Page 39 of 41 [ 642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 1:03 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
In other words, not much different than people who spent their entire life as civilians.

Civilians aren't told over and over again that they're blameless heroes.

No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.

So, all civilians are worthless and all soldiers are the greatest thing since sliced bread???

Feel free to quote me where I said anything of the sort.

Oh, and the military isn't just made-up of "soldiers."

When you state "No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.", you are making the assertion that all civilians are as you portray them. That being thinking they're special and entitled not having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat. That sums up your opinion of civilians. Therefore my comment is clearly valid even if it makes you uncomfortable...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
In other words, not much different than people who spent their entire life as civilians.

No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.

So, all civilians are worthless and all soldiers are the greatest thing since sliced bread???

When you state "No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.", you are making the assertion that all civilians are as you portray them. That being thinking they're special and entitled not having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat. That sums up your opinion of civilians. Therefore my comment is clearly valid even if it makes you uncomfortable...

Nope.

Please quote me where I said civilians were "worthless" while soldiers are "great."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 2:50 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Nope.

Please quote me where I said civilians were "worthless" while soldiers are "great."

I clearly showed you saying civilians are worthless. By implication, you're saying that soldiers are better than civilians. Does that clear it up for you. Picky much???

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 6:38 pm

would it possibly be better if all our pols were picked by lot?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 8:53 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

You mean taxpayers? The people footing the bill to house, feed, and equip the entire military?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 12:07 pm

pcuser wrote:
I clearly showed you saying civilians are worthless. By implication, you're saying that soldiers are better than civilians. Does that clear it up for you. Picky much???

I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

If I meant that "civilians are worthless," I would've said precisely that. If you choose to infer that from my words, that's your problem, but I'm not going to sit here and defend statements I never made.

Clearer much?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm

MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

You mean taxpayers? The people footing the bill to house, feed, and equip the entire military?

Yup.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 1:28 pm

pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Nope.

This is silly. Go back and read this:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=305774&start=585#p7268648

What you see there is an approximate equation, not an inequality.

It looks like this: Military ≈ Civilians

Which has a totally different meaning than what you think you can read in later: Military > Civilians

The idea that civilians and soldiers are "entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat" is pretty much a cornerstone of modern western and global civilization.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 2:02 pm

Adamantium wrote:

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p7268648

Which has a totally different meaning than what you think you can read in later: Military > Civilians

The idea that civilians and soldiers are "entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat" is pretty much a cornerstone of modern western and global civilization.

Pretty much. Thanks, Adam.

To put a finer point on things, the main thrust of my posts is that all of the criticisms that were leveled at service members (and I don't necessarily think all of those criticisms are entirely invalid) are just as equally applicable to civilians.

As a military veteran myself, I just tend to get irked when I see slings and arrows being lobbed at military service as if military service is the only occupation of suspect virtue.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 2:05 pm

Even if the "cause" is wrong, why must we lambaste the soldiers who actually are forced to go into the "front lines" for this "wrong cause."

It is not they who are espousing the "cause."

It is they who are protecting us civilians, though.

gnossienne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2016, 2:13 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Support for third-party political candidates will never gain traction in the US.

^This line of thinking is the reason third-party political candidates are not currently gaining traction in the US.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p7268648

Pretty much. Thanks, Adam.

To put a finer point on things, the main thrust of my posts is that all of the criticisms that were leveled at service members (and I don't necessarily think all of those criticisms are entirely invalid) are just as equally applicable to civilians.

As a military veteran myself, I just tend to get irked when I see slings and arrows being lobbed at military service as if military service is the only occupation of suspect virtue.

I wish you had said that in the first place. It's quite clear what your meaning is now...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:47 pm

Politicians who become involved in sex scandals should never be given a second chance.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:49 pm

Politicians who become involved in sex scandals should never be given a second chance.

I'm pretty sure Hillary didn't have a threesome XD

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:

I'm pretty sure Hillary didn't have a threesome XD

:lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

tony the weiner must have a corpus cavernosum in place of his corpus callosum.