me at unpredictable times. i was in an antique shop a decade or so back, in the 00s sometime, i handled an antique mens shaving set, and suddenly i had a vision of looking out a bathroom window overlooking a verdant lawn and english garden with some trees in the background, the bathroom was immaculate white, i felt like i was a different person in that vision. i am wondering if that set belonged to me in a previous lifetime. i have had dreams where i was a prisoner in some latin country, in the early 1800s, i saw my reflection in window glass in a prison administration building, there was a garden in front of the building in which i toiled. i looked down at my hands and they were grimy and with many cuts and scars. my striped uniform was grimy with unpatched holes and tears. i was hot and thirsty and tired and dimly aware of my situation. then in another dream it was the opposite, i was a tall, athletic blond playboy who was wealthy, i had a "girl in every port" and was a royal cad. one girl i fell for and she wanted nothing to do with me, and in a fit of pique i jumped overboard my yacht, and drowned. in another dream i was in a lower rung of heaven, in a bureaucratic warren of offices with wall-sized computer displays that displayed life and situations on earth and countless other worlds, i was directed to see my home planet earth, where it was pointed out to me on a display of the earth, where i had my previous incarnations including one as a native american in an area which today is south dakota, which i later found out to be a lakota tribe member.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,546
Location: Stendec

02 Oct 2020, 8:24 am

auntblabby wrote:
Occasional bits of psychometry visit me at unpredictable times.  I was in an antique shop a decade or so back, in the 00s sometime, I handled an antique men’s shaving set, and suddenly I had a vision of looking out a bathroom window overlooking a verdant lawn and English garden with some trees in the background, the bathroom was immaculate white, I felt like I was a different person in that vision.  I am wondering if that set belonged to me in a previous lifetime.

I have had dreams where I was a prisoner in some Latin country, in the early 1800s, I saw my reflection in window glass in a prison administration building, there was a garden in front of the building in which I toiled.  I looked down at my hands and they were grimy and with many cuts and scars.  My striped uniform was grimy with unpatched holes and tears.  I was hot and thirsty and tired and dimly aware of my situation.

Then in another dream it was the opposite, I was a tall, athletic blond playboy who was wealthy, I had a "girl in every port" and was a royal cad.  One girl I fell for and she wanted nothing to do with me, and in a fit of pique I jumped overboard my yacht and drowned.

In another dream I was in a lower rung of heaven, in a bureaucratic warren of offices with wall-sized computer displays that displayed life and situations on Earth and countless other worlds, I was directed to see my home planet Earth, where it was pointed out to me on a display of the Earth, where I had my previous incarnations including one as a native American in an area which today is South Dakota, which I later found out to be a Lakota tribe member.
Interesting ... I had a recent dream in which I was falling through a maelstrom and suddenly found myself in a military-style uniform on the bridge of a space vessel in orbit around a green-blue planet below.  The other people seemed to be waiting for me to speak.  The person whose body I was in said something like, "Commence bombardment", and the planet below began to show bright flashes of light here and there until they all merged and the planet was fully engulfed in flames.

Then I woke up.

Weird, huh?


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

02 Oct 2020, 9:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
...in another dream i was in a lower rung of heaven, in a bureaucratic warren of offices with wall-sized computer displays that displayed life and situations on earth and countless other worlds, i was directed to see my home planet earth, where it was pointed out to me on a display of the earth, where i had my previous incarnations including one as a native american in an area which today is south dakota, which i later found out to be a lakota tribe member.

One thing you really might want to do is keep a dream diary. Just grab a simple notebook and keep it next to your bed. Typically as you do that you're memory for them in the morning gets better and you'll often remember about three or distinct story lines that would suggest three or four dreams.

I say all of that because it's a good way of grappling with what dreams are or aren't, what they can or can't tell you, or what kinds of 'tells' you might have in a dream that would indicate that there's a message in it that you're supposed to pay attention to and do something with rather than it just being a kaleidoscope of unusual activities on an equally shifty landscape that seem completely orthogonal to your daily life.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,546
Location: Stendec

02 Oct 2020, 9:48 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One thing you really might want to do is keep a dream diary...
I tried that once.  The first entry read, "Hugglebunnyburgers Lucas, I'll sniff the brandy."


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

02 Oct 2020, 9:51 am

Fnord wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One thing you really might want to do is keep a dream diary...
I tried that once.  The first entry read, "Hugglebunnyburgers Lucas, I'll sniff the brandy."

TY for sharing.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,151
Location: California

02 Oct 2020, 3:36 pm

Another theory on reincarnation involves similar facial-features of past present lives. In geneological research, vintage photographs with similar facial features would be of strong interest.

Thank-you to the posters who shared deja-vu experiences. Very interesting theories in scientific contexts. Again, the late movie critic Roger Ebert offered perspectives in "The Quantum Theory of Reincarnation." (LINK)

LINK: https://www.rogerebert.com/roger-ebert/ ... ncarnation

Anybody investigate or post to the The Reincarnation Forum? http://reincarnationforum.com/



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,219
Location: the island of defective toy santas

03 Oct 2020, 12:32 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
...in another dream i was in a lower rung of heaven, in a bureaucratic warren of offices with wall-sized computer displays that displayed life and situations on earth and countless other worlds, i was directed to see my home planet earth, where it was pointed out to me on a display of the earth, where i had my previous incarnations including one as a native american in an area which today is south dakota, which i later found out to be a lakota tribe member.

One thing you really might want to do is keep a dream diary. Just grab a simple notebook and keep it next to your bed. Typically as you do that you're memory for them in the morning gets better and you'll often remember about three or distinct story lines that would suggest three or four dreams. I say all of that because it's a good way of grappling with what dreams are or aren't, what they can or can't tell you, or what kinds of 'tells' you might have in a dream that would indicate that there's a message in it that you're supposed to pay attention to and do something with rather than it just being a kaleidoscope of unusual activities on an equally shifty landscape that seem completely orthogonal to your daily life.

dreammoods.com [until it self-destructed] and WP are my dream journals :study:



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

03 Oct 2020, 8:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
dreammoods.com [until it self-destructed] and WP are my dream journals :study:

Really? There's an awful lot I wouldn't share on here, like.... almost anything people don't need to know about me. It seems like the only point of sharing something personal is if it's both a) new and useful and b) seems like it's something that's never been discussed or thought about by most of the people you run into.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,338
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

03 Oct 2020, 12:01 pm

One of the heavier interviews Trishia's had in a while. Very active guy it sounds like and it's interesting to see someone map out what happens when people die in particularly traumatic situations and what he's then called to step in and do to help.

It makes me think of Alfred North Whitehead's process philosophy where the whole system we're in has a lot of incomplete infrastructure and where, much like in our media, corporate and institutional layers we're missing meso and meta-layers for cross communication and regulation (thinking of our current cultural meltdowns right now with social media, institutional bribery, etc.) it looks like there's a significant gap between physical spaces and whatever's the next wrung up, and it sounds like the next wrung up isn't equipped to do search and rescue, would need to send requests downward, which suggests another meso layer that has yet to be built in that gap.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling