Active but odd 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Over-formal 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 87

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 5:26 am

unnamed wrote:
Active but odd without Ritalin, aloof but odd with it! :)

I just saw this post now, I must have overlooked it before. For me it's the opposite with stimulants. Without them I'm passive, definitely leaning more to the aloof side, which I don't like because people seem to misinterpret my lack of initiation as me not liking them. Stimulants give me that energy, that push, and better focus on people so I talk more and become more outgoing... at that point though I'm leaning more toward the active-but-odd side of passive. I start talking a lot more spontaneously and on the fly - good in a way but it can be a bad thing too. Matt said it well as always:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
the best thing I could come up with on the fly would be a little weird or creepy - probably a worse persona to project than aloof IMO). So I probably do come off as sociable but people realize I have my slight odd-angles.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2007, 8:54 am

Active but odd that`s me :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 7:07 pm

Something I can say a bit more to explain the aloof - it happened again today and almost had me blushing. Where I work on site, some of these A/P clerks are pretty cute. I had one of the girls pss me and being I was real tired, could barely keep my eyes opened since it was just that kind of day, I couldn't even make eye contact with her - out of my peripheral vision I saw her kind of get stuck between modes where she was ready to greet me but just broke off with one of those smiles NT's tend to react to that kind of thing with (where its like they're trying to laugh it off but you still walk away with that feeling like - "Wow, I just f---ed up pretty good..."). For me in general I guess its again, those closed quarters and cramped type social interactions when you don't get to see them coming from a ways away, when you have to react sharp and quick, and when you don't have a rapport with em but feel partial obligation to aknowledge em and yet that nagging "But I don't know them well enough" - pulling a crisp response out of that one just doesn't seem plausible. If I have time and opportunity to actually work with someone and have a steady stream of communication we're straight and I can be pretty close to NT at that rate.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 7:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
For me in general I guess its again, those closed quarters and cramped type social interactions when you don't get to see them coming from a ways away, when you have to react sharp and quick, and when you don't have a rapport with em but feel partial obligation to acknowledge em and yet that nagging "But I don't know them well enough" - pulling a crisp response out of that one just doesn't seem plausible.

That's a situation where, in addition to what you wrote, I also have to be careful of my facial expressions. Apparently I tend to get a classic look that loudly says "Who are you, and why are you talking to me???" - certainly not the kind of message I wanna be sending in most cases. You know how those lovely messed up nonverbals can be... I haven't figured out how to keep them under control yet.

Quote:
If I have time and opportunity to actually work with someone and have a steady stream of communication we're straight and I can be pretty close to NT at that rate.

Even in those situations I don't talk enough, very rarely initiate conversation, but usually I'm happy to talk if the other person initiates (passive subtype)... Depending on the person too of course - some people I talk to a lot more than others (especially if I've had a good dose of coffee).

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:45 pm

All of them in some ways.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:45 pm

All of them in some ways.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 5:46 pm

All of them in some ways, but in this order (starting with the one most like me): Over-formal, stilted/ active but odd/ aloof/ passive. I switch back and forth between active but odd and aloof, but I am always over-formal.