ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 5:08 am

Do you Skype. Are you willing to Skype?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 5:52 am

No and no.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 11:24 am

Yes I Skype with my gf a lot, very useful for keeping in touch without paying for extremely long phone calls, and the sound quality is usually better than ordinary phones. The video part is optional and the instant messaging thing works. Don't much like the idea of Skyping with anybody except loved ones. Wireless headphones make it much easier, they allow me to walk around the house while talking. I don't trust the makers of the thing, but so far they've not been able to shove ads in my face very much at all. I'm considering getting an alternative video/phone/messaging program, for better privacy (don't trust it too well for that), definitely not Facebook's videocall facility, I hate Facebook.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

1.Yes, As long as you don't spam me. If you do so I will block you.Image
2.Yes. Image
:D :) :lol:

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 3:52 pm

Yes - Skype works well.

:D

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm

No.
There would be little point to that.
Unless you know sign language.

I used to exchange Eyejot video mail with a deaf person I know.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 4:30 pm

Yes, I like Skype, although I don't use it a lot. I'm happy with video and voice calls.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2016, 5:43 am

Skype is okay, everyone seems to use it so it's kind of universal now. I don't really use it though, if I were to chat 1 to 1 with someone a lot I might prefer some other IM/video/whatever platform, but it doesn't really matter much.

ps, anyone can ask me for my skype username in a pm.

edit: didn't realize this was a old-ish thread.

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Feb 2016, 5:45 am

I'm fine with it if it's just with one person I know, maybe two people if I have enough spoons. but three or more and it's too overwhelming, especially cos I have a hard time telling voices apart, particularly over the crappy quality mics topped off with Skype's incredible[/sarcasm] sound.

I like my friend cos she's okay with silence for a while. Although due to time zones it can be hard to arrange a call when we're both free.

However with my girlfriend we'll often Facetime and just sit for hours in silence just enjoying each other's company. :mrgreen:

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2016, 5:49 am

A lot of posts here seem to forget that skype can be text only too, it doesn't always have to be videochat :p

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

29 Feb 2016, 6:10 am

I use Skype only to talk to friends who don't use Steam.

I very rarely voice chat on Skype, because voice chat is like using the phone in that it scares the heck out of me. When I do voice chat, it's almost always with people I know irl.

I avoid video chat like the plague.

I'm very picky with who I add to Skype. I only really talk to people who are already friends, and the exceptions are people that I need to type to in real time for utility purposes (e.g. specifying/giving feedback for art commissions that I'm paying for).

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

I stopped using Skype because it was one more thing to keep track of a few months ago unfortunately.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2016, 3:57 pm

I prefer the phone, if I have to have a verbal not present conversation.
I don't mind using Skype for one one on conversations. I have used Google Hangouts for a conference call type situation, and it was very frustrating.
I generally dislike the call quality on Skype, especially if/when there is a delay (my one friend I speak to on Skype is in Australia vs my US location, and it is very frustrating).
Lastly, if I am going to use a text based system, I prefer Facebook's. I can see when/if the message was delivered, if you have seen it, and, ergo, if you have decided to completely ignore me. It leaves out the guesswork of usual text messaging that makes you wonder if they are ignoring you, or did someone not get the message.