Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 10:47 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Saint Valentine, the day after which Valentines Day is named after, in real life, he was actually beheaded
LOL thats good to know in a morbid way, oh the irony!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:43 am

I think it's a stupid day. It's not even a real holiday. It only perpetrates old expectations of gender roles and traditional relationships.

sidharth sid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2016, 6:59 am

even me too hate valentines day
[url]="http://aap-punjab.blogspot.in"]AAP Punjab[/url]

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 10:56 am

What's the difference? Every day is lonely no body loves me day.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 5:27 am

When I was single and didn't have a bf or even a date it seemed so terrible to me and the days leading up to it were so depressing because I'd always be trying to get a particular guys attention and he never would be the kind of guy who would go out with me, I always aimed for some guy way out of my league for v day and that was a horrible idea.

I was married at 18 to an abusive douchebag and I divorced him at 20. I do remember that when I was 19 and married to him I had gone to sleep over the moon in love with him.on Feb 13th but somehow when I woke up that v day morning I was done. Absolutely done. Had nothing to do with v day and nothing unusual had happened recently and he hadn't been worse than usual so there was no big event that caused it but I just wasn't in love with him anymore and wanted to be as far away from him as possible. Just like that. So I woke him up and said "you have to go, pack your s**t" and got my mother to take him to his dad's house on the other side of town. She gave him $500 to bribe him to stay away too. He went to see his gf who had been one of my best friends and is now one again since he's on prison and she has nobody else to give her moral support, and I went and got a spiral perm in my hair. That was probably the v day that was the best for me ever.

Later on after I got married to my for real husband and we had kids we got each other candy and a card but we mainly got candy and stuffed animals and stuff for the kids. It became mostly about the kids, like Christmas. Now that they are grown we get each other a card or something and maybe candy but I always like to wait on that and go lager in the week and stock up on half price chocolate. I do the same for Halloween.

But the older I've gotten the less important the day is. I've been married 29 years next month so that has something to do with it but I know lots of married girls who are my age and been married this long too, and its somehow this really important day. It just hasn't been very important to me in decades. I'm glad of that though. No expectations or worry or blowing money.

My oldest son got his gf a pre engagement pearl ring and they are engaged to be engaged whenever he gets the money together to get her the ring he wants to get her and to propose the way he wants to do it. I'm glad for him and I like this girl.

My youngest daughter went out on a date with this guy she's been friends with but had the hots for for years. They went to see deadpool and then got pizza and came back here and played cards. My older daughter and her fiance watched TV and sat around and hung out with my younger son who is 20 and broke up with his gf in dec. He sat around sulky saying f*** valentines day.

I got some housework done and my husband and I kicked back and watched 80s movies and I cooked him a steak and potato. He's been working seven days a week since early January and will have to keep it up until june when this project is done but he took a day off and so I made sure he did t gave to do anything at all. So that was my valentines day and what everybody here did. It wasn't that much of a thing. I really wish I enjoyed it more than I do but I'm not very romantic to begin with.

So it's over now for another year, and time to go from red to green and from the nice glass of red wine to a big pitcher of free beer. Bottoms up!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 10:43 pm

thank goodness it only lasts 1 day

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 10:50 pm

*sigh* Here we go again. :roll: I wasn't going to respond to this, but I can't hold it back any longer. My parents got MARRIED on Valentine's Day. I know it's just Valentine's day to everyone else, but to me it's the day my parents tied the knot and have been together ever since, so it's something of a personal insult whenever people say bad stuff about it. Also I don't just see it as just a day for sweethearts. I see it as a day to show anyone special to you that the are loved and appreciated.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 11:50 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
*sigh* Here we go again. :roll: I wasn't going to respond to this, but I can't hold it back any longer. My parents got MARRIED on Valentine's Day. I know it's just Valentine's day to everyone else, but to me it's the day my parents tied the knot and have been together ever since, so it's something of a personal insult whenever people say bad stuff about it. Also I don't just see it as just a day for sweethearts. I see it as a day to show anyone special to you that the are loved and appreciated.
Sorry to break it to you but Valentines day sucks, if your still single its a reminder nobody loves you and you have nobody and your alone again for another year while all the others are happy and mingling and such! I say Valentines day can go to hell and shove it!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 12:51 am

if i were in charge i'd get rid of that day whose sole purpose, aside from fattening the wallets of hucksters everywhere, is to make lonely people feel totally worthless.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:36 am

Jono wrote:
Valentine's Day is always depressing. Especially when you have no partner.

Why is it depressing when you do...?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 8:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
if i were in charge i'd get rid of that day whose sole purpose, aside from fattening the wallets of hucksters everywhere, is to make lonely people feel totally worthless.

I agree with that point. I had a pretty good one last year but feeling the pressure of obligation to produce something special every year is overwhelming.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jan 2022, 10:29 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The amazing thing I find about Vday: All men hate Valetines Day, including men with partners.

And yes, it's ALL, not most, not some...it's ALL. Every one of them.

Every man in relationship I personally know hates it and finds it so stupid, yet they buy gifts and take their ladies to an expensive romantic dinner anyway, you know why?

Because they are too afraid if they do otherwise that their women would feel neglected, or that they would think of them as cheapskate. Sure, some women wouldn't care, but men would always take the least risky option.

It's simply they feel it's like an obligation imposed on them,.
I heard some guys before say they liked vDay because they were able to get sex on that day. They would buy something for their girlfriend/wife or plan something & that was the one day of the year when they were guaranteed to be rewarded with sex in return. Some guys also said they were able to get dates or girlfriend's for vDay by hitting on single & lonely women. I heard that dating site usage from men & women tended to increase around then because vDay makes some lonely people feel depressed about being single & can make some more desperate for a relationship. More people seeking dates & relationships at the same time means that some of those people are gonna match up with each other instead of all of them continuing to be single.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm

If I was still single, I would easily join all who hate Valentine's Day by saying this alongside:

"We must stop this Valentine's Day from happening! But in what ways possible!" :wink:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 10:02 am

I just read your post, please don’t say you will never meet someone. I didn’t get my first boyfriend until this year. So hang in there. The main thing? Just be yourself.

However, the best thing to do is do something that day which you enjoy. If it means volunteering somewhere or getting together with friends, then do that.

Want to know what I did last year? I bought a microwave and went out to lunch. I didn’t think twice about it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 10:07 am

my valentine's day is somewhat better this year due to capitalist men of good will [very rare bird, those] and new manufacturing technology.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 3:06 pm

Again, this year, I'll be meeting with my group in a garage in Chicago where we'll be reenacting the St. Valentine's Day massacre. It's good fun!

Oscar Meyer Lansky