Does anyone ever feel like Data or Spock from Star Trek?

Page 6 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 1:09 am

StarTrekker wrote:
.....as opposed to wooden pawns to be moved around to keep the action plot going (that's kind of how I felt about TOS if I'm honest; we didn't really learn anything deep or meaningful about the characters as people until the movies came out).
Well, it was the decade that gave us Batman and Lost in Space...those were the big ones....
How about the crazy ones:
It's about time
My mother the car
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
And there were worse....

It was actually following the pattern of the time for story telling.

On the upside, the decade also gave us Dark Shadows :)

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy...It was literally appointment TV every afternoon for the 'big kids' in the neighborhood. every once in a while they would let us watch it.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 2:16 am

You're probably right, of course, Star Trek is the only show I've ever watched from that long ago, specifically because I can't connect with programs that are all plot, no character. The thing that kept me interested in TOS was the banter between Kirk, Spock and Bones. Even before I knew I was an aspie, I always sided with Spock and felt bad for him when Bones insulted him or his Vulcan heritage, or Kirk dismissed his logic and blindly followed his feelings (frequently into a disastrous situation). I also liked the subtle socio-political points Gene Roddenberry was making at the time. His use of alien culture to illustrate the absurdity of society's behaviour was very clever. I always liked the episode in which Kirk had to keep two racist aliens from practically killing each other on board his ship. One had white on the left side of his face and black on the right, while the other had black on the left and white on the right. They both hated each other because their skin tone was "wrong". Smack in the face for mid-20th century racism anyone?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 2:45 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
Is it true that the first few seasons of Voyager are rather boring? If so, could I potentially skip ahead?

I personally did prefer seasons 4-7, but that's just because I love Seven so much, and Kes, while a good character, can never compare. I think you probably could skip ahead without being out of the loop on too much of the major plotline, but you would miss out on some character growth. The Doctor, B'Elanna and Tom Paris all come to mind as the people who transformed the most from the beginning of season one to the end of season three.

There are really only a couple of episodes from before Seven's arrival that I would put on your "must see" list if you're planning on skipping over the first three seasons. They include:

"Faces" season 1 ep. 14: Tom and B'Elanna are taken hostage by aliens who are trying to cure their people of a fatal disease, and split B'Elanna into two people; human and Klingon (because she's half of each). This gives us the first clear look at who B'Elanna is underneath all her hostility and anger.

"Jetrel" season 1 ep. 15: a sort of PTSD-esque episode, Neelix meets the man responsible for the creation of the WMD which destroyed the planet his family was living on, and has to come to terms with the emotions he has never really addressed. An interesting and poignant backstory episode.

"Innocence" season 2 ep. 22: Tuvok is stranded on a planet with three small children who claim they were left there to get eaten by a monster, and he must look after them. A rather sweet episode that shows who Tuvok is as a father (because he has his own children on Vulcan) rather than just as a logical, rule-following starfleet officer.

"Flashback" season 3 ep. 2: Tuvok falls prey to what appears to be a life-threatening repressed memory, Janeway must mind meld with him, and is taken back to when he was a junior science officer under Captain Sulu. I just enjoy this one because it makes reference to the original ST movies, including the uniforms :)

"Darkling" season 3 ep. 18: The Doctor tries to make alterations to his program and winds up splitting into two personalities, himself, and an evil "Mr. Hyde"-like figure. An excellent showcase of Robert Picardo's superb acting skills, and enjoyably spooky.

"Real Life" season 3 ep. 22: The Doctor creates a holographic family for himself in order to better experience what a real family is like. This episode is hilarious, and heartbreaking, and probably my favourite pre-Seven episode of the lot.

"Scorpion" season 3 ep. 26: The first part of a two-part episode, the second half of which is the first episode of season 4. Our first introduction to the Borg and Seven.

Okay, so maybe there are more than "a couple" episodes here, but it's really hard for me to narrow down the best ones, because as far as I'm concerned, they're all the best!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 6:16 am

StarTrekker wrote:
.....Star Trek is the only show I've ever watched from that long ago, specifically because I can't connect with programs that are all plot, no character. The thing that kept me interested in TOS was the banter between Kirk, Spock and Bones.
It was goo dbanter, indeed. But honestly, it was the era of the opening of almost every show would have some sort of 'title card' that had "In color" and the letters were each some really bright color.

You've never really look at any of the dramas of the times? Oh man...it was definitely a different time as TV was shifting from being a 'verson' of a live vaudeville show.

And the writing on almost anything from that time period is so dated.

Do you remember the episode where the photonic Doc was doing the painting of 7 with her shirt off?

I saw some type of thing where they were talking about how the show was made.....They asked Picardo about the scene. All he would do was smirk at the camera, assure us that she really was topless and that (in some strange way he phrased it), but my version of it was, "Yes, I did. And they're magnificent."

It was just so....odd....LOL

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 12:29 am

StarTrekker wrote:
This depth of character exploration is also why DS9 has always been my least favourite. I'm going to be honest and bear a shameful secret here. I've never actually watched all of DS9. I quit halfway through season three because it couldn't hold my attention and I got sidetracked into starting Voyager, at which point there was no going back! To me, DS9 largely ignored its characters in favour of pushing the "political strife" story arc. Nothing ever seemed to happen except the space station would get dragged into political arguments between the Bajorans and the Cardassians, or the Jem Hadaar and everyone else in the Gamma quadrant, or field religious debates between the Bajoran high council and off-worlders living on the station who didn't want their children brainwashed into believing Bajoran religion...

... However, if anyone has anything to say that might redeem DS9 in my eyes, please tell me, because I really want to like it, otherwise, how can I call myself a real trekkie?!

DS9 is actually my favorite by far. I couldn't get into it when it was airing, but came back to it years later and watched the whole thing and wow. It is noticeably different from any other ST series. It's far slower-paced; characters develop over seasons, not episodes. It's darker both in its themes and in the behavior of the characters (which could be a good or bad thing), characters seem much more flawed and (in my opinion) complex... and their interactions and motivations are more deeply explored. I like these things about it. Other trekkies dislike it for exactly the same reason.

One issue with the series is unlike other Star Treks you kind of have to watch every episode in sequence to get the full effect. Stories aren't always cleanly wrapped up by the end of an episode or even a season, character development takes place slowly, and there are a lot more ongoing arcs; particularly in the last couple seasons where every episode is pretty much a "story episode".

So... my advice is to go into it expecting it to be a bit different, and to stick with it and watch it in order.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 3:21 am

Okay AJ, I'll make the time to give it another shot! One thing that did bother me rather about the other Trek series was that all the episodes were neatly wrapped up at the end, then never really discussed again. The end of "Real Life" was one that annoyed me the most; an ending like that should really have been brought up again, or at least referenced. What happened there (which I'm not mentioning because, spoilers) is definitely not something that just gets tidied up or swept under the rug, never to be spoken of again.

Zkydz, yes, I do think I remember the episode in which the Doctor was painting Seven naked! Wasn't that the one in which he gave himself the ability to daydream, and wound up getting stuck in his head and mistaking his dreams for reality, so the crew had to hook him up to the holodeck to see what he was experiencing? That was a funny one!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 4:17 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Okay AJ, I'll make the time to give it another shot! One thing that did bother me rather about the other Trek series was that all the episodes were neatly wrapped up at the end, then never really discussed again. The end of "Real Life" was one that annoyed me the most; an ending like that should really have been brought up again, or at least referenced. What happened there (which I'm not mentioning because, spoilers) is definitely not something that just gets tidied up or swept under the rug, never to be spoken of again.

Zkydz, yes, I do think I remember the episode in which the Doctor was painting Seven naked! Wasn't that the one in which he gave himself the ability to daydream, and wound up getting stuck in his head and mistaking his dreams for reality, so the crew had to hook him up to the holodeck to see what he was experiencing? That was a funny one!
I really don't remember the episode. What I remember was the documentary or special that literally kept bouncing back to that scene and Robert Picardo saying that she was topless, it really was him there, he wasn't talking but kept saying they were magnificent.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 10:39 am

I vividly remember the one with the holodeck Leonardo da Vinci. That was fun. I remember asking my mum about him, and she said 'he's a hologram.' I was quite shocked by that, and then she added, 'but he doesn't know it.' That made me think about a lot of things afterwards. :)

Thanks for the episode suggestions, StarTrekker! :D

It would be kind of nice if Janeway and Seven were a couple...Me and my silly daydreams. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 12:47 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
I vividly remember the one with the holodeck Leonardo da Vinci. That was fun. I remember asking my mum about him, and she said 'he's a hologram.' I was quite shocked by that, and then she added, 'but he doesn't know it.' That made me think about a lot of things afterwards. :)

It would be kind of nice if Janeway and Seven were a couple...Me and my silly daydreams. :D
Two things:
1.) Star Trek at its worst was still thought provoking and made people want to explore and do things. So, any gripe I have with the series differences should aways be framed within that idea. Think of it this way. Everybody is talking about DaVinci (see how I brought that around? I *AM* patting myself on the back...tank yew tank yew veddy much! Anda now for da bubble-a machine!!) And that idiot gadfly who's name begins with a 'Z' comes in. He starts talking about why he didn't like the Last Supper..... It's one point perspective, everybody is on one side of the table, the experiments with his paints and primers and lead are disastrous and it's flaking off and on and on and on.

Now, for the life of me, I can't figure who this "Z" guy is, but he sounds like an ass. That's because he forgot to tell you at the beginning that he's in awe of DaVinci. And any criticisms come from a point of all those spectacular things being done, that one is the one that just didn't measure up to the standards of other DaVinci works.

2.) You ain't the first there to do that. Crap...there were erotic 'zines in the 60's and 70's that had Spock and Kirk as lovers. Which just made me laugh even then because if that slut Kirk was off boffing every alien he could....ummm, wouldn't homosexuality be way low on that list of things? I mean, in a way, he's committed, by our standards, an act of crossing species for sexual gratification. I think riding the baloney pony would not be something of a stretch.

Edit: And, I do know why everybody is one side of the table.

Before he began, DaVinci announced that if anybody wanted to be in the picture, they had to get on that side. Everybody else was in the way and he shooed them out.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:33 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:

Okay, I'm totally getting back into Voyager now. If I'm not careful it may develop into a special interest...that's why I binge watch carefully.

I thought of Capt. Janeway as being either being bi- or asexual - pretty sure she liked men in canon, though?

And I just realized that Seven was the classic - almost stereotypical - ingenue. Or a damaged babydyke, if you will (see: 1980's lesbian fiction) .

I mean, sure, their relationship could also just be totally platonic, with Janeway as mentor/friend/parental figure but...why? ;-)

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:46 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
I thought of Capt. Janeway as being either being bi- or asexual - pretty sure she liked men in canon, though?
I'm not sure if a straight, gay or bi thing applies here. They were boffing other species, I don't think human sexuality was an issue. As a captain, they didn't try to turn her into Kirk and make her a slut. I just saw her as the leader who could not get involved....married to the ship and all of that. I know she had a relationship with a man at one point in the series though. Something about a dog (not confused with Archer on "Enterprise") that the ex kept or something.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 1:51 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

And I just realized that Seven was the classic - almost stereotypical - ingenue. Or a damaged babydyke, if you will (see: 1980's lesbian fiction) .

I mean, sure, their relationship could also just be totally platonic, with Janeway as mentor/friend/parental figure but...why? ;-)

TBH, I never read too much into Janeway's sexuality, I figured she's just a captain in uncharted territory and that takes all her focus. That's kind of what I liked about the show, it's almost sexually neutral. As for mentoring, etc, I do that a lot for people I'm not sexually interested in because I like helping people overcome obstacles. That being said, I've had to clarify my role repeatedly over the years when I help people (especially women, but there have been a few gay/bi men here or there too that confuse the relationship).

@Startrekker. Personally, my favorite was DS9, precisely for the reasons you hated it. I liked the fact that there was a long term story arc, and not just a bunch of "random encounters" like all the other Star Trek sub-franchises. As for character development, I've always felt the entire series was void of true character development because they won't move into situations where characters actually have to make tough decisions-- the kind where a main character may not come back. It's part of the "great 23rd century" meme, and how everyone is peaceful and friendly on Earth-- without conflict characters don't make real decisions, and then they don't develop. Just look at the main characters in each series (Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway): take an episode from the last season of the series, then apply the character as introduced in the first season-- their first season character would probably be making the same decisions as their last season character (no change in the character, thus no development).

edit: grammar.

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2016, 2:01 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

TBH, I never read too much into Janeway's sexuality, I figured she's just a captain in uncharted territory and that takes all her focus. That's kind of what I liked about the show, it's almost sexually neutral.
That has always been my take on it too. Good to hear that I'm not the only one to appreciate that quality.

<3 Turtles, wolves and dogs <3

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 2:02 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
@Startrekker. Personally, my favorite was DS9, precisely for the reasons you hated it. I liked the fact that there was a long term story arc, and not just a bunch of "random encounters" like all the other Star Trek sub-franchises.
I do agree with that assessment. I think DS9 was my favorite on an objective level. It's one of the reasons I liked Babylon 5. I knew from the beginning it was a planned 5 year arc that in hindsight was good. Things that didn't make sense in the beginning, or really at any point, did at the end. Expecially when you find out at the eventual end, humans had evolved to be much like the Vorlons. I don;t mind a long ride as long as I think someone is steering the story properly and has a goal.

Aristophanes wrote:
As for character development, I've always felt the entire series was void of true character development because they won't move into situations where characters actually have to make tough decisions-- the kind where a main character may not come back.
That's a good point. But, did you notice that when the character made a cameo in one of the movies, it was so stock and trade in execution?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2016, 2:05 pm

^ I too thought B5 was an excellent show.

<3 Turtles, wolves and dogs <3

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2016, 2:13 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
^ I too thought B5 was an excellent show.
Did you see the episode where 5 billion years passed and the last human was observing the history banks as the sun was about to go kaflooey?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13