How Aspergers helped me find the right person

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aoibreen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2016, 11:03 am

I originally joined WP in January 2011. I had just finished school and was in my second semester in a pre-college art class. I had recently discovered Aspergers, which had struck a cord with me. I joined to learn more about myself, and to not feel alone in my differences. I mostly read and lurked others posts.

One morning I got a message. I had included my small town address and someone from the same town found me in a search. We introduced ourselves and headed to facebook. I should have been more cautious but this time not shrugging it off paid off. It turns out he was studying in a college not far from me. We met each other, the most awkward moment of my life. But we kept in contact and eventually became friends, I dated a few people but he was very dedicated to his college work and then career.

After a long time we began to fall for each other, we eventually started dating. :heart: despite how slowly we came into our relationship, we moved in together within two months of dating. 8O

We have been living together for near a year now and it has not come without its difficulties... But I am so very glad that we have Aspergers as that's what brought us together and has kept us together. :heart: :D

I truly believe without Aspergers I would not be with such wonderful and thoughtful partner. In many ways our differences complimented each others in a way it would cause problems for others.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 11:40 am

^Aww! That's so sweet! What a lovely story! I, too, have Asperger's, and met my special someone on this very forum! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Feb 2016, 11:39 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^Aww! That's so sweet! What a lovely story! I, too, have Asperger's, and met my special someone on this very forum! :D
Same here for me but I also met my 2nd girlfriend on here but we were too incompatible.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 12:49 am

Those are great stories! I love hearing how people can find the positives in Asperger's because that I something that I am having trouble with. I married an NT but we get along very well with each other. She doesn't think that I am very unusual or different. I guess I can say that having Asperger's helped in me finding her, because if I had been an NT, I would have probably gotten married earlier, and wouldn't have been available when she came along.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 1:11 am

O.o

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 1:34 pm

ya oh well, your lucky you are in your early 20's when you met him

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 4:55 pm

Wow, someone comes on to share their experience of relationship success finding someone one the spectrum like themselves and being happy, and some people can only be negative and envious about it.

I for one am happy for the OP and her special someone, and hope they have many love-filled years ahead of them. :D :heart:

Perhaps people who can't be happy for others should take some time to think about why that is, and how that might be preventing them from finding happiness of their own. Envy, pettiness, and negativity are not exactly universally attractive traits.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2016, 12:40 am

I found that meeting people online doesn't work for me. However, there is a guy with AS who I'm interested in and vice-versa. I met him at my college as he hung around the same people I did and we've known each other roughly three years but have only recently started hanging out on our own times.

For the record, I have a nonverbal learning disability with possible ASD traits so neither of us are NT.