Does anyone ever feel like Data or Spock from Star Trek?

Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2016, 11:18 pm

I feel like Seven of Nine sometimes. She struggles with her humanity.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 11:32 pm

Not Data. Maybe Spock. Spock is logical, but actually possesses some emotions, although he does try to keep them from affecting him at all.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 11:58 pm

Used to think I was Vulcan ...
then I saw Q,
and it was like looking at myself in a mirror.

I immediately understood
Q's strengths, weaknesses, motivations.

So saying, here is a photo of me as my natural Q self:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 12:22 am

Spock, Data, and Seven are the three great originals of Star Trek. Ship captains have been stock characters for 3000 years, but these three are creations of original genius. Seven had some of the best ST lines of all.

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:16 am

To me Data was always the one most avidly trying to be more like an average person. Always trying to understand conceptual things like metaphors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:01 am

I wish I was as smart as Spock.

The human side of Spock sometimes revealed itself, and made him seem complex.

He is a consummately useful being.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:28 am

EzraS wrote:
To me Data was always the one most avidly trying to be more like an average person. Always trying to understand conceptual things like metaphors.

Yeah. He wanted to be "human". I could relate to that. Spock kind of had the opposite goal, so I could never relate to him as much. Probably part of the reason I prefer TNG.

DS9 is still the best though! And it doesn't really even have one of these characters. Huh.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:39 am

I used to identify strongly with Spock. When the crew took the mickey out of him and he couldn't understand why they were trying to insult him, I was on his side. I firmly agreed with his decision not to bury their dead when they were stranded on a dangerous planet and every second was needed to ensure they escaped. I felt that Bones was way out of line in constantly getting angry about Spock's logical behaviour.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I used to identify strongly with Spock. When the crew took the mickey out of him and he couldn't understand why they were trying to insult him, I was on his side. I firmly agreed with his decision not to bury their dead when they were stranded on a dangerous planet and every second was needed to ensure they escaped. I felt that Bones was way out of line in constantly getting angry about Spock's logical behaviour.

That sort of interaction between the three is what makes the whole show work, though.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

<--- "Spock here."

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 11:36 am

I'm more like Spock or Seven than Data.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

Spock when I am just humming along blissfully.

Data when I trip myself up and wonder if I miscalculated (I even cock my head slightly in consideration, like he does).

But, Spock doesn't verbally download like Data does. So, Data in that respect, too.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2016, 1:04 pm

As a kid, I used to equate heavily to Spock to the point of idolizing him. Mork from Ork was another emotionless character from my child hood that I envied for being emotionless.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:14 pm

I feel like Spock. I even got a bunch of tattoos to symbolize my Vulcanness. I love their religion, which emphasizes logic over emotion. That's me all the way. I also long to be "human" and can sort of understand NTs but fall short. I think Spock is half Vulcan/half human so I identify with him--so close yet so far away.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

I could identify with aspects, but none as a fully developed character.
In chronological order:
1) Spock the logic and the desire not to be bothered with things that he deemed unworthy (Special interests and logic)
2) Data with the desire to be what the rest of the crew were. Organic and able to function socially.
3) 7 of 9 because what she was was not of her making and her trying to make sense of it all

And, none of them because no matter what, they were able to still function in ways I cannot.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2016, 4:14 pm

I've associated myself with a lot of Star Trek characters, though it's usually dependent upon my current mood, which is to say that the feeling of association is constantly shifting.

Data and Spock? Nope, I've almost never felt like them, at least not when I first started watching the show.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)