Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 6:39 pm

So, not many fantasy baseball people here. How about just plain old baseball? I'm a Yankee fan, though an atypical one as I actually know about baseball and don't hate every player not on my team. I also don't particularly hate the Red Sox, though I certainly do not like them.

Anyone want to discuss the upcoming season?

El_Arquero
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

I'm a pretty casual baseball fan.
Also Blue Jay's fan! The 2015 season was a pretty good one for us, it's not every year the Jay's make the world series.

beakybird: looks like we're in the same division.Possibly rival teams?

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 9:52 pm

Ah, baseball. The best sport. I am from eastern Missouri, and I watch as many Cardinals games as I can. I think I might have missed ten games last season. GO CARDINALS!

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:35 am

El_Arquero wrote:
I'm a pretty casual baseball fan.
Also Blue Jay's fan! The 2015 season was a pretty good one for us, it's not every year the Jay's make the world series.

beakybird: looks like we're in the same division.Possibly rival teams?

Jays are looking stacked again this year. That rotation could use some work, but not as much as people think. The jays may lead baseball in runs scored, and a full year of Marcus Stroman will give them a legit frontline starter. He's a darkhorse Cy Young candidate. The bullpen was fortified a little with Storen I fail to see too many weaknesses on that team. Except they are very right handed in their lineup. But that's a small thing when those bats are Bautista, Edwin, Tulo and Donaldson 8O

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:39 am

(Sighs) One of these years the Cubs have to win. Right? The White Sox did, so can they right?

They blew it last year. As usual. At least nobody pulled a Steve Bartman this time.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:41 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Ah, baseball. The best sport. I am from eastern Missouri, and I watch as many Cardinals games as I can. I think I might have missed ten games last season. GO CARDINALS!

Agreed. My favorite sort as well, though the NFL is close for me. Probably not for you as they're taking your team away...

Cards are an interesting team this year. Not sure what to make of them. They barely did anything this offseason, and lost a bit of talent. All the while the Cubs have gotten better, and were the better team last year second half anyways. Cards always find ways though through their system. If Grichuk can cut down his Ks, he's going to be a legit top-flight power hitter in his league. Could be a RH Adam Dunn. He hits BOMBS. I see Brandon Moss bouncing back this year a bit too a full year removed from the hip surgery. A hopefully full year of health from Wainwright, hoping Carlos Martinez's arm troubles at the end of the year are a non-issue and continued growth from Michael Wacha. I think they bought nicely low on Jedd Gyorko too.

One of the more interesting teams to watch this season. I could see anywhere from a first place finish to barely over .500 and missing the playoffs..

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:44 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
(Sighs) One of these years the Cubs have to win. Right? The White Sox did, so can they right?

They blew it last year. As usual. At least nobody pulled a Steve Bartman this time.

They didn't blow it last year, they were just a year or two early. And they ran into the pitching version of themselves, and you know they say good pitching always beats good hitting. But no one thought that all of those hitters would hit the big leagues on fire the way they did last year.

Moving forward, if they cannot win with this core they never will. They sport what's probably the best lineup in baseball and have added to an already good rotation.

I really think this is the year for you guys. I just think the Cubs are going to decimate the NL and put up the best record in baseball.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:46 am

beakybird wrote:
I really think this is the year for you guys. I just think the Cubs are going to decimate the NL and put up the best record in baseball.

Yeah, they always say that. Last year was no exception. Would have fitted perfectly with the Back to the Future thing, too.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
beakybird wrote:

Yeah, they always say that. Last year was no exception. Would have fitted perfectly with the Back to the Future thing, too.

No this is the best team they've had since the Bartman years. Maybe better. Injuries and stuff happen But on paper, that's a very hard to beat team. Weakest link is the bullpen for them.