Page 10 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 12:41 pm

Think of a forum as your house.Some behavior can't be tolerated.If someone came in my home insulted me,kicked my dogs and tore up stuff I'd ban them permanently.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 12:47 pm

You need to be banned in order to know what I'm talking about. A ban is forever and just because ONE person holds the power and makes the decision. If anyone needs to be banned forever then Alex should make that decision after talking with the person.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:05 pm

AR15000 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AR15000 wrote:
Correlation does imply innate causality, princess.
oh really? so these graphs actually have meaning? woah 8O

http://i.imgur.com/s9yO5eX.png
http://i.imgur.com/DKJDn32.png
http://i.imgur.com/VTXfrNU.png

That's neither here nor there. You cannot *prove* anything with statistics. All you can do is show likelyhood. Where there is correlation the next step is to empirically demonstrate the cause.

By your logic we should believe that black Americans are hardwired to be violent ( because blacks commit more violent crimes than whites do in the US ) instead of examining the evidence and considering other explanations for their behavior that are environmental rather than hereditary.
you missed the point of those graphs. correlation between 2 data sets doesn't imply causation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

The guy is perpetuating racist garbage, and not being a really nice guy in the process.

He hasn't received a permanent ban yet.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:31 pm

nurseangela wrote:
You need to be banned in order to know what I'm talking about. A ban is forever and just because ONE person holds the power and makes the decision. If anyone needs to be banned forever then Alex should make that decision after talking with the person.

I'm guessing that Alex is too busy with other projects to deal with all the folks that cross boundaries.He has given the power to the mods.Follow the rules of the forum and you'll have no problems.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:49 pm

He got a warning, and now a temporary ban. It seem fair to me.

There's all of the rest of the internet for him to talk his racist s**t. If he wants to come here, and won't see sense, he can just hold his tongue instead. Or, if not, he can enjoy playing his 'I'm just a martyr to the truth!' game.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

Fugu wrote:
AR15000 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AR15000 wrote:

That's neither here nor there. You cannot *prove* anything with statistics. All you can do is show likelyhood. Where there is correlation the next step is to empirically demonstrate the cause.

By your logic we should believe that black Americans are hardwired to be violent ( because blacks commit more violent crimes than whites do in the US ) instead of examining the evidence and considering other explanations for their behavior that are environmental rather than hereditary.
you missed the point of those graphs. correlation between 2 data sets doesn't imply causation.

You both are arguing the same point. AR- you missed a Not in your prior post and said that correlation Does imply causation. Fugu responded and so it spun..

Angela
This is a perfect example of how quickly toxic the whole environment becomes when such behavior is allowed to continue unabated. If the user chooses to modify his approach, he's been given that option. But given that his response to the mod when being told to cool it was more insults to her and "giving her lessons to learn", while saying he doesn't care if he is banned, means it's not likely he will.

If that kind of stuff stays ongoing, many good members who like the forum precisely because it's one of the few that won't tolerate it, leave. And the forum will just become another pile of trolls and insults.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 2:30 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
If that kind of stuff stays ongoing, many good members who like the forum precisely because it's one of the few that won't tolerate it, leave. And the forum will just become another pile of trolls and insults.

Yeah, but when a forum is created with the express purpose of discussing politics, philosophy, and religion it naturally baits uncivil discourse even if that was not the intent when the forum was created. In real life, politics and religion are two of the topics to always avoid for those who want to avoid conflict. Is it possible to have consistently civil conduct with topics like this? Yes, but unlikely enough to consider it impossible for all practical purposes.

Just sayin...

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:53 pm

Raptor wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:

Yeah, but when a forum is created with the express purpose of discussing politics, philosophy, and religion it naturally baits uncivil discourse even if that was not the intent when the forum was created. In real life, politics and religion are two of the topics to always avoid for those who want to avoid conflict. Is it possible to have consistently civil conduct with topics like this? Yes, but unlikely enough to consider it impossible for all practical purposes.

Just sayin...

I don't think that's quite the point here, for me at least.

In such discussions, everyone can get frustrated and snap a bit here and there. We all do. But typically, in this forum at least, it seems exception more than the rule. People are able to move on - yes, Joe was snarky yesterday, but i can see what I said that might've spawned it or where he might be coming from that hit that button in him...or, if Joe says 'hey ease off', I can at least pause to see and own where maybe I went a bit overboard, look at why, and if relevant, apologize, alter in the future, whatever (as opposed to staying on a high platform and educating Joe about how he should be).

We do disagree here. I don't agree with everything you say about guns/silencers, though I have a warm spot in my heart for your love of homeless/abandoned dogs.. I don't agree with all of Angela's politics, but I admire her approach toward trying to understand people wired differently and finding middle ground between them.

If it were the rule, not the exception that everyone here announced that they don't care if they hurt anyone's feelings, and were all incapable of having any disagreement with anyone without resorting to constant attacks and snide comments then it's not just a less-civil discussion here and there where a few people get snippy but are also able to be adults, own their behavior, and recognize that what they say may produce negative responses, it's a full, guns blazing everyone attacks everyone in their path constantly.
It would be toxic.

Even beyond that though, is this to be a place only for white, protestant asd males? Or should asd people of all sexes (including transgender), people of all races, all religions be able to have a place to go where they can not be regularly subjected to 'proven facts' about how they are biologically stupid, aggressive, greedy, and all around inferior, courtesy of White Power Bill's website?

Last edited by 100000fireflies on 12 Feb 2016, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 4:12 pm

nurseangela wrote:

There are posting rules on this site for a reason. If you disagree with them, no one is forcing you to participate here. You can go find a forum (or make one) that never bans anyone, if that's what you want. The rest of us would like to not have to deal with racist trolls.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:

Just sayin...
so basically you're saying "being civil is hard, why can't I just throw mud?"

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AR15000 wrote:
Fugu wrote:
AR15000 wrote:

You both are arguing the same point. AR- you missed a Not in your prior post and said that correlation Does imply causation. Fugu responded and so it spun..

Angela
This is a perfect example of how quickly toxic the whole environment becomes when such behavior is allowed to continue unabated. If the user chooses to modify his approach, he's been given that option. But given that his response to the mod when being told to cool it was more insults to her and "giving her lessons to learn", while saying he doesn't care if he is banned, means it's not likely he will.

I understand what you're saying. I believe what I am trying to convey is that one person shouldn't be able to decide a banning. In my own circumstance, I also was in an argument with a mod who was abusing his privileges and right in the middle of the argument he banished me from the kingdom. The problem with this was that this mod is also gone from this same site because he had so many complaints against him. Because of that one run-in with that one mod, I am never able to talk to those people again. I would have been ok with a month or even a six month banishment, but forever is just too much. I think a person should get banned for what this person did, but do it for a month then let them come back. If they get banned 3 times then that should be final because that would tell me they are not going to change their ways.

Question: are we supposed to even know that this person was banned for a month?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:39 pm

wilburforce wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

There are posting rules on this site for a reason. If you disagree with them, no one is forcing you to participate here. You can go find a forum (or make one) that never bans anyone, if that's what you want. The rest of us would like to not have to deal with racist trolls.

See, I'm all about following rules, but others here are not - including yourself. This is what I'm talking about - you're already starting with the name calling "racist trolls". You, Wilburforce, are part of the problem and maybe you should leave.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:42 pm

Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:

Just sayin...
so basically you're saying "being civil is hard, why can't I just throw mud?"

I know you have a problem with being civil. You are also a name caller - "racist" and "bigot". You've probably called me a few more that I can't remember right now.

Darn, I flunked.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I know you have a problem with being civil. You are also a name caller - "racist" and "bigot". You've probably called me a few more that I can't remember right now.
it's ironic that you're telling me i'm not civil when you get emotionally involved with your position on a regular basis and just as regularly ignore things that disagree with your argument.

Last edited by Fugu on 12 Feb 2016, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:55 pm

AR15000 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[MODERATOR]

I'm exhausted and not feeling the least bit generous. Our resident know-it-all teenager, TheExodus, has been given a one month ban.

Seeing as I doubt he'll improve his behavior in that time, I expect I'll be smacking down a permanent ban in 30 days time.

[/MODERATOR]

I was wondering if he's yet another troll or if he legitimately believes all that racist BS. I'm white but I really hate anti-black racism.

I'm getting more of a "snotty teenager" vibe from Exodus, which I opted for a 30-day ban as opposed to a permanent one.

The problem with this age of information being available in seconds at your fingertips is we get a lot of people who think they're smarter and more informed than they actually are. It's possible he doesn't yet posses the discernment to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of reliable data. Time will tell.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)