Should Carly Fleischmann have been forced into respite?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gretta351
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

Carly Fleischmann is a nonspeaking girl with autism who communicates and blogs by typing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBzJleeOno

Her parent send her to a respite facility every weekend, even though she asked repeatedly not to go. Should her family have listened to her? Should they have worked out alternative arrangements so they can get sleep while she can remain home?

Reason they sent her to respite is because Carly did not sleep so they got not sleep the family wanted to be a "normal family".

Last edited by gretta351 on 09 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm

Not enough information to answer the question.

gretta351
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

bump

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 4:06 pm

She wants to be a normal teenager. Parents make their normal teenagers do all kinds of things they don't want to. I can think of a lot worse than her having to spend weekends in a respite home. And it's part of her parents taking care of themselves so they can take care of her. Even in "normal" families, parents must take care of themselves in order to provide better care for their children.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 6:55 pm

What is a respite facility?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
What is a respite facility?

It's a care home designed to care for disabled people briefly so their regular caregivers can get a break.

As for the OP's question, I think that depends on why Carly hates going to respite care. I mean, worst case scenario, maybe she's going to a really bad respite care center and they're doing something abusive to her. Or it could just be that she wants to be normal and feels singled out because her peers don't go to respite care. Those two options would obviously call for different responses, as would any other options I didn't think of.