Do you think there is a correlation between AS and atheism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 9:20 pm

I think there is since people with AS are less likely to succumb to social/parental pressures and just blatantly believe what ever their friends/family believe.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 9:26 pm

Nah. Just that Atheism has a correlation with higher than lower than average IQ.

On a sidenote, are you really still 12 after all this time?

zeertheseer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2016, 9:29 pm

Not exactly, I am AS and I am Christian, I have looked at it from an extremely logical AND scientific standpoint. and while I don't know others reasons for being athiest then the usual, you have no proof of god theory. I have no way of knowing

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
Nah. Just that Atheism has a correlation with higher than lower than average IQ.

On a sidenote, are you really still 12 after all this time?

No, I turned 13 a few days ago.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 9:37 pm

zeertheseer wrote:
Not exactly, I am AS and I am Christian, I have looked at it from an extremely logical AND scientific standpoint. and while I don't know others reasons for being athiest then the usual, you have no proof of god theory. I have no way of knowing

That is not why I am an atheist. Atheism is the belief that no deities exist, it is just a belief. Religion is the belief in a (a few) deity/deities. It is not about knowing, it is about believing. Of course I don't know if an omnipotent being exists or not, but I believe no such being exists. That is why I hate the term agnostic, no one truly knows if supernatural beings exist.

May you please tell me why you think the existence of a god is logical?

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 10:03 pm

There may be a correlation simply because people who have higher IQs tend to not believe in god(s), and often, Aspies do have a higher than average IQ. Correlation doesn't imply causation, though. Bear in mind I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence based on their beliefs (or lack thereof).

I started a poll: How Religious Are You?. The WP community compared with the rest of the population might give you an answer.

Last edited by Ishi2 on 31 Jan 2016, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm

Just remember that Correlation does not imply Causation.

One may be found with the other, but that does not mean that one causes the other.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

I don't know.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:48 am

http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/proceedings/2011/papers/0782/paper0782.pdf

Interestingly, the autistic population for this study came from Wrong Planet.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:59 am

Ishi2 wrote:
There may be a correlation simply because people who have higher IQs tend to not believe in god(s), and often, Aspies do have a higher than average IQ. Correlation doesn't imply causation, though. Bear in mind I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence based on their beliefs (or lack thereof).

I started a poll: How Religious Are You?. The WP community compared with the rest of the population might give you an answer.

Is that true that Aspies have a higher IQ than NT's? Because I very much believe there is a correlation between AS and Atheism. I think it's because of the logic factor. I've never seen so many Atheists in my life. I knew of no Atheists until I went onto the Aspie websites.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

The question of atheism is getting legitimately more blurry to me these days. I get that a lot of people mean reductive materialism and when pushed on that point they'd ask in return - what other kind is there? There seem to be a lot of mystic philosophies, both eastern and western, that are metaphysically atheistic or are possibly pantheistic/panentheistiic teetering on the edge of atheism, without exposure those concepts might not make a lot of sense but they're out and around and have their own degree of integrity.

So narrowing that down - if you mean atheists in general, I don't know and I doubt that counting the most verbal will really give you an answer (this happens to be an autistic site that has people of all stripes but if you go to NT sites on religious, political, metaphysical topics you'll see the same dynamics).

As for antitheists there's some trouble you'll run into there as well in defining terms. Not every antitheist is a reductive materialist or necessarily even an atheist. The claims of 'there is no God' and 'Violent mind-numbing dogmas have to go!' can be side by side claims but it can be equally interesting to see just how often they aren't.

Whatever the beliefs I think you'll find at least a lot more erudition on the big issues with aspies. After all a lot of us have time on our hands, things to gouge us in life and force us to ask ourselves harder questions than a lot of people not in our situation might not have the same drive toward.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

There seems to be, I would consider myself agnostic. Atheism is too much of a belief one way or the other, there are some thing you can't know and there is no point investing in blind faith. I wouldn't call any of my brother's believers either tho so I do think part of it is how we were raised too. My parents are kind of lapsed Christians, it was never anything in our life and we heard more criticism of the church and the bad things they did than we did good. The church my family mostly belonged to is WELS which are basically like fundamentalist Lutherans, extreme without like any of the ceremony or ritual so really really boring. WELS believes it is the one true Christian church, that it is a continuation of the original church and that the Catholic Church is the Anti-Christ.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Is that true that Aspies have a higher IQ than NT's? Because I very much believe there is a correlation between AS and Atheism. I think it's because of the logic factor. I've never seen so many Atheists in my life. I knew of no Atheists until I went onto the Aspie websites.

You get your fair share of rule based theists. Social conservative. Some people also like the idea of being in an organisation.

Everybody has some cognitive dissidence.

I think your experience is probably more to do with the general demography where you live.

The demographic here is more across the word. The western world is more secular and less religious. except in pockets.

It is not so much the logic capability but the application of that in deductive reasoning and critical thinking that would lead to people questioning what they have been told.

If someone tells you they are logical they probably aren't as logical as they think. A truly analytical person knows there is always another level of deduction to made, definite answers are few and far between. However part of the skill is separating the wheat from that chaff.

As a hypothesis for creation (abiogenesis) you would never start with these doctrines. To explain how historic humans might interpret thing they don't understand and organaises those societies, that doctrine fits in. it is also a power structure that predates modern democracies. My theory on early Christianity is it was political movement, rather than a religious one.

The flaw of equating ASD to Atheism, is you don't have to be on the spectrum to be an Atheist. Some groups try to use ASD to discredit Athiesim. Such as a creationist from Turkey.

However there is some science behind the neurology of belief. Magical thinking is more associated with schizotypal spectrum. This is not abnormal however. These are ordinary folk in the population, rather than clinically significant.

On the extreme end of hyper-Analytical you don't get this kind of thinking. However schizotypal and ASD can intercept as can many thing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:37 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Ishi2 wrote:

Well - aspies probably are "smarter than average", but for a totally "stupid" reason:for the same reason that bachelors "tend" to be single.

Part of the definition of "a person with aspergers" is "having an IQ of 70, or above" (lower than the cutoff they class you as "low functioning autistic").

So when you compare aspies (with the low end of the bell curve lopped off by definition) with the general population (the average of the whole bell curve -low to high end) aspies are going to be skewed slightly upward in average IQ as a group.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:48 pm

Probably not. Nor with 'intelligence'.

I think an intelligent (a)theist just has better rationalisations for their belief.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

Absolutely not. That's a matter of mixing morality with intellect, as far as I've seen.