Does anyone ever feel like Data or Spock from Star Trek?

Page 8 of 9 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2016, 8:24 am

zkydz wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
^ I too thought B5 was an excellent show.
Did you see the episode where 5 billion years passed and the last human was observing the history banks as the sun was about to go kaflooey?
Sorry, I forgot about this. Yes, I've seen it; I've seen every episode at least twice (when they aired and when I checked the DVD), and some I have watched over and over and over. It was a very interesting episode, it was exciting to see how the history continued and how it was seen in future times, the debates that would come up later.

The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" - Aldo Leopold

“When the green hills are covered with talking wires and the wolves no longer sing, what good will the money you paid for our land be then”
― Chief Seattle

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:34 am

Skilpadde wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
^ I too thought B5 was an excellent show.
Did you see the episode where 5 billion years passed and the last human was observing the history banks as the sun was about to go kaflooey?
Sorry, I forgot about this. Yes, I've seen it; I've seen every episode at least twice (when they aired and when I checked the DVD), and some I have watched over and over and over. It was a very interesting episode, it was exciting to see how the history continued and how it was seen in future times, the debates that would come up later.
They had good writers on the show. My favorite TV quote came from that show.

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life *were* fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It was the first show that showed what space combat would most likely be like. No spitfires in space; worked with Newtonian physics in their 'space choreography.'

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2016, 1:29 pm

^ I actually had a note book with lots of quotes from the show at one point, because there were so may I liked. They did have good writers indeed.

Did you ever read any of the books in the series? I did, and while they aren't all equally good, the good ones were really good IMO.

The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" - Aldo Leopold

“When the green hills are covered with talking wires and the wolves no longer sing, what good will the money you paid for our land be then”
― Chief Seattle

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 1:39 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^ I actually had a note book with lots of quotes from the show at one point, because there were so may I liked. They did have good writers indeed.

Did you ever read any of the books in the series? I did, and while they aren't all equally good, the good ones were really good IMO.

I never read the books themselves. I don't read much fiction. I did read the comic series though as it was designed to compliment the show and fill in gaps.

For instance, when Talia Winters got her conditioning accidentally broken early and it turned out she was a sleeper agent for the Shadows, it was foreshadowed in the comic.

You should go to the IMDB page and read the quotes there. There are some gems. Especially from Marcus.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 1:42 pm

What's the IMDB page?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 1:49 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/

Quotes from Marcus:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0012583/quotes

Fun ones like this one:
"Babylon 5: Ceremonies of Light and Dark (#3.11)" (1996)
[Marcus has just cleared out a bar, single-handedly]
Lennier: I see they trained you well back home.
Marcus Cole: Well, they said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger.
Lennier: And?
Marcus Cole: I'm not repressed anymore!

The actor really had fun with the role.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 May 2016, 6:27 pm

zkydz wrote:
I never read the books themselves. I don't read much fiction. I did read the comic series though as it was designed to compliment the show and fill in gaps.

For instance, when Talia Winters got her conditioning accidentally broken early and it turned out she was a sleeper agent for the Shadows, it was foreshadowed in the comic.

You should go to the IMDB page and read the quotes there. There are some gems. Especially from Marcus.
One of the books is considered canon, "To dream in the city of sorrows" by Kathryn M Drennan. I would personally have preferred more about Catherine Sakai and Marcus Cole, but that's just me.

Marcus Cole was an interesting character with some witty lines. Sheridan and Galen also had a lot of good lines. And Ivanova. The below is one of my fave scenes:

― Chief Seattle

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 7:21 pm

When I am being asked for emotional validation, for what I consider to be a logic problem, I have a saying --
"How would Spock answer."

I think of the Plato's Stepchildren episode, because he is physically capable of expressing emotion, but it causes mental strain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_Stepchildren

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:48 pm

zkydz wrote:

Ehm, I thought it was a sleeper agent for psi-corps. If I remember the series correctly.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 8:51 pm

Sigbold wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Ehm, I thought it was a sleeper agent for psi-corps. If I remember the series correctly.

I thought it was a faction of the psy-corp loyal to the shadows.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 9:16 pm

zkydz wrote:

Did some reading on the b5-wiki, and it seems the sleeperprogram is linked with black-ops organisations within both Earthgov and the Corps.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 5:34 am

Sigbold wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Did some reading on the b5-wiki, and it seems the sleeperprogram is linked with black-ops organisations within both Earthgov and the Corps.
It's been a long time, but in the comic, there was a last page where they were taking a 'doped up' or 'out of it' Talia somewhere with a shadow ship leaving Mars.

And it was shown that Earth Gov, and as such Psy-Corp, had factions loyal to the Shadows. They'd propped up a lot of people by way of elevating their power, and those people were all through the government.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 5:45 am

OK, I knew there was something about people in EArthgov being manipulated and guided by shadows:

Quote:
However, despite the successful opening of Babylon 5, trouble was brewing within the Earth Alliance. A growing number of people within Earthgov - including high-level politicians, generals, and members of PsiCorps - became determined to sabotage the Babylon Project. These people were deeply suspicious of alien races (especially the Minbari) and wanted Earth to become more isolationist and xenophobic. Eventually this group was aided by a mysterious man named Morden, who spoke for an ancient and extremely powerful alien race known only as the Shadows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_All ... bylon_5%29

It's in the part called "Rise of a Dictatorship."

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 8:05 am

What's Babylon 5 all about, anyway? I've only watched the first couple episodes with my mum.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2016, 8:15 am

zkydz wrote:
OK, I knew there was something about people in EArthgov being manipulated and guided by shadows:

I know about Morden. And people in Earthgov where being manipulated by the Shadows. However like I said I could not find a link between the sleeper program and the Shadows. Alto members of those black-ops groups seems to have been present when they wanted to control a shadow ship themselves. However I know remember that one psi-cop being present when that senator briefed Morden.