ADHD accommodations vs. autism accommodations

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 5:00 pm

Are they any different. I'm kind of worried that they are. I've only been diagnosed with autism, but I believe I have ADHD with autistic traits instead of autism.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Feb 2016, 5:18 pm

Same here and I'm really confused about it.. I don't have sensory issues like many describe, meltdowns, motor skill issues eye contact or any history of seizures..

I do however seem to have some negative traits like poor social skills and really bad ADHD which is a separate issue. My doctor never diagnosed me with ASD until I brought it to her attention, but even afterwards she thinks it's mainly ADD.

What's weird is I think very different from most people here, most here hate my ideas or the idea of a cure in general.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 6:27 pm

ADD treatment never worked for me but the kind of help I got after my ASD diagnoses was I had an aide and she was in every class with me and I would be taken back to the resource room if I got too upset in class or too disruptive and my work got modified to make it concrete for me and I still did the same school work as everyone else. I would sometimes have a different book to read than the rest of my English class because the books were too abstract so I didn't have a clue what was going on in them and it was very difficult to even come up with my own words to avoid plagiarism so I was allowed to use what I read. I have no idea what they do for people with ADHD for learning. Maybe take them to a different room to do their school work so they have less distraction and giving them more time on their tests and more time to turn their work in. But then again that can also apply to people with ASDs. I don't have a clue how I wasn't getting proper help without an AS diagnoses. The help does look similar to me. I don't know what would have been missing for my education without an AS diagnoses. Do kids with ADHD also have aides or get their work modified to make it more concrete?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 7:01 pm

League_Girl wrote:
ADD treatment never worked for me but the kind of help I got after my ASD diagnoses was I had an aide and she was in every class with me and I would be taken back to the resource room if I got too upset in class or too disruptive and my work got modified to make it concrete for me and I still did the same school work as everyone else. I would sometimes have a different book to read than the rest of my English class because the books were too abstract so I didn't have a clue what was going on in them and it was very difficult to even come up with my own words to avoid plagiarism so I was allowed to use what I read. I have no idea what they do for people with ADHD for learning. Maybe take them to a different room to do their school work so they have less distraction and giving them more time on their tests and more time to turn their work in. But then again that can also apply to people with ASDs. I don't have a clue how I wasn't getting proper help without an AS diagnoses. The help does look similar to me. I don't know what would have been missing for my education without an AS diagnoses. Do kids with ADHD also have aides or get their work modified to make it more concrete?

I forgot to mention I'm mostly asking about higher education. When I was in school I did get an aide, but I never remember them making my work more concrete. Maybe it's because I don't have too much issues with abstract thinking. I think my abstract thinking is actually above average, but slow. What really kills me is my executive dysfunction.