how do your kids decribe sensory overload?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 6:39 pm

i wrote a fanfiction that has an charecter that in my headcanon is autistic. its basically a monologue from her p.o.v but how do i describe overload from a kids point of view? i was told therms i used were too adult and a kid woundnt use those descriptions. what do your kids call it or how do they decribe how it feels?

the character is a girl living in the late 1800s also so she has no knowledge of what autism is i commonly use the expression electricity in my brain some variation but she also wouldnt know anything about electricity since she is living in the wizarding world in the late 1800s

any suggestions?

thanx in advance

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 7:00 pm

Well, my daughter describes her selective mutism, which is a often a result of sensory overload as "the part of my brain that connects to my mouth gets broken." She told me that probably around the age of 7.

My son has said things along the lines of "my cells go too fast and my brain moves too slow."

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

Probably too late, but my son describes one aspect of sensory overload as people's speaking "sounding like buzzing".
He has also said that when people touch him, the information in his brain gets jumbled up.
Good luck with your writing!